Covering up damp on wall

I have a white wall that surrounds the base of a tree. The paint started bubbling so I stripped it back, filled it, used stain block and used masonry paint. It looked great for a few weeks and now it’s yellow and damp once more.

What else should I do!? I don’t mind a bodge that needs redoing every year or two, but every few weeks is too much! I think it’ll always be damp… 😬

any advice appreciated!

9413D4F6-D137-484D-B333-BCF023AD6048.jpeg

Dig all the dirt out, line with several millimeters of GRP. Then, after a month, put the dirt back in.

Leave for several years for the wall to dry properly.

Then repaint.

Probably won't work.

You could try the opposite. GRP the outside and hope it is not too damp to stick to the wall.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, TonyMorris said:

I have a white wall that surrounds the base of a tree. The paint started bubbling so I stripped it back, filled it, used stain block and used masonry paint. It looked great for a few weeks and now it’s yellow and damp once more.

What else should I do!? I don’t mind a bodge that needs redoing every year or two, but every few weeks is too much! I think it’ll always be damp… 😬

any advice appreciated!

9413D4F6-D137-484D-B333-BCF023AD6048.jpeg

Hi.

What is that 'planter' made out of? Breeze block? Is there any liner inside it, and is there drainage for when it's raining? 

25 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hi.

What is that 'planter' made out of? Breeze block? Is there any liner inside it, and is there drainage for when it's raining? 

Hi, it was done by the previous owners so I’m not sure - but I’d presume soil drainage (the tree is huge) and no liner. Thanks!

Just now, TonyMorris said:

Hi, it was done by the previous owners so I’m not sure - but I’d presume soil drainage (the tree is huge) and no liner. Thanks!

It's probably block then, which is like a teabag.

Take all the paint off, scratch it up, and apply a new layer of waterproofed render. Maybe that would hold the damp from getting to the back of the paint.

Either..

Dig out and paint the inside with a liquid tanking medium as used for basements right to the bottom. Then eventually the wall should dry out enough to allow paint to survive.

Or..

Build another wall around it with a cavity between. Bottom course in engineering bricks with empty perps for drainage and a DPC on top. Put paving slabs or similar on top of the wall to cover the cavity? 

• Like 1