Which drill bit type for steel beam?

BotusBuild

HELP!

I need to drill some 16mm holes in a steel I-beam.

HSS drills are not doing it. I have some 8mm bits that are going through no problem, but buggered if I can remember what type they are.

What type do I need? Carbide? Cobalt? Something else?

TIA

Stuart

Edited by BotusBuild

20 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

HELP!

I need to drill some 16mm holes in a steel I-beam.

HSS drills are not doing it. I have some 8mm bits that are going through no problem, but buggered if I can remember what type they are.

What type do I need? Carbide? Cobalt? Something else?

TIA

Stuart

If you are only drilling a few holes then HSS should have been fine, but at Ø16 you should slow the drill down and take your time. Even a little fairy liquid under the drill may help. If you are drilling a lot of holes then you may want to go with a cobalt steel bit or black oxide bit.

• Thanks 1

For 16mm you really need a magnetic drill.  For what it will cost get your local fabricator out to do it for you, they will provide everything. Likelihood of wandering off centre is high with a hand drill, and if it's powerful it is also likely to grab as you break through the other side.

Stagger drill the holes. If you can get an 8mm hole , then go to 10, then 12 , then 14 then 16mm that saves a lot of cutting force but takes a little longer. Good HSS drills should easily drill an RSJ

I use HMT drill bits on steel. Cheaper than a mag drill but more than regular hss bits. I paid about £40 for a bit years ago and it still ploughs through steel beams without much effort. Use a good drill or they even do impact bits. Watch any of their videos to see them in action. I would definitely recommend these. 

https://holemaker-technology.com/collections/metal-drill-bits

• Thanks 1

Look at annular cutters - the go to brand is Rotabroach. I would rent a mag drill if you’ve got more than a couple to do. You need a slow speed, cutting fluid, to clear the chips out regularly (e.g. with compressed air) and to control the drill pressure. The forces are high so be careful as others have said.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...