Ooops, will osb work for this?

Adsibob

I have run out of our engineered oak tongue and groove flooring boards, but have managed to get away with it by leaving a gap in the floor which will be covered by IKEA carcasses. The gap is 3.5m long, 39cm wide and 15mm deep.

i need to fill that gap with something to level the floor, such that when the carcasses go on top they have a level surface to sit on. Only sheet material I can find locally in stock for immediate pickup that is 15mm thick is OSB.

Will OSB take the weight of wardrobes (the big ones, 236cm tall), each weighing about 38kg without clothes or inserted pax shelves and other accessories (and there will be 5 of them). Plus the weight of clothes, shelves, rails, drawers etc, and everything could be quite heavy. Or will it eventually get compressed?

20 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

each weighing about 38kg

You need to work out the area that the feet it sits on and then the total mass.

Convert to MPa (Mega Pascals) then see what the compression strength of OSB is (I am sure a bit of googling will reveal it).

Then wish you had a bit more oak.

Higher quality ply wood may work i.e. marine or birch faced.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Performance-of-OSB-in-Compression_tbl1_319095057

Stress-strainconstitutiverelationofOSBunderaxialloadingAnexperimentalinvestigation.pdf

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Have you got any off cuts to put under the parts of the wardrobes that rest on the floor.?

No. Annoyingly, I somehow managed to mis-measure the quantity of wood required. I think I must have only added 5% instead of 10%. There must have been some off cuts, but the fitter didn’t keep them.

Other option is buying sheets of MDF in 9mm and 6mm and laying one on top of the other. 

15 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I have some oak faced ply left over from my build, not sure what thickness tho!, it only needs to go where the wardrobe “feet” go 🤷‍♂️

I wanted to fill the whole void, to try and mitigate a sound transfer issue we have.   But I’m probably just being neurotic. I’m very good at that.

14 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No I understand that. As OSB is full of resin I can’t imagine it will “crush” much at all.

It is a bit late at night to go out into the shed, but if I remember in the morning, and can find a bit of OSB, I shall pop it in the vice and see what happens.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Marvin said:

check the weight of a sheet of both and compare

How does that tell you the compression strength?

There may be a casual correlation between compression strength and density, but timber is a strange beast as the Young's Modulus, which is what is important here, is orientation dependant.

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

How does that tell you the compression strength?

There may be a casual correlation between compression strength and density, but timber is a strange beast as the Young's Modulus, which is what is important here, is orientation dependant.

In that case I would expect the OSB to have a better compression strength due to the mixed grain and the impurities, like bits of metal, found in it. 

Edited by Marvin
spelling error
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Will OSB take the weight of wardrobes (the big ones, 236cm tall), each weighing about 38kg without clothes or inserted pax shelves and other accessories (and there will be 5 of them). 

Yes.

I have some 22mm OSB that has been outside for 4+(?) years supporting a pile of concrete blocks (set up on 2 by 4 bearers) : the surface is delaminating a bit, thats all.

PS no additional water-repellent covering - just bare OSB.

Edited by ToughButterCup

Does the flooring have underlay, if so the compression of the flooring element will probably greater than the OSB.  

You mention PAX wardrobes ? They have two adjustable feet at the front, there may be some play in those to take up slack.  

We had oak flooring, with underlay,  on top of Egger flooring board, our wardrobe fitter removed oak flooring for the support so it would not "sag" later.

These were not PAX, but on legs like kitchen cabinets and then a plinth section that could be scribed in to final size.

We had some off cuts of 18mm MDF, so are going to use those. It's too thick for the depth of the hole, which is about 15mm, but with the adjustable legs on the pax wardrobes, we should be okay. I expect the MDF will compress a bit (these are 75cm wide by 236cm high wardrobes, with an additional 40cm high unit placed on top, and filled with lots of clothes).