Any truth to ASHP problems based on location?

Hi all, 

I am open to a DIY ASHP install on our new build, but have been speaking to local HP installers to try get prices to make sure its worth saving the money on! Basically EVERY installer is pushing hard on GSHP, stating that the lifespan of ASHP will result in needing to replace the machine long before I see any saving by opting for ASHP v GSHP. I am based on Donegal, and house will be a few miles from the Atlantic, and the them of "Salt Air" is repeated time and time again. 

My cynical mind is thinking that its most likely an upselling scenario, where the installer can make a nicer premium on an install which needs ground loop or borehole, but naturally there is doubt.... Is there any evidence out there to support a reduced life span on ASHP less than say 12-15 years due to the site location?

I think aircon units have been installed in less than favourable conditions for donkeys years.  You can buy ASHP's with special coatings applied, I think I saw a daikin one last week - ebay i think coated in something that had some resistance to airborne nasties...

• Thanks 1

I have noticed that some brands of ASHP require special coatings/treatment of the heat exchanger fins in coastal areas but equally other brands say their HXs do not need it, sorry can't remember the specifics. As well as Blygold there is a blue coating IIRC. Have by co-incidence asked CoolEnergy about this today and will post their reply.

Edited by sharpener
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shaun McD said:

...stating that the lifespan of ASHP will result in needing to replace the machine long before I see any saving by opting for ASHP v GSHP.

This doesn't make sense.  I would think you could buy an ASHP, wear it out and replace it with another one before you reached the cost of installing a GSHP.  In the long term a GSHP might be cheaper to run but you will see an immediate saving if you get an ASHP, which could be eroded over time.  

Edited by ReedRichards
  • Thanks 1

If you are a "few miles" from the sea I doubt you will have a problem.

but go and look at peoples satellite dishes.  My own one here, 3 miles inland is probably 20 years old, and still sound.  I can tell you for a fact that houses right by the sea, they would be lucky to last 5 years before they have turned into a wilting mess of rusted metal.

If the satellite dishes around you are fine, then so too will be an ASHP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Grant Aerona 3 heat pumps *used* to recommend an annual application of something to the fins, but the most recent models say:

> Aerona³ heat pumps are now suitable for installation in coastal areas without any special treatment.

https://www.grantuk.com/media/5143/grant-aerona-r32-installer-uk-doc-0136-rev-2-2-november-2022.pdf

I also got a Panasonic A2A heat pump installed up in Shetland - where you're always close to the sea - and the installer was emphatic that, not only was nothing required, but also that no ongoing maintenance was required. Even though...

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

go and look at peoples satellite dishes

...my freesat dish rusted away and was torn off the wall by a gale (the dish itself seemed fine, it was the arm and mountings that got rusty).

Time will tell if it's actually fine or not. Might be worth finding a manufacturer that states their unit is good in coastal areas *and* that you can keep the warranty valid on, just in case.

• Thanks 1

Loads of ASHP down on the harbour side at St. Ives.  They often get a good soaking from a decent south west hoolie.

To be honest, I can't think of one that is showing signs of corrosion.

Here is one that has been there years.

image.png.7812d8b17cf79a773479c4306bf8e9be.png

• Thanks 1

I have read lots of articles about extra coatings that can be specified for ASHP and also for windows. I think for allu windows the marine paint is for when you are within 2 mile of the coast. 
Personally I think the distance is a bit misleading as I’m nearly 2 miles but the sea mist comes in quick up the valley and can hang around for hours.   If I forget to bring something in from gardening it will rust up, even things in the barn get the sea air pitting. 
The ASHP you see nice and clean white outside doesn’t mean it’s all ok inside like @Jenki says protection is the answer and regular checking.

• Thanks 1

Metal cladding needs plastisol with double thickness and the cuts treated.

Other coatings can be OK if exposed to rain. You can see the difference where a wall is protected from rain by an overhang.

Moral: everything near the sea gets salty but it washes off. But it is easy to specify to not be affected.

I bought a b and q satellite dish. 10 miles inland it rusted and fell apart in 2 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1