Zinc or steel for standing seam roof

Kelvin

I’ve started getting quotes back and one thing I’ve noticed is that the difference in cost between steel and zinc is only circa £18/m2 For our roof it’s about £2500 of a difference compared to the Greencoat PLX. 

I had ruled zinc out due to cost but the energy crisis has made steel less cost effective than it maybe was a few years ago. 

I’ve read all the pros and cons for the various metal roofing materials. It was easier when I didn’t have a choice as the cost made the decision for me but now I need to make a choice I’m back to the indecision 😂 Any opinions for those that have had to make the decision and what you chose and why? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kelvin said:

I’ve started getting quotes back and one thing I’ve noticed is that the difference in cost between steel and zinc is only circa £18/m2 For our roof it’s about £2500 of a difference compared to the Greencoat PLX. 

I had ruled zinc out due to cost but the energy crisis has made steel less cost effective than it maybe was a few years ago. 

I’ve read all the pros and cons for the various metal roofing materials. It was easier when I didn’t have a choice as the cost made the decision for me but now I need to make a choice I’m back to the indecision 😂 Any opinions for those that have had to make the decision and what you chose and why? 

Difference between the 2 apart from everything that you read before:

1. Zinc needs qualified zinc installers. Ideally these are very skilled craftsmen.

That comes at a price. It s most of the time a great result and a "care free package" as they take care of everything

2 . Metal standing seam can be in most cases installed by advances DIY or general builders.

This is most of the times more hands on (between a little and a lot) which brings down the price but also varies the quality of the finish (I ve see outstanding results and borderline criminal bodged )

• Like 2

I ‘think’ I’ve decided on the zinc. The difference in cost is £2300 between it and the PLX stuff. As fate would have it I happened to be visiting someone today who has a zinc standing seam roof and it’s stunning. It was the quartz colour so weathered natural zinc which has darkened a bit since it was installed with matching guttering. 

I finally got the Catnic Urban quote back. This is the ‘easy you could do it yourself’ stuff if you’re keen. £9000 dearer than the VMZinc quote and £11,000 dearer than the Greencoat PLX stuff. It was £143/mSo much for the good value for money alternative to the dearer materials. I forwarded the quote to the guy at Catnic as he’s been pretty helpful. I already had a material quote from Catnic so can see that the labour and margin cost was £18,000 and it’ll be more than this given they’ll get the material for less than me. Obviously didn’t want the work. 

Anyway confirmed the VMZinc today with the roofer. Flat roof next which us proving equally hard work. 

36 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

I finally got the Catnic Urban quote back. This is the ‘easy you could do it yourself’ stuff if you’re keen. £9000 dearer than the VMZinc quote and £11,000 dearer than the Greencoat PLX stuff. It was £143/mSo much for the good value for money alternative to the dearer materials. I forwarded the quote to the guy at Catnic as he’s been pretty helpful. I already had a material quote from Catnic so can see that the labour and margin cost was £18,000 and it’ll be more than this given they’ll get the material for less than me. Obviously didn’t want the work.

Catnic is really worst of both worlds.

It s like buying a Ferrari with a vauxhall engine - but still paying Ferrari price.

Vmzinc - no faults to pick there . Can't really say anything good about the French - apart from that they have vmzinc , acelor and jouanel.

Edited by Patrick

• 2 months later...
On 13/02/2023 at 08:30, Kelvin said:

£23,000 ex VAT fitted for 143m2 including all rainwater goods. One dormer and 5 rooflights. 

Hi Kelvin

Does this include the soffits, fascia as well. What soffits finish are you going for 

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a quote for 230m2 from Catnic Urban this week - £11,320.00.  vmzinc anthra came back at £7,520 from ALM.  Surprised at the difference - although we had to calculate the cost ourselves based on KG etc, So maybe we got it wrong.,

What should we be budgeting per m2 - supply and install  on straightforward shed roofs ? £150 m2 for zinc ?

I couldn’t get VMZinc Anthra due to the minimum weight order. My final price for supply and install of Greencoat PLX was £146/mincluding Lindab rainwater goods. VMZinc was only marginally dearer. Catnic was stupidly expensive for what it is. 

• Like 1

I agree Zinc looks a wonderful material when you have a sample in front of you or when its 3 feet away from you. Our installer took me around a few jobs he'd done in steel and zinc and asked me to guess what they were before he told me. From the ground you couldn't tell any difference other than the zinc had mildly more oil canning. On one job they were still working on I even went up the scaffold and had to get right in the face of the zinc before I could tell any difference (he requested I kindly didn't mention this in front of his client 🤐). Needless to say I went with PLX in the end and absolutely love it. I also rest a little bit easier as there's many stories of zinc failing as well. Once its on I don't think you'll be disappointed with the PLX. More important to find a reputable installer and get the substructure right IMO.

10 minutes ago, Tosh said:

I agree Zinc looks a wonderful material when you have a sample in front of you or when its 3 feet away from you. Our installer took me around a few jobs he'd done in steel and zinc and asked me to guess what they were before he told me. From the ground you couldn't tell any difference other than the zinc had mildly more oil canning. On one job they were still working on I even went up the scaffold and had to get right in the face of the zinc before I could tell any difference (he requested I kindly didn't mention this in front of his client 🤐). Needless to say I went with PLX in the end and absolutely love it. I also rest a little bit easier as there's many stories of zinc failing as well. Once its on I don't think you'll be disappointed with the PLX. More important to find a reputable installer and get the substructure right IMO.

Same. Zinc is lovely, really tactile if you ever stick your hand out of a rooflight but from ground level there's no discernible difference. Save your dough. 

• Like 1

Looks great. I must say I can't see that is different from well detailed and constructed plastisol coated steel.

It's got my interest so I've looked up the website for PLX. Unfortunately its mostly waffle about Nordic steel and rapeseed oil.....so it seems to be galvanised steel with a ' sustainable outside coating and normal paint on the back.

I'd welcome any info on what is actually so good about it.

To be clear  I am suspicious  not anti.

Zinc is very flexible.  Some very special steel can be too..but rusts.

And plastisol can be a problem if damaged.  

I've done 300,000m2 of cladding, lots if materials but never zinc  simply through cost.