Which will annoy me the least visually?

Should we centre the glazed doors into the hall with the French windows? Originally felt the glazed doors should be centred on the wall into the hall, particularly as we have the 2 identical sideboards both sides, where they have to be positioned. They are probably going to be sliding, all glass (part etched) doors rather than opening doors as shown. I find it difficult picturing myself in either the dining room or hall and deciding which will be the least jarring.

810A854B-B9F9-4ADC-A41A-6B6C1FD987CF.jpeg

Just my take, without understanding how it looks from the outside, but I would centre all three on the same line - front door, French doors and glazed doors? Centre on the dining room/table so you can see through the side windows front to back.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Wumpus said:

Just my take, without understanding how it looks from the outside, but I would centre all three on the same line - front door, French doors and glazed doors? Centre on the dining room/table so you can see through the side windows front to back.

I agree. Unless there is something specific to line the French doors up with then move them over … unless they are already fitted of course.

• Like 1

Centre it. Our architect taught us to prioritise the feel and look room by room, rather than the building as a whole from the outside.yoy spend a lot, lot more time living in a space, than looking at it from the outside. We positioned skylights to be central within rooms, rather than uniform across the roof from the outside. Best approach as hardly noticeable from the outside.

• Like 3

We’ve lined our front door with the internal hallway glazed door and then the french doors on the other side of the house so that when you walk through the front door your eye is drawn straight to the view of the valley below with no obstructions. 

I paid for software called RoomSketcher. It’s really easy to use and lets you quickly render 3D views so you can see what it will actually look like. It’s been invaluable. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

Can you split the difference? 
the glazed doors inside look good, it would irk me if they weren’t inline with the back doors. It’s possible this won’t show in the rear elevation but we can’t tell without you showing it to us.

The glazed doors on the outside look tiny are you sure they are all in proportion.

On 09/03/2023 at 13:20, Conor said:

Centre it. Our architect taught us to prioritise the feel and look room by room, rather than the building as a whole from the outside.yoy spend a lot, lot more time living in a space, than looking at it from the outside. We positioned skylights to be central within rooms, rather than uniform across the roof from the outside. Best approach as hardly noticeable from the outside.

Taken that on board,thanks!

19 hours ago, Papillon said:

Can you split the difference? 
the glazed doors inside look good, it would irk me if they weren’t inline with the back doors. It’s possible this won’t show in the rear elevation but we can’t tell without you showing it to us.

The glazed doors on the outside look tiny are you sure they are all in proportion.

Hi Papillon

”The glazed doors on the outside look tiny are you sure they are all in proportion”

Sorry if I’m being dim but not sure what/where you mean. Standard French doors.

Thanks.

On 09/03/2023 at 12:07, Selfbuildsarah said:

I find it difficult picturing myself in either the dining room or hall and deciding which will be the least jarring.

I think it's almost impossible to picture how the space will be, even with 3d rendering. I would suggest that if you can (e.g you're having stud walls), you delay the decision until the space has actually been built then you can properly get a feel for it.

However, something that jars with me looking at the drawing is the positioning of both the french doors and the accessible doorway - there's something very odd about the flow and balance of these together with the french doors. It makes me wonder who has designed the layout and their experience in design as it may affect the balance and function of the rooms as a whole. Just a thought..

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely line all three up so as you walk in the front door you see all the way through the house (so the centre of the front door, centre of the glazed doors and centre of french doors is all lined up).  I would leave the internal glazed doors as they are (because it works practically for you) and shift the french doors and front door slightly so all three line up.  One thing possibly to bear in mind is if you shift the position of the french doors or front door, I would try and ensure any first floor windows directly above them are also shifted so they remain centred directly above the french doors / front door (as long as it remains practical inside). That's my opinion. I'm no architect though.

• Like 1

I don't think they have to be automatically centred, but I do think that it feels that's nothing intentional at the moment. 

It might be a trick of the eye, but the front door doesn't look centred in that nook, slightly too far left. The glazed doors are in the middle of that wall when you're inside the room, but if the hallway had any storage (where the 2571 numbers are) then glazed doors would feel "pushed over" towards the right corner. Then the external French doors just feel like they're made up. Are they in the middle externally? As others have said, 100% focus from the inside, as they feel too far left to me, regardless of the other doors. 

810A854B-B9F9-4ADC-A41A-6B6C1FD987CF.jpeg

Edit: And I would say of the three, get the glazed and french doors correct is first priority. Also, remember that while the front door opens, there'll be a natural tendency for eyeline to be affected by the door. So if you were stood at the door and entering, you'll likely be looking/walking more like 1 o'clock, than perfectly straight ahead. So I would move the external french doors over to the right, then have the front door line up with the glazed doors aperture on the left side (it roughly does now if you look at the doors, maybe a smidge to the right). 

Edited by LaCurandera