Knauf aquapanel under Karndean floor

Just got some 6mm aquapanel for the bathroom floor and would like some advice on how to lay this. Chipboard flooring underneath. Will I need to glue the stuff down, and if so what should I use?  Karndean flooring to go on top so how should I prepare the board for that.

All advice gratefully received :)

Edited by JanetE

We had Kardean laid in a previous house (chipboard flooring). The Karedean fitter laid plywood over the floor, screwed at 100mm intervals and skimmed over all the joints with some kind of compound (not sure what it was) to ensure a smooth level surface for the Kardean. 

Have you spoken to the Kardean fitter?

15 hours ago, Stones said:

Have you spoken to the Kardean fitter?

+1

Id go for ply not aquapanel as it's really hard to feather out the joints compared to ply. Last large Amtico floor I saw being laid was over plywood, glued and screwed. A feathering compound was used to smooth the joints and fill the screw heads. 

After countersinking screws into a 6mm AP id be worried about just how much meat was left at each fixing. :/ 

I had Amtico laid in my bathroom and ensuite. I had glued and screwed, at 100mm centres, 10mm marine ply to the 22mm Caberboard and filled and sanded the screw holes and joints. The fitter still went over it with a compound saying it needed to be perfectly flat to do a good job!

• Like 1

Well thanks for your help, we're doing as @Nickfromwales suggested and have returned the aquapanel. Will glue and screw down 6mm ply instead. 

Also, after looking at a few YouTube videos we were going to fit the Karndean ourselves.  It looks a fiddly job but certainly not to hard.  But we've decided to go for the loose lay Karndean instead of the glue down stuff.  It would appear that the important thing about laying this is you get a really tight fit on the floor.  This will be for our bathroom and total area is only about 3.7m² so shouldn't be too difficult. 

Edited by JanetE

6 hours ago, JanetE said:

Well thanks for your help, we're doing as @Nickfromwales suggested and have returned the aquapanel. Will glue and screw down 6mm ply instead. 

Also, after looking at a few YouTube videos we were going to fit the Karndean ourselves.  It looks a fiddly job but certainly not to hard.  But we've decided to go for the loose lay Karndean instead of the glue down stuff.  It would appear that the important thing about laying this is you get a really tight fit on the floor.  This will be for our bathroom and total area is only about 3.7m² so shouldn't be too difficult. 

Could you post the the YouTube videos you've found useful please? I haven't found any that helpful so far. 

This is the link for the loose lay Karndean.  Which emphasises the importance of a tight fit for the tiles, but you can also use a semi sticky glue as he mentions.

@GroseyI'll see if I can find the other ones for the glue down stuff later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just resurrect this post to ask for advice for our bathroom floor?  We plan to tile the bathroom floor - all 3 sq metres worth. (not including underneath the bath)

We currently have 18mm chipboard and we have been advised to use 12mm Aquapanel or 6mm Hardie Backerboard on the floor before we tile.  The chap at the BM also said he'd use 18mm ply but we think that would make the height of the floor too high once tiled.  Which of the three would be best under ceramic tiles? 

We also planned to get 12mm Hardie backerboard for the stud walls. 

Well our tiler said he uses 6mm cement board under tiles. He's very experienced so that's the way I would go.  Our bathroom is a similar size to yours and we've decided to go with the Livyn vinyl interlocking tiles having looked at the samples. Much easier and hassle free of you're laying them yourselves.

15 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

Can I just resurrect this post to ask for advice for our bathroom floor?  We plan to tile the bathroom floor - all 3 sq metres worth. (not including underneath the bath)

We currently have 18mm chipboard and we have been advised to use 12mm Aquapanel or 6mm Hardie Backerboard on the floor before we tile.  The chap at the BM also said he'd use 18mm ply but we think that would make the height of the floor too high once tiled.  Which of the three would be best under ceramic tiles? 

We also planned to get 12mm Hardie backerboard for the stud walls. 

I'd go with 9mm ply over 18mm chipboard, glued and screwed every 100-120mm centres. Ceramic is nowhere near as hard as porcelain. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

yes, I looked at them and they do look easier to do than tiles.  I was a bit worried about damp getting into the joints but they say they are waterproof.  maybe I shall order a couple of samples. thanks Janet.

The main issue that I can see with this Livyn vinyl is that the floor needs to be really flat. Any slight irregularities will show through. They do an underlay for it but it's really thin so will not mask any unevenness.  

1 hour ago, JanetE said:

The main issue that I can see with this Livyn vinyl is that the floor needs to be really flat. Any slight irregularities will show through. They do an underlay for it but it's really thin so will not mask any unevenness.  

You go over the ply with 40 grit paper and a block. You then go over the whole area with a smoothing compound ( a fine self leveller ) and then it'll be like a snooker table.   

• Like 1

@TheMitchells  I've been looking around and Quick Step also do a vinyl laminate floor which is thicker than the Livyn.  Have seen this laid and it looks really nice. They do a range that are suitable for bathrooms but only in wood effect. So you may want to take a look.

• Like 1