Final (hopefully) bit of tape and membrane done today

Thorfun

47 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

You'll need to seal them for the test. 

Either cap them or put a plastic bag over the top and seal with tape temporarily. 

You're unlightly to cause any damage IMO. 

Our airtightness test will be done after sheeting - not concerned in terms of pass/fail as we've been fairly meticulous (all windows compribanded, airtight membrane seal and then airtight taped from frame to membrane, grommets on all service penetrations etc) but hadn't thought about AAVs (or the soil vent pipe which goes to the atmosphere), which will be boxed in. Is there much of an issue not having these sealed off and/or how do you go about doing that after the fact?

4 hours ago, Thorfun said:

Qq on AAVs (maybe @Nickfromwales is best to answer?). Do I really need to remove them and cap the pipes for the Airtightness test? Aren’t they valves? so aren’t they closed until air is required? How do they behave when the internal air pressure of the house is reduced? Do they stay shut or open up as the air pressure in the pipe is higher than in the house once it’s depressurised?

If it was my house, I'd cap everything and go to the nth degree to get the actual ACH of the fabric. What is the point in doing all of the work up to that point, if a slightly faulty / leaky valve then gives you a shite ACH score!?!?!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If it was my house, I'd cap everything and go to the nth degree to get the actual ACH of the fabric. What is the point in doing all of the work up to that point, if a slightly faulty / leaky valve then gives you a shite ACH score!?!?!

yep. it's a very fair point thank you. consider it done!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

These need to remain accessible?

They've not been boxed in yet but presumed they would be - plumber had previously said about access for rodding eyes and the like so we'll catch that when finishing sheeting this week. Cheers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

These need to remain accessible?

18 minutes ago, eandg said:

They've not been boxed in yet but presumed they would be - plumber had previously said about access for rodding eyes and the like so we'll catch that when finishing sheeting this week. Cheers. 

i think @Nickfromwales was talking about the AAVs needing to be accessible rather than the soil pipe?

could this possibly be a crossed-wires situation?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Thorfun said:

i think @Nickfromwales was talking about the AAVs needing to be accessible rather than the soil pipe?

I think he is - and it's a good reminder before we finishing sheeting not to box anything in that we need access to but can't get to. (Think AAVs are to be hidden in cupboards, rather than sheeted, anyway but shall confirm with the principal interior designer). 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

53 minutes ago, eandg said:

I think he is - and it's a good reminder before we finishing sheeting not to box anything in that we need access to but can't get to. (Think AAVs are to be hidden in cupboards, rather than sheeted, anyway but shall confirm with the principal interior designer). 

Cheer for the clarity. Rodding points not so much of a worry, and usually just a tick-box for BCO's. AAV's defo need access or locating strategically ;) Good that you have that in hand already.

and the results are in..............

........0.98ACH!

i'm very happy and hit my target of 1ACH. could we have got it lower? maybe, but we calculated the internal volume at just over 1400m3 over 4 stories (basement, ground floor, first floor and loft) and it's got some interesting junctions between sections of the buildings so i think to get in below 1ACH is a job well done.

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

........0.98ACH!

i'm very happy and hit my target of 1ACH. could we have got it lower? maybe, but we calculated the internal volume at just over 1400m3 over 4 stories (basement, ground floor, first floor and loft) and it's got some interesting junctions between sections of the buildings so i think to get in below 1ACH is a job well done.

Great result, the place is huge, so good effort

👍

• Thanks 1

A bco once told me that air pressure tests for very large volumes  ( esp high) are not accurate.   I  think that the fans just struggled to keep the space full or the air was buffeting around.

That was in the first year of apt, so presumably resolved now.

2 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

A bco once told me that air pressure tests for very large volumes  ( esp high) are not accurate.   I  think that the fans just struggled to keep the space full or the air was buffeting around.

Why dont you just dump in his toilet and tell him its chocolate, lol...he was so happy with the result.

• Haha 1

I'm just saying in case it alters any real life designs. I'm not questioning the result but there is always more to learn.

1 is very good though, well done.

Last time I supervised one they wanted the upper floors closed off by shutting doors. 

No suggestion of that with your multiple floors?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

7 minutes ago, gravelrash said:

Why dont you just dump in his toilet and tell him its chocolate, lol...he was so happy with the result.

still am happy despite what @saveasteading says. he did finish with 'presumably resolved now' so I'm sticking with that. the guy seemed to have the correct equipment and we could definitely feel a few areas where air was coming in that we resolved there and then.

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

........0.98ACH!

I’m gonna beat that now ! 

• Like 1

Just now, saveasteading said:

I'm just saying in case it alters any real life designs. I'm not questioning the result but there is always more to learn.

1 is very good though, well done.

Last time I supervised one they wanted the upper floors closed off by shutting doors. 

No suggestion of that with your multiple floors?

none at all. tbh, it would be impossible as we haven't got any doors! 🤣

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, pocster said:

I’m gonna beat that now ! 

Remember that you can beat an egg, but not a w.......elshman

Not sure if it is better in shut up room.

Edited by Nickfromwales
I need no reason, as I am the Messiah.

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Remember that you can beat an egg, but not a w.......

Not sure if it is better in shut up room.

Bad language will not be tolerated ! Mods !

Edited by Nickfromwales
See above. ;)
  • Haha 1