Self-centering internal pipe-cutter - for plastic

ToughButterCup

• ToughButterCup changed the title to Self-centering internal pipe-cutter - for plastic

MVHRoutlet.thumb.jpg.090eca4d9e9fd5845e71ac08a10def5b.jpg

I need to trim this MVHR Inlet back by about 15mm. 

Currently, I'm (was) thinking that I need(ed) to fit a 'stop' of some sort inside the outlet, and then trim tight-up against that - 

.... unless there's such a thing a self-centring cutting thingamajig .....

meanwhile The BH Collective comes up trumps. 

Thats what I need @MikeGrahamT21, a depth stop attached to a cutter shaft (with a cutting blade on it)  . Self-centring is a distraction .

A problem shared is halved innit.

Yer a star Mr Graham. Thanks.

Thanks @twice round the block good idea, BUT ;  we'd better keep @pocster away from one of those hadn't we.....

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, pocster said:

Just multi tool the thing - easy !

I did exactly that when faced with this problem. Took no more than a minute or two per inlet/outlet.

In my case, the vent completely covered the slightly ragged edge that was left.

@ToughButterCup, is that door going to clear the outlet/inlet once it's installed?

1 hour ago, jack said:

@ToughButterCup, is that door going to clear the outlet/inlet once it's installed?

The end in mind is to 'countersink' the outlet such that the vent assembly sits sufficiently far above the finished ceiling to be  clear of the opening door. To do that, I need to cut inside the outlet. Since I can't simply remove it, trim and replace it, I need to cut up inside' the outlet by about 12 mm. And then re-fit the vent.

Making sure that cut is clean and level was exercising what's left of my brain.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

The end in mind is to 'countersink' the outlet such that the vent assembly sits sufficiently far above the finished ceiling to be  clear of the opening door. To do that, I need to cut inside the outlet. Since I can't simply remove it, trim and replace it, I need to cut up inside' the outlet by about 12 mm. And then re-fit the vent.

Making sure that cut is clean and level was exercising what's left of my brain.

Can’t you just get a nice round plastic disc with a grill and use that as an outlet ? A flat ‘vent’ effectively 

18 hours ago, pocster said:

Can’t you just get a nice round plastic disc with a grill and use that as an outlet ? A flat ‘vent’ effectively 

Yes.

But I need to be able to 'tune' the inlet. So I need a proper inlet fitting.  It's the one nearest the MVHR unit, (2m away) so I suspect I will need to throttle that particular inlet back a good bit.

7 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Yes.

But I need to be able to 'tune' the inlet. So I need a proper inlet fitting.  It's the one nearest the MVHR unit, (2m away) so I suspect I will need to throttle that particular inlet back a good bit.

Fill it with expanding foam . Then once cured poke holes in it to get required flow 👍