Anyone got a FLIR camera....

NSS

... that they'd be willing to lend/hire out, please?

Daughter and SiL bought a brand new house from a national house builder that I'm suspicious has little or no insulation in the walls. Currently averaging £17/day on gas for heating alone (mix of wet ufh and rads). Daughter works from home and has two children, one pre school age. She has the thermostats set to 18.5c downstairs and 17.5c upstairs but is struggling to even maintain those numbers. For example, temp in her study/office was just 13c this afternoon.

Thanks in advance 👍🏼

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NSS said:

Daughter and SiL bought a brand new house from a national house builder that I'm suspicious has little or no insulation in the walls. Currently averaging £17/day on gas for heating alone (mix of wet ufh and rads). Daughter works from home and has two children, one pre school age. She has the thermostats set to 18.5c downstairs and 17.5c upstairs but is struggling to even maintain those numbers. For example, temp in her study/office was just 13c this afternoon.

Thanks in advance 👍🏼

Do you know the house construction and builder? Is it a type of fruit?

16 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Do you know the house construction and builder? Is it a type of fruit?

I do, but I won't divulge anything about them at this stage. No point until I have evidence.

I have two Bosch inspection cameras (in one Bosch case), one video / still , and one a thermal version. It takes a bit of getting used to, but you can tune the thermal one to all sorts of targets. I can go ratting with it one night (20 meters)  and fine tune it for window 'leaks' on the first story  the next. Its a brilliant bit of kit .Bosch Professional GTC400C 12V Thermal Imaging Camera 

Just looked it up, I'm a bit taken aback by the replacement cost:.......

I don't know how much it would cost to pack and send you them: I'll dig around tomorrow . Know anyone who's coming up and down the M6?

1 minute ago, ToughButterCup said:

I have two Bosch inspection cameras (in one Bosch case), one video / still , and one a thermal version. It takes a bit of getting used to, but you can tune the thermal one to all sorts of targets. I can go ratting with it one night (20 meters)  and fine tune it for window 'leaks' on the first story  the next. Its a brilliant bit of kit .Bosch Professional GTC400C 12V Thermal Imaging Camera 

Just looked it up, I'm a bit taken aback by the replacement cost:.......

I don't know how much it would cost to pack and send you them: I'll dig around tomorrow . Know anyone who's coming up and down the M6?

Evening TBC, that would be amazing. Don't know anyone who frequents your neck of the woods, but very happy to cover courier cost each way, plus to provide a security deposit and to add a 'drink' for your trouble. 👍🏼

6 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

OK, job number one tomorrow morning. I'll PM you then. 

Thanks TBC, very much appreciated, but hold fire for 24 hours, please. I messaged a a few mates earlier today and one has just replied to say he thinks someone he knows may have one. I'll PM you when I hear back.

18 hours ago, NSS said:

Thanks in advance 👍🏼

Yes, sounds very suspect. 

I am in a 1960's build with 2019 modern rear end extension, retrofitted insulation to original building, less than £5 a day and heating to about 18°.

Makes me sick that people are conned out of their hard earned, assuming they will get a "good" build from these cowboy builders.

• 2 weeks later...

Please post the results of your investigation. We're in a rental new build, 2019 build, EPC 86, airtightness of 3.5 "as tested". The fact I have gone round and sealed up the drafts (incl a tea towel in the Extractor fan it got so bad...) lead me to believe they bullshited the test. 

Rest of the house and windows bleed heat at an appalling rate as well as well, I'm furious on principle... Even if I don't own the place I'm disappointed in it. 

I am a bit late to this post but it may be worth claiming from the warranty provider for the cost of installing insulation and airtightness to meet with building regs.  It is a defect.

I have gas CH and rads in an averagely leaky (4.25 m³ / (h.m²) @ 50 Pa) 190m2 terrace house and during the worst cold snap the gas heating cost was £6.50 per day.  Thermostats are between 16 and 20 depending on day / night and the temperature is easily maintained.

2 work from home + 2 students.

I'm doing around £7-£8 a day in a leaky granite cave in Wales. That cost vs result is disgraceful, but not at all a shock to hear. These mass-building cocks are the worst of the worst as a lot of their victims are first time buyers who know no different.

I'm looking to purchase a FLIR camera ( decent one ) if anyone's got one for sale. PM if so please.

11 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I'm looking to purchase a FLIR camera ( decent one ) if anyone's got one for sale. PM if so please.

I have a chepo Flir One. Not sure how it compares to better models but it's been relatively informative for us. Will post some pics if I get back to the computer today. 

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this story. Turns out that daughter's place is part of some BG/Hive Beta trial and what they're actually being billed bears little or no resemblance to what was being indicated on their display.

Phew!

Many thanks again to @ToughButterCup for the kind offer 👍🏻 

• Haha 1