Costs of each part of a self build

Hi all

im sure something already exists on this, but I’m struggling to find it, so if someone could point me in the right direction, I’d be grateful. 

I am just doing some budgeting and want to work out what extra costs I can expect beyond the actual build costs and architect fees? We’d be looking at building a 1.5 storey of about 150sqm in the South East. 

thanks 

get it properly QS'd by someone like estimators.com and then add 20% contingency. It's what the banks would use if they were funding the build so not far off.

An cheap  cost would be £2500 m2 / £375k nicer finish/difficult build £3500 m2 £525k

Edited by Dave Jones

34 minutes ago, Katie AG said:

I am just doing some budgeting and want to work out what extra costs I can expect beyond the actual build costs and architect fees

• phone calls
  • trips to the BM
  • networking
  • administration 
  • the costs associated with the mental stress of building
  • research time
  • the stress imposed on partnerships
  • the effect of the build on children
  • the time wasted on Build Hub 😉

Sorry I think I’ve actually phrased this wrong. We are looking to use a main contractor, so really I mean costs beyond building the house (costs to main contractor for materials and labour). 

Things like, SE, QS, surveys, warranties etc etc

16 minutes ago, Katie AG said:

Things like, SE, QS, surveys, warranties etc etc

All the things that are made from paper and ink.

@ToughButterCup stopped posting up what his professional fees and indemnity policies were costing him when I pointed out they had reach the price of my house.

Some to start with

Services, connection / installation 

Site Insurance - inc public liability /employer liability.

SE

SAP / EPC

GI

Warrantee [if not provided by main contractor - all our quotes excluded it]

Architect.

BC

Planning

Uplift on the contractor's low PC Sums,

Stuff for new house:- Carpets, Flooring, Blinds, Curtains, bathroom cabinets. Fancy Light fittings, new furniture etc etc

Take away meals.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blooda said:

Some to start with

Services, connection / installation 

Site Insurance - inc public liability /employer liability.

SE

SAP / EPC

GI

Warrantee [if not provided by main contractor - all our quotes excluded it]

Architect.

BC

Planning

Uplift on the contractor's low PC Sums,

Stuff for new house:- Carpets, Flooring, Blinds, Curtains, bathroom cabinets. Fancy Light fittings, new furniture etc etc

Take away meals.

Take away meals 

So true 

Yes I would certainly encourage you to get estimates from the service suppliers sooner than later - can be done online and can be as little as £3k depending upon the site and connections available etc.  Beyond that, things like warranties - depends upon your intentions - are you going to stay in there for longer than 10 years? If so there is an arguement not to bother. Otherwise I guess you could be looking at £4k plus - again it may depend on how the build is being finanaced. Ground surveys about £2k I guess.

Take a look at my blog - there are some costing on there for a 165sq m 1.5 house but be mindful the costs are 5 years old now so allow some uplift.

I hope this helps.   

• Thanks 1