Biggest rooflight?

BotusBuild

Looking at all the windows etc which we hope to get fitted in the new house this year. The one item that we're not yet settled on is the large 4.5m x 1.3m (approx) flat rooflight we have a little flexibility in those sizes as the opening has yet to be formed.

The original architect designed for a 3 piece rooflight (3 × 1.5m long panels), but I'd quite like a single piece of glass. 

Has anyone had or seen a rooflight of the full dimensions (or something close to it) fitted? If so, and you know the manufacturer please can you let me know

Thanks

3 hours ago, BotusBuild said:

Looking at all the windows etc which we hope to get fitted in the new house this year. The one item that we're not yet settled on is the large 4.5m x 1.3m (approx) flat rooflight we have a little flexibility in those sizes as the opening has yet to be formed.

The original architect designed for a 3 piece rooflight (3 × 1.5m long panels), but I'd quite like a single piece of glass. 

Has anyone had or seen a rooflight of the full dimensions (or something close to it) fitted? If so, and you know the manufacturer please can you let me know

Thanks

Wow - 4.5m?? Our glazing manufacturer raised their eyebrows at our oversized 2.2x2m panes for our sliding doors. 4.5m sounds very special order. Especially in a roof orientation where gravity is wanting to pull the centre of the glass span in itself. Maybe speak with a commercial glazing supplier?

• Thanks 1

The limit is the size of the oven to toughen the glass. 

It'll be a job for a commercial scale glazier - I'd have thought there's an oven big enough in the UK but phone someone like Pilkington and ask them. If UK facilities are limited there'll be somewhere in Europe that could do it.

As it is likely in the middle of a large roof then a glass lifter may be unsuitable and you'll need a crane (with suction pad attachment).

• Thanks 1

Have a chat to velux commercial. I've only ever used them once but you may get closer to your dream than you think for not much different money to an off the shelf solution. Worth a try 🤔

• Thanks 1

Structurally that will also be a challenge - has it been framed using RSJs as it’s a significant point load on the centre of a roof. 

I would look at what is available in the off the shelf in sectional form and work from there because to be honest you’ll stop looking up at it after about a week ..! 

Also bear in mind that perfectly flat glass pools water and collects bird $hit and other rubbish - you need a 5° or more slope to get it to self clean.

On 06/01/2023 at 16:43, PeterW said:

Structurally that will also be a challenge - has it been framed using RSJs as it’s a significant point load on the centre of a roof. 

One side concrete, one side glulam beam, two sides 125mm wide webjoists