Oops... didn't plan on this cold weather

Adsibob

So the shed is up and now i need to apply some water protector to stop it rotting when it gets wet. Only trouble is that all the products I've found say it shouldn't be applied in the cold. I'm looking for a clear matt varnish, as I don't want to change the appearance of the wood too much. If i can get UV protection as well as rain protection, that would also be good.

This Ronseal product, for example, states it shouldn't be applied in less than 10C weather.

Similarly, Osmo says ideal application temp is over 10C.

I have a window of a couple ours this afternoon when it will be 4C when I could, if I find the right product at my local screwfix, apply one coats to the most exposed sides of the shed.

After that the temperature is dropping for the next 10 days, and after that I'm away for a week until Christmas.

There isn't much rain forecast at least. Shall I just leave it and wait for the weather to improve? The shed came with one factory applied coat, but the installers told me it's just a basic level of protection and i really need to apply at least two coats myself.

2 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I have a window of a couple ours this afternoon when it will be 4C when I could, if I find the right product at my local screwfix, apply one coats to the most exposed sides of the shed.

Is the shed in the sun?

If it is, it may well go over 10°C, even if the air is colder.

This should not be a problem as the colder, exposed side of the film will still allow evaporation.

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Is the shed in the sun?

If it is, it may well go over 10°C, even if the air is colder.

This should not be a problem as the colder, exposed side of the film will still allow evaporation.

Not really. There is a south facing side and an east facing side which would normally be in the sunfor a bit, except that both of those sides have an overhang/oversail roof which projects 60cm to allow for dry space underneath to store wood. The east facing side might get a bit of sun late morning, but not much as it's shaded by my house mostly. The south facing side is shaded by an old shed that we need to empty and get rid of.

I'm more concerned by the other two sides of the fence that don't get any raincover from the roof or any sun.

It's certainly not going to rot in the short term.  Our cladding was on the house for 9 to 12 months before it was coated, with no issues.  Wait til you have a nice day or spring.

UV strength during the winter is poor - length is day also short.

If it has got basic protection i'd be leaving it untill Mr Sunshine puts it's hat on. I'm sure it will be fine for 4 months. Make sure it has some guttering to take the water away, and avoid the bottom timbers getting splashback from the rain. I have seen sheds, and log cabins rot out within a few years from a lack of guttering. Put a pick up. We love a shed.

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

I would just do it. Make sure the tin of paint / varnish is nice and warm before you go outside to paint it.

This is what I did in the end. I painted the three sides most exposed to damp/rain with a Sika anti rot wood preserver. Just had time to do one coat, but I did a thorough job I think, so together with the coating the shed manufacturer applies in the factory, I'm hoping this will be fine to get me through the winter. Although this is not as water repellent as a varnish, it says it can be used as a base under paint or varnish, so when things warm up I will do some paint or varnish on top - haven't decided on the end finish, so that was another advantage of using this. I'm also going to do the inside of the shed over the christmas holidays, for that temperature won't matter as i can quickly warm up the inside first with a space heater.

Then need to think about cheap shelving and storage solutions. And solar powered lighting... 

13 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Shall I just leave it and wait for the weather to improve

Yes, There isn't much light to start it fading yet.

Also it lets the shed move and shrink, which looks bad after you have stained it.

I agree to use high quality material. The labour is the same, maybe less.

To keep the colour on a shed I suggest using light oak varnish. It goes on  much the same colour as 'preservative treated shed', which isn't such a good name. But that colour will then stay.

I always used Sadolin but Ronseal is prob fine.