Internal Soil Pipe Query

4 hours ago, Internet Know How said:

Hi All,

When running soil pipe internally in a new build, is it ok to use the Orange pipe which would normally be sold as an underground? I wasnt sure whether from a regs perspective there was any mandated type here

Thanks

C

I use it all the time on my projects, particularly the fittings, as there are many more variations available in the UG  ( under ground ) range.

15 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I use it all the time on my projects, particularly the fittings, as there are many more variations available in the UG  ( under ground ) range.

E.g. long radius / rest bends. And if you have leftovers you can use them underground, but not the other way round if you use black/grey stuff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Conor said:

E.g. long radius / rest bends. And if you have leftovers you can use them underground, but not the other way round if you use black/grey stuff.

More like for the 15 and 30 degree, plus “adjustable” bends ;) 

Above ground fittings only typically come in 135 degree ( aka ‘45’s ) which is a PITA. 

5 hours ago, Temp said:

Isn't the underground stuff stronger but more extensive?

Not sure if you can solvent weld it?

Done it plenty of times, just needs to be spotlessly clean and I rough it up with Emery cloth too. 
You don’t use glue for this, but instead use the proper ‘gap-filling cement’. Totally different beast. 

DFDE9171-BB68-4F2D-94A6-49A44A1D819A.thumb.png.23b20bff53d28d89369e54ece7875c96.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

still fail them. remember common sense is never common when dealing with building control.

Yet to see it.

Commercial projects that don't use cast ductile often use the terracotta stuff in basements and risers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

still fail them. remember common sense is never common when dealing with building control.

Not had one argue the point with any of my jobs. The second you push back against a BCO they often just say "fine", unless it is a categoric blunder. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not had one argue the point with any of my jobs. The second you push back against a BCO they often just say "fine", unless it is a categoric blunder. 

all depends if its a warranty inspection as well. They very anal on those and getting worse as soo many warranty claims due to poor workmanship on the big sites.

32 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

all depends if its a warranty inspection as well. They very anal on those and getting worse as soo many warranty claims due to poor workmanship on the big sites.

Agreed, but they are looking at very different things these days.

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

no they aren’t - warranty claims are down and NHBC aren’t paying out for a lot of issues that they used to. It’s an insurance policy and they will find every way not to pay. 

There is nothing in BS 13598 that states you cannot use the pipes above ground if adequately protected, nor in BS-EN 1329 or any of the others listed in Part H of the Building regulations as long as the pipe is manufactured within the standards. 

128E8796-3AB1-4DA2-83E2-6C27A5765758.thumb.jpeg.9d0147c7bf5cc728c98edf7c099b7108.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/03/2023 at 10:56, Dave Jones said:

Yes have warranty provider involved. Still same quality so I dont see why it would matter if this is all internal.