Noise proof my 💩 pipe

Pocster

20 minutes ago, pocster said:

My nice black poo pipe below the beam and block can be quite noisy when a toilets flushed .

What should I use to lag it and reduce the noise ??

72EC2913-5C40-47BF-A43D-BE67AD4CE773.jpeg

We framed ours out, faced that in 11mm OSB, then 12.5mm plasterboard, that silenced it very well. I appreciate you will then have a ceiling below all of that, so it will further deaden the sound. 

12 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

We framed ours out, faced that in 11mm OSB, then 12.5mm plasterboard, that silenced it very well. I appreciate you will then have a ceiling below all of that, so it will further deaden the sound. 

Only a suspended ceiling so not expecting that to dampen sound much . Assume I could wrap the pipe in something tbh 

3 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

@Nickfromwales has previously mentioned using Killmat insulation. here's one such example of a post of his

and was something I was going to look in to for our poo-pipe running across the basement ceiling.

Yeah that sounds promising.

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

I deadened the concealed cistern noise using acoustic tiles.

20170802_183719

20170802_193845

The poo pipe itself is encased in expanding foam then overboarded with 12.5mm Aquapanel and tiles. Seem to recall @Nickfromwalessaying that's not the best idea (expanding foam), for sound deadening. Works for me. Can't hear a thing going down the pipe. 

20170730_101136

49 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah that sounds promising.

whatever solution. you choose can you please update this thread with the results? you're ahead of me on this subject and I'd be very interested in your experiences.

38 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I deadened the concealed cistern noise using acoustic tiles.

20170802_183719

20170802_193845

The poo pipe itself is encased in expanding foam then overboarded with 12.5mm Aquapanel and tiles. Seem to recall @Nickfromwalessaying that's not the best idea (expanding foam), for sound deadening. Works for me. Can't hear a thing going down the pipe. 

20170730_101136

Looks good (and replying for ease of reference). 

1 hour ago, Conor said:

50mm mineral wool works a treat and dead easy and dead cheap.

Yeah ; I wonder that at first . Cheap n easy ! - might try that first . Itches your face like (expletive deleted) when installing though , yes ?

4 minutes ago, pocster said:
9 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

"Right sweetheart, tell me when ..... 'cos I need to put my ear to the pipe: oh and don't forget to tell me how big it was "

All you hear tbh is water flow

Women testing flow, mid stream, is something to worry about.

Our main waste runs down in the corner of the kitchen in boxing. I had to have that apart for various other pipework to share the route so when I put it back together I insulated the boxing with rockwool rwa45 acoustic batts 75mm thick. (I had loads of offcuts so was keen to find places to use them).

It made a big difference, the splashing sound is almost inaudible now.