Bath TUB kaput.. help!

zoothorn

Hi chaps, on this corner of BH.

My full bath wouldn't drain, I now suspect related to the freezing temps (IE outside section blocked solid seems likeliest).

Stupidly beforehand, I plunged the plughole assuming it was just debris-blocked. Water just exited via the overflow vent, back into bath, & water then started draining slowly.. but.. flooding my lino floor instead. Urgh. So the pressure I daftly rammed own, has surely failed a drain plumbing part below plughole area. 

So. Bucketed out water, removed side panel. I notice the leak is @ the black plastic collar immediatly below. To confirm this: I undid U-bend section below. This is full of water ( expected? I think so).. but drips from underside have stopped. 

The black collar seems made in 2 parts, as I can rotate the main body (with the overflow grey pipe on) around, leaving the top part fixed to the tub. It seems THIS junction is the leak @ rotation junction. And there's old orange seal stuff here too.

I've looked at tubs, to try establish if they come with this 2-part black collar section, but can't find the answer.

Could you advise on what to do? Thanks for reading, Zoothorn 

ED3E336E-5365-4163-A372-C62DE2D52931.jpeg

786C963F-7454-4507-9F7C-E5B239B9D852.jpeg

It looks like one of these    https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-bath-waste-overflow-16/1236p

1236P_P&$prodImageMedium$

As @PeterW says in the centre of the chrome bit the plug fits into should be a screw, which you undo the separate the two parts.

A common mistake is over tightening.  The "nut" in the bottom part is on a plastic web and over tightening can crack and weaken that.

56 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It looks like one of these    https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-bath-waste-overflow-16/1236p

1236P_P&$prodImageMedium$

As @PeterW says in the centre of the chrome bit the plug fits into should be a screw, which you undo the separate the two parts.

A common mistake is over tightening.  The "nut" in the bottom part is on a plastic web and over tightening can crack and weaken that.

Hi ProDave,

aha right. So essentially is this whole unit in your photo is bought as one, & I just need to buy a new one?

Thanks, zoot 

34 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Is there any seal paste stuff to do, to join the new black underside to the bathtub below?

Yep - Sticks Like Sh!t or any of the other sticky hybrid sealants are best if you can’t get CT1 or BT1. Smear on the outer bath flange, same on the plastic bits and then tighten down the waste into the washer internally. 

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yep - Sticks Like Sh!t or any of the other sticky hybrid sealants are best if you can’t get CT1 or BT1. Smear on the outer bath flange, same on the plastic bits and then tighten down the waste into the washer internally. 

Ok great/ got some SLSht stuff left.

Ok removed the screw/ plug & black main section below bath (including the top black "gasket" section of it, plastic too & which was warped- hence leak I hope). Cleaned up the bath flange area ready.

But I can't see how to undo the overflow plug tho.. no similar screw in the middle. I also need to replace this, but only cosmetically/ mine's chrome paint worn off.

Thanks zoot

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Sometimes the whole outer chrome bit of the overflow unscrews like a big nut threaded onto the plastic bit.

Got it/ jeepers hard work that.

Ok the removed black main bit has ENFLOW enscribed. Can I just assume the new screwfix one will be the correct diameter thread, to join my U-Bend below ? I mean Enflow suggests its mfr was reasonably recent, I think?

Ok I need help on the lower thread diameter. No screwfix type ^ available.

I find a similar one @ Toolstation, but says " 1-1/2" " . I measure across my old thread= 1-7/8". Urgh.

So I wonder if this 1-1/2" figure is relevant to the thread at all. Maybe just the body width.

Anyone know what the dim I'm aiming for is? Surely these u-bend sections have an industry-standard-size thread?? Am I measuring across -this- thread on the u-bend? And across the very outer part?

Thanks, Zoot 

Just buy it, it will fit, in the UK there are really only 2 sizes, bath and basin.  You would be very unlucky of you had a non UK bath waste and trap fitted.

UK waste pipe sizes annoy me, just look at how many different sized "40mm" pipes there are available.  but at least the screw thread fittings for wastes and traps is pretty standard.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Just buy it, it will fit, in the UK there are really only 2 sizes, bath and basin.  You would be very unlucky of you had a non UK bath waste and trap fitted.

Well this is kinda what logic tells me too. 

That is not where the pipe fits, that is where the trap screws on, it is not intended to take a pipe int there.

the outlet of a trap is a compression fitting with a rubber seal with enough flex to accommodate the different sizes of "40mm" pipes

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Quality with quantity that...except for the tiling...

I've no doubt about that. I was shocked at 88 though ( i went to the end to try easier diving in to pg 13!). 

I'll do a condensed peruse of the thread over xmas, interested to see what you've done.

---

Just dived into town with my old placcy bits.. saw one onlne in toolstation/ £6.. & same thread, well seems so. 

Thanks y'all I think it's downhill how. Once my pipe's thawed out that is, assuming a rat hasn't wedged up it.

Much oblidged- Zooter