Design ideas??

5 hours ago, Katie AG said:

Do you have dormers? I know you’ve sent plans, but I can’t quite figure it out!!

yes one dormer. I’ll take a picture of it and add it. We doubled the length of ours to allow a bath and shower 

19 hours ago, ETC said:

Ah yes, it’s frosted glass. I hadn’t considered that. Should be totally fine then!

mum really loving this design. The only concern I really have now is the garden size. I’m assuming the whole house (or even the western side) can’t move south at all as this wouldn’t allow turning space? Could this section of the house just be shortened and widened slightly to give some more garden at the very end?

the other thing I was thinking is could the whole eastern part go, but the current entrance hall be slightly wider and contain a small box room study in it somehow?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Katie AG said:

Ah yes, it’s frosted glass. I hadn’t considered that. Should be totally fine then!

mum really loving this design. The only concern I really have now is the garden size. I’m assuming the whole house (or even the western side) can’t move south at all as this wouldn’t allow turning space? Could this section of the house just be shortened and widened slightly to give some more garden at the very end?

the other thing I was thinking is could the whole eastern part go, but the current entrance hall be slightly wider and contain a small box room study in it somehow?

Meant to say ‘I’m’ Loving the design. Although I’m sure my mum would like it too!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ETC said:

Hi there,

A (slightly) shortened version. Hope you like it.

IMG_2915.png

IMG_2916.png

IMG_2917.png

This is amazing!!

thanks so much. We’ve just been out in the garden and paced it all out. Once the hedges are cut back we will actually have more space than we can see now and I think the 10mx8m garden on option 2 could actually work for us. however, it’s fantastic to know that we could actually get everything we wanted in a smaller footprint if that’s what planning specified. 

many idea how much this sort of thing would cost to build? I know people say 2500-3000sqm (as we would need a main contractor), however, do you have any idea if this is on the top or bottom end of that?

Glad you like it - sorry I have no idea of the cost but I’ve made the design quite simple to build - standard cavity wall construction and a few steel purlins. The cladding will add a bit of cost depending on what type up go for.

I was also looking at another option - but I think it’s too big. It’s posted below FYI.

Let me know if you need anything else. Also be aware that it’s a line drawing so the sizes will vary once you put walls on it.

Thanks

ETC.

14 minutes ago, ETC said:

Glad you like it - sorry I have no idea of the cost but I’ve made the design quite simple to build - standard cavity wall construction and a few steel purlins. The cladding will add a bit of cost depending on what type up go for.

I was also looking at another option - but I think it’s too big. It’s posted below FYI.

Let me know if you need anything else. Also be aware that it’s a line drawing so the sizes will vary once you put walls on it.

Thanks

ETC.

That’s really kind. Thank you. 

I can’t see anything posted below….

I’ll add some colour tomorrow. Basically a wedge shaped upstairs and flat roof out shots to the front and rear.

The main part will be the wedge - cladding and the flat roof parts contrasting with white K-Rend - very fashionable!

The wedge is the best way to bet the stairs to work keeping the ridge height within 6m.

Also attached an elevation for another member using a similar concept - albeit a single storey house.

IMG_2925.png

IMG_2923.png

IMG_2922.png

IMG_2787.png

10 hours ago, ETC said:

I’ll add some colour tomorrow. Basically a wedge shaped upstairs and flat roof out shots to the front and rear.

The main part will be the wedge - cladding and the flat roof parts contrasting with white K-Rend - very fashionable!

The wedge is the best way to bet the stairs to work keeping the ridge height within 6m.

Also attached an elevation for another member using a similar concept - albeit a single storey house.

IMG_2925.png

IMG_2923.png

IMG_2922.png

IMG_2787.png

Ooh very interesting! I’d never even considered that sort of design. I like the thought of having a roof light on the flat roof above the master bedroom and staring up at the sky!

i think it is probably a little too close to the boundary on the left for planners to be satisfied as they did mention they’d like it a little further from the boundary. Could potentially go a metre to the right and then a metre down (to avoid RPA) if cars would still fit 

3 hours ago, Katie AG said:

thought of having a roof light on the flat roof above the master bedroom

Been there, then when it rained wished I hadn't, made a racket.  Since then velux and roof lights in general have been of the agenda in bedrooms

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

Been there, then when it rained wished I hadn't, made a racket.  Since then velux and roof lights in general have been of the agenda in bedrooms

2 minutes ago, Russdl said:

I second what @JohnMo says.

We had a velux in our previous place, never again, it was a bit like being inside a kettle drum when it rained. 

is this still the case with their triple glazed roof lights?

we have one in our utility room but i've not stood under it to listen for rain noise. and, tbh, with the garage being open and next to it with no door between at the moment all i would be able to hear would be the rain from outside through the garage!

Edited by Thorfun

12 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

No idea.

Ours were double glazed velux, one in the en-suite and one in the hallway outside the main bedroom and only listened to at night when it was quiet. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Russdl said:

No idea.

Ours were double glazed velux, one in the en-suite and one in the hallway outside the main bedroom and only listened to at night when it was quiet. 

we have the CVU25Q + ISU1093

https://weshare.velux.com/A/We Share/243494?encoding=UTF-8&key=888d31a936806774ffb4b0e932799a21dde65c90&_ga=2.5929083.953101229.1684333554-530800935.1684333525

according to the above datasheet that's 42dB insulation.

53 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

The top of the range 3G noise reduction ones ('0062' type) are much better. I can now sleep through many rainstorms (2 large Velux windows in the bedroom) which was impossible before with the 2G ones.

Edited by Sparrowhawk
Add Velux glazing type
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

what's the sticky out bit on the second floor? I can't seem to correlate that to the plans!

image.png.249eb8af11042df910d907ea82d6f82d.png

I'd be making a lovely massive roof terrace out the back on the flat roof. or at least a walkable on green roof. 🙂 

Edited by Thorfun

5 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

what's the sticky out bit on the second floor? I can't seem to correlate that to the plans!

image.png.249eb8af11042df910d907ea82d6f82d.png

I'd be making a lovely massive roof terrace out the back on the flat roof. or at least a walkable on green roof. 🙂 

Just a velux window flush to the roof, no?

1 minute ago, Katie AG said:

Just a velux window flush to the roof, no?

maybe but seems to have a rather large shadow for a flush fit Velux!

gives the impression of an awesome sticky-out window seat type thing but I forgot that's the sloping roof

Edited by Thorfun

@Thorfun

@Katie AG

Hi - both great guesses but it’s a dormer window for the bathroom at first floor level. The bath will be directly behind the window.

If you wanted to use the flat roof as a terrace I’d certainly consider moving the master suite upstairs with direct access.

• Like 1