Design and build turnkey options

Like @ProDave says, the juice needs to be worth the squeeze. 

We could have bought somewhere nice ourselves for about €220k in 2015 before the house prices went so mental here. Had we then chucked 50k at thermal upgrades, we'd have been done.  Could have had plenty of time for going to the seaside with the kids. 

In reality I really wanted to build a house, always have done.  I enjoyed the research, the discussion the learning etc etc. We had a mortgage of €300k and a builders bill of about €220k. We could afford to rent all through the build and I was able to do lots myself. However I still got mega stressed towards the end. The feeling of banging my head against a brick wall while trying to get it over the line, being physically exhausted, toddler being a toddler and Mrs about to pop number 2 really was too much and in hindsight it really took from the enjoyment of building. 

If you had added living with parents and not having a comfortable budget it wouldn't have been worth doing, possibly to the point of causing some permanent mental or physical damage to my health. 

@Katie AG please proceed with caution. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

Like @ProDave says, the juice needs to be worth the squeeze. 

We could have bought somewhere nice ourselves for about €220k in 2015 before the house prices went so mental here. Had we then chucked 50k at thermal upgrades, we'd have been done.  Could have had plenty of time for going to the seaside with the kids. 

In reality I really wanted to build a house, always have done.  I enjoyed the research, the discussion the learning etc etc. We had a mortgage of €300k and a builders bill of about €220k. We could afford to rent all through the build and I was able to do lots myself. However I still got mega stressed towards the end. The feeling of banging my head against a brick wall while trying to get it over the line, being physically exhausted, toddler being a toddler and Mrs about to pop number 2 really was too much and in hindsight it really took from the enjoyment of building. 

If you had added living with parents and not having a comfortable budget it wouldn't have been worth doing, possibly to the point of causing some permanent mental or physical damage to my health. 

@Katie AG please proceed with caution. 

Thank you. We have heard quite a few horror stories. 

I really wonder how much of these stresses are avoidable with good research and use of a fixed price option?

3 hours ago, Katie AG said:

these stresses are avoidable with good research and use of a fixed price option?

Yes you can pay people to take your stress, but they are taking on your risks and will charge tidily for it.

Costs rise from the lowest level at skilful self build, increasing every time the responsibility is handed over to consultants and contractors. Highest cost for complete turnkey with project manager and a single main contractor on a fixed price. Could double the cost. But probably a better job.

On second thoughts, the highest cost will be with an overconfident, non-skilled self builder who has to do things twice, and has chosen the wrong contractors.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Katie AG said:

Thanks for advice. I had definitely thought about contingency. Is the amount lessened when dealing with a fixed price main contractor or turnkey service?

tree is a sycamore and it’s sandstone

Contingency decreases but price increases. 

Sycamore is a big, thirsty tree which requires deeper foundations if in clay. But sandstone is not affected in the slghtest. How deep to the stone?

4 hours ago, Katie AG said:

I really wonder how much of these stresses are avoidable with good research and use of a fixed price option?

What we really need is an option like buying a toaster.  Pay one person, get one product. 

If you could find a good company this is a good route. Not terribly entertaining for someone like me who wants to get stuck in however. 

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Contingency decreases but price increases. 

Sycamore is a big, thirsty tree which requires deeper foundations if in clay. But sandstone is not affected in the slghtest. How deep to the stone?

I don’t think we have any clay round here. I have the results of a desk study for a development opposite our house. Photo attached. Seems to indicate 60-90cm to bed? Although we are about 15 miles from Guildford. 

D8B86193-19D3-4E2F-B6E8-322C56E4B0D4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Iceverge said:

What we really need is an option like buying a toaster.  Pay one person, get one product. 

If you could find a good company this is a good route. Not terribly entertaining for someone like me who wants to get stuck in however. 

Unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of excitement and getting really involved, but would love to! 
we know we will be paying a premium, but willing to factor that in and still feel the gains are worthwhile for us (based on what we know so far)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Katie AG said:

Seems to indicate 60-90cm to bed?

That is good then. Standard footings. Also helps when a building can be simple construction, as no fancy Engineering is needed, and normal builders can build it.

Next risky things....can the drains simply be coonected to the main sewers, and can mains supplies come straight from the rosdside?

Then choose a nice standard house design.

1 hour ago, Iceverge said:

That exists. That was my business, but not in housing. Architect/Engineer in house. No outside fees, and knew how to do what we did. 

It is very efficient, and someone round you must do it.

The other benefit is that a contractor knows the costs attached to decisions and can advise from the start.

Disadvantages ? Only that they are not going to pass on free advice until appointed, and that some clients don't like to/ can't put their trust in one party.

I took on risks, but preferred that to being beholden to project managers who often like to show how tough they are and create disputes. 

I don't know where you should start to look.

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Yes you can pay people to take your stress, but they are taking on your risks and will charge tidily for it.

This earlier statement seems to contradict what i just posted.

I was being general.

In our business I worked out a formula on adding risks and overheads and applied it whether in competition or negotiating. It was only fair, and negotiating causes less overhead anyway.

Not all businesses will do that.

In general the parties share risk. But risk can be reduced through knowledge and collaboration.

55 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

That is good then. Standard footings. Also helps when a building can be simple construction, as no fancy Engineering is needed, and normal builders can build it.

Next risky things....can the drains simply be coonected to the main sewers, and can mains supplies come straight from the rosdside?

Then choose a nice standard house design.

I think utilities should be ok. I know water comes from the front of our current house so that could easily run through, but not sure about electricity. Architect I spoke to that came to visit didn’t seem to think it would be an issue when I asked. 

no idea on sewers. I know a new soil pipe we had was going to be connected to a drain right in front of the current garage which is  actually behind our current house (see previous posted site plan) so that would only be 10m or so from the new proposed dwelling. No issue with access as obviously we own the whole site. Maybe there’s something I’m not considering though?

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

@Katie AG

Might be worth doing a scaled sketch of what you currently have, putting in the position of the current services, road access etc.

There are a multitude of rules and I doubt 1 person knows them all. Why a community like Buildhub is useful.

I genuinely don’t know where any services are! I just know water is by drive and sewer in front of garage. See attached plan. 

39531273-3A67-4D01-9589-49F354E1DE1A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Katie AG said:

I genuinely don’t know where any services are! I just know water is by drive and sewer in front of garage. See attached plan. 

Most don't so do not panic. You just get the groundworkers to dig slowly carefully. Finding "buried treasure" is something you'll factor in and accept as a known eventuality, and you'll deal with a break if and when it happens ( out of your contingent fund ).

6 hours ago, Katie AG said:

Did you get any other quotes and how did they compare?

One quote was more expensive, probably mostly due to the distance they'd have to transport the kit and accommodate the site team. I'm still awaiting 2 other quotes.

• Thanks 1

On 30/04/2023 at 09:11, Katie AG said:

Did you get any other quotes and how did they compare?

@Katie AG
Received another quote (PH15) this morning. Much more expensive at £824/m2 excluding erection labour
All these quotes are for frames only, no windows/doors.

3 hours ago, Furnace said:

@Katie AG
Received another quote (PH15) this morning. Much more expensive at £824/m2 excluding erection labour
All these quotes are for frames only, no windows/doors.

Thanks for the update. Who are you getting to erect frame and other bits? Main contractor or are you project managing? 

3 minutes ago, Katie AG said:

Who are you getting to erect frame and other bits? Main contractor or are you project managing? 

I've not decided yet and am still awaiting the last quote. My guess is I will go for a supply and erect package up to watertight, and then arrange follow on trades thereafter. But until I form a more definitive project plan that I think addresses the numerous areas that might trip me up I'm undecided.

7 hours ago, Furnace said:

I've not decided yet and am still awaiting the last quote. My guess is I will go for a supply and erect package up to watertight, and then arrange follow on trades thereafter. But until I form a more definitive project plan that I think addresses the numerous areas that might trip me up I'm undecided.

Do you mind me asking what your budget is?