Final (hopefully) bit of tape and membrane done today

Thorfun

today marked us finally finishing our airtightness for the house. it's taken a loooooong time along with the insulation and I know we've done the best we can. we have our airtightness test booked in for Wednesday so fingers crossed we can hit my target of 1.0 ACH.

but the demons in my head keep talking to me and I've stupidly been listening to them and I'm really worried we're going to get a s**t score and all the effort we put in to it was a waste of time. I know that's irrational but try telling my brain that.

guess we'll find out in 3 days.

🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

the demons in my head keep talking to me and I've stupidly been listening to them and I'm really worried we're going to get a s**t score and all the effort we put in to it was a waste of time

Won't be a waste of time, once depressurised you can easily feel the leaks.

Main ones are windows and doors, they can be adjusted, forgetting to tape up vents for the test, keep checking you really have done them all.

Then there are the service penetration, squire silicone on the outside while the test is happening.

Loft hatch.

When @joe90 had his done, I did not tell him for days that the air inlet for his wood burner was blowing a gale. People that burn wood like that natural fresh air feeling. So kept quiet.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

forgetting to tape up vents for the test, keep checking you really have done them all.

damn! just remembered I need to remove the AAVs from the stacks and seal the pipes.

thank you!

20 minutes ago, Radian said:

I guess you also need to make sure all the waste traps are full of water.

don't have any yet! but all the soil pipes (apart from the afore mentioned AAVs!) are sealed.

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Don’t sweat it . Need to do mine soon - wonder if you can bribe the tester ? 🤔

not sure that's the point! but I'll ask mine....I'll say I'm asking for a mate...I'm sure he'll believe that

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Loft hatch.

the loft is internal to the airtight layer

Then there are the service penetration

services come in to the basement and I filled those holes with FM330 today

Main ones are windows and doors

all windows and doors fitted with FM330 and compriband and sealed with Tescon Profil. 

we've certainly done belt and braces. just hope it's good enough.

Edited by Thorfun
added doors and window sealing bit

10 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

remove

There will be more 

Telecoms entry, outside pipes and cables.

You can cling film over the bogs, just make sure your wife uses one before you do.

Edited by SteamyTea

43 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Trez bien.

Do you have any outside lighting? And how are they cabled?

Sink/washing machine waste, tumble dryer?

outside lighting hasn't been fitted yet. the cables are dangling inside waiting to be put through the wall but I'll be taping up any penetrations made by them.

I've not done the 32mm/40mm waste yet but all the exposed 110mm pipes they'll be going in to will be capped off.

we're even going to put the keys in the locks of the doors and windows to reduce any potential risk of leakage through them! 🤣

Qq on AAVs (maybe @Nickfromwales is best to answer?). Do I really need to remove them and cap the pipes for the Airtightness test? Aren’t they valves? so aren’t they closed until air is required? How do they behave when the internal air pressure of the house is reduced? Do they stay shut or open up as the air pressure in the pipe is higher than in the house once it’s depressurised?

34 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Qq on AAVs (maybe @Nickfromwales is best to answer?). Do I really need to remove them and cap the pipes for the Airtightness test? Aren’t they valves? so aren’t they closed until air is required? How do they behave when the internal air pressure of the house is reduced? Do they stay shut or open up as the air pressure in the pipe is higher than in the house once it’s depressurised?

They'll work fine for the depressurisation side of the test. They'll let a gale blow thorough for the pressurisation part.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

They'll work fine for the depressurisation side of the test. They'll let a gale blow thorough for the pressurisation part.

thanks. is it still worthwhile removing the AAVs and putting a cap on? could the gale that blows through after the test cause any sort of damage to the AAVs?

53 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

thanks. is it still worthwhile removing the AAVs and putting a cap on? could the gale that blows through after the test cause any sort of damage to the AAVs?

You'll need to seal them for the test. 

Either cap them or put a plastic bag over the top and seal with tape temporarily. 

You're unlightly to cause any damage IMO. 

• Thanks 1