Octpus flux - how do I get on this?

MrTWales

If you’re new to export and they have to get an export MPAN from the DNO then it’s often 10-14 days but can take longer depending on the DNO. If you already have an export MPAN then it takes just a couple of days for most people it seems.

• Like 1

The DNO letter has the MPAN in it already (well mine does anyway). Check your new smart meter - press the blue button 'A' until you get to the Export kWh. That's the reading Octopus use.

• Like 1

I think my smart meter is different, it just has up and down buttons. I've checked the G99 letter and it mentions something or other about max export but doesn't have any reference to a MPAN so I guess I'll have to wait. Mind you, the weather forecase is pretty crappy so at least I can use any excess for the water.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2023 at 13:49, Ferdinand said:

I will keep stumm and let them make wrong assumptions, but I will not lie to a supplier.

Why?

They're completely dishonest little swines that tell bear faced lies to consumers...

For example, that regulators require MCS certification for export payments; whereas in truth they simply don't want to pay for PV export unless (a) they're legally forced to by virtue of there being an MCS certificate or (b) you're part of their completely artificially priced and R&D /Marketing programme in load shifting (flux etc).

See exchange with the octopus chap below.

If they bare face lie to you it's only fit and proper that you return the favour IMO.

Screenshot_20230720-113112.thumb.png.81a6ed4939416ca660cf472d1c0fcb1c.png

Screenshot_20230720-113228.thumb.png.a10eb6c341b45e52c2c49dc5e74e12ee.png

Screenshot_20230720-113326.thumb.png.cd25c3b8159f943bfb55543b914ebfad.png

Screenshot_20230720-113332.thumb.png.7e38aa3487f2e6c4c614fe52d053e20b.png

That's an interesting conversation. I've had a similar conversation with Octopus and was told they couldnt accept combined export from both MCS and non MCS PV through the same meter.

I just found similar statements to those youve found in OFGEMs guidance for SEG licensees that allow them to pay for non MCS export. I think I'll go back to them and ask again

Just to update this - I am now on the Flux Export Tariff. 

For anyone doing through this process, it's worth calling Octopus if there are any delays. Eg the MSC cert had the wrong MPAN code so I had to get the installer to change this and send it on (it wasn't their fault fwiw), and when I called Octopus after a few days to make sure they had it it was just sat there but the moment I called it got forwarded on. Also, when the export was set up it it showed incorrectly in the app (as if it was an import on the variable tariff) but a quick call got it flagged correctly.

So now I can see that I exported 19.1 kWh yesterday (being on holiday now!), compared to 19.4 kWh as per the inverter app. So that seems pretty good, with £3.93 credit.

Well, being on this tariff certainly makes things interesting.

As far as I can see I can't change the priority discharge ordering in the inverter settings (to using the battery first) in the evening Flux period of 4pm to 7pm, but I can force a battery discharge. But if I discharge at 25% say, which is 1kw in my case, then it just pushes this much out and won't increase if the load is higher. If I discharge at 100% then the export is 4kw + solar - useage, which can be loads. The downside is potentially depleting the battery and having to import at the highest rate. It seems to me that the best solution is to ignore the first part of the Flux period and set the discharge from something like 6pm to be 100% with a cut off whereby the battery doesn't get below a certain point. The latter is just because it may mean importing at the heighest rate if the battery runs out, but not leaving much battery at 7pm isn't a disaster as the Flux export rate is probably very close to the standard import once effeciency has been factored in. 

There then is the Flux period from 2am to 5am. After efficiency it seems like importing then and exporting at the standard rate is virtually break even, maybe a tiny gain. So there is probably merit to just fully charging the battery in this period. I think I'll not bother recharging when the weather is good as the battery will get to 100% before 4pm on most summer days, but otherwise charge to a specific percentage figure.

9 minutes ago, markocosic said:

You're welcome folks. 😉

https://gtec.co.uk/clause-5-8-octopus-opens-up-the-solar-pv-market-with-a-paragraph/

(Octopus caved / reviewed their policy and has decided to heck with this MCS nonsense)

Thank you.  A BIG step forwards, lets hope other suppliers follow this lead and finally an end to MCS dominance.

I suspect MCS won't be at all bothered about this as their gravy train now is very much the ASHP market.

Speaking of which, how the f*** they managed to get their ASHP standard written into permitted development planning is beyond me!

8 hours ago, markocosic said:

You're welcome folks. 😉

https://gtec.co.uk/clause-5-8-octopus-opens-up-the-solar-pv-market-with-a-paragraph/

(Octopus caved / reviewed their policy and has decided to heck with this MCS nonsense)

That's a bit puzzling. After emailing them about this very topic I got the following in the last few days-

"Thank you for your email.

We currently do not have any plans to change our terms and conditions for solar tariffs. As such we only offer Solar tariffs to customers who have a MCS certified installation. If this ever changed we would update our website and solar pages accordingly.

Kind regards,

Harriet"

I'll email them the link above and see what they say.

Could you provide a copy of the emails please @Dillsue?

I'll raise this very bluntly with them if the dates on your emails are after the date they changed their terms and conditions.

Dishonesty is not permitted under the terms of their supply license; and to say one thing yet do another with the evidence in writing would be naughty / a fair reason to request the termination of the supply license; which is rejected if they agree not to do it again etc.

Greg Jackson has had a few conversations with people with non-MCS installations wanting to export on Twitter in the last few days- perhaps it was a spur of the moment thing? It looks like it was only yesterday that the news broke and there are still some tariff pages that need updating.

Edited by DougMLancs
For clarity

The terms that Google sent me to were last updated 18th July 2023. The email I sent went to seg@octopus and the email received came from hello@octopus and was dated 3 August-

"Hello Phil

Thank you for your email.

We currently do not have any plans to change our terms and conditions for solar tariffs. As such we only offer Solar tariffs to customers who have a MCS certified installation. If this ever changed we would update our website and solar pages accordingly.

Kind regards,

Harriet

Octopus Energy Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 09263424. Registered office: UK House, 5th Floor, 164-182 Oxford Street, London, United Kingdom, W1D 1NN

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 at 10:51, ******************* wrote:

Hi. I have a bit of dialogue with you customer services team who suggested
that I contact you directly as experts in SEG.

My query is do you have any plans or existing mechanisms to buy PV export
from non MCS installations. Whilst the general industry view seems to be
that it is mandatory for SEG payments to be paid only where the installation
is MCS certified(or equivalent). OFGEM guidance that I have read seems to
suggest this is not the case and suppliers are free to buy PV generated from
non certified installations.

Let me know what you think please.

Regards, Phil

07737 ******"

So by 5.8, you can self certify.

5.8 Where you are unable to provide MCS or equivalent certification under clause 5.5, you confirm that you are satisfied that the generation asset has been installed by a competent professional and meets all required industry standards and guidelines. Octopus accepts no liability for any loss, damage or injury resulting from the installation.

On 04/08/2023 at 13:07, Rob99 said:

Speaking of which, how the f*** they managed to get their ASHP standard written into permitted development planning is beyond me!

I asked MCS that question and they eventually answered that the PD rules were written by, the and the text of MCS-020 approved by, dluhc.  So basically they are denying that it's deliberate on their part.

I have submitted an foi to dluhc requesting the approval letter, the text to which it refers and some other documents.  I await a response which should, if they meet the statutory deadline, come within the next 3 weeks.  Meanwhile I have written to my MP (Conservative) asking her how the government defends creating a closed shop which stifles innovation and restricts supply, and other related but less 'loaded' questions.  I await the response.  I will summarise both on the ashp forum when and if I get them.  It would be good if others do likewise.

• Like 2