Learning to render external walls

OllyIB

Hi all

After being let down by a builder and losing a load of money we’ve finally managed to get a new retaining wall and steps built in our garden.

Unfortunately, it also means we’ve burnt through our savings so I’m looking at rendering the walls myself using a sand and cement render. I’ve watched a lot of tutorial videos but also read some online guides that mention using batons when learning to break the job into sections and get a more even depth of render.

Has anyone used the baton method and, if so, does it help and are there any gotchas?

Olly

Just now, OllyIB said:

Hi all

After being let down by a builder and losing a load of money we’ve finally managed to get a new retaining wall and steps built in our garden.

Unfortunately, it also means we’ve burnt through our savings so I’m looking at rendering the walls myself using a sand and cement render. I’ve watched a lot of tutorial videos but also read some online guides that mention using batons when learning to break the job into sections and get a more even depth of render.

Has anyone used the baton method and, if so, does it help and are there any gotchas?

Olly

Post some photos and you'll get a lot of help / guidance / suggestions.

Good shout, should have though of that!

Photos attached, I’ll also be laying a patio so the walls and steps will be topped to match the patio. Not a small area and lots of angles so should be a steep learning curve!

A7EED6E0-FB44-427E-9A38-BBD76D47CFDF.jpeg

FDA914EC-CAFB-4CC7-9897-65490F4DBE2D.jpeg

4AF19DBB-69BE-4E26-9CBC-AE19CCA05488.jpeg

Hey that looks ok.. seen a lot worse.. looks like you have something to work with here.

Firstly the perpendicular joints at the bottom.. are they open and do you know how the wall is drained at the back?

You'll get loads of folk chipping in on BH.. the more photos you post the more info / suggestions you'll get.

The length of the wall looks ok in terms of retaining the soil as it has some good returns to brace it.

If you want to finish it yourself I would start with the steps. What do you want to put on top? Could be slabs or at the high end a porcelain tile?

Next is the risers to the steps.. how do you want to finish that?

Then the copes at the side of the steps any thoughts?

Is BC involved? Do you need a hand rail as the change in level is more than 600mm?

Once you have nutted that out then turn to the render... that is the last bit. Any copes need a good drip so they need to be at least 40mm wider than the wall on each side.. after any render.

I'm sure @nod will pitch up with the best solution.

Main thing here is to sort the drainage behind the wall so you don't get frost blowing off the render.

Once you have nutted out this then yes you could render it yourself.. but it takes a bit of practice so it may be that when you look at all the other bits it's worth getting someone else in to make it all a top job.. the money lies in finishing the steps and the copes / maybe hand rail.

I think that is where you could learn to do it yourself and save the money.. one step at a time.. where as rendering.. you only get one go!

Edited by Gus Potter

Thank you for such a great response

The guys we got in to do the wall and steps have done a great job (have included photos of how it had been left by the cowboys we had in the first time). It’s hollow block with rebar and filled with concrete so unlikely to go anywhere!

The joints at the bottom are open for drainage, there is a gap at the back that has been backfilled with rubble and gravel for drainage.

Not sure on BC, not an acronym I’ve come across. However, we will need to add a hand rail and something along the top of the wall as it’s over a metre drop and we want to keep the kids and puppy safe.

For the steps the plan was to use porcelain on the tops, doing the same on the wall tops. Ideally I’d like to render the risers but am aware this could be a fiddly job, especially for a beginner, so backup would be to use porcelain on the risers as well.

From what I’ve read it seems it’s best to render before laying the patio, although don’t know if the steps/copes need to be done first or if I can just use a straight edge/feather board to get the render right.

Would love to be able to get someone in to do the job but quotes have been £900-1200 and we just don’t have that at the moment 😢

68769A9E-66ED-4171-BA8C-1D1BD222153F.jpeg

9D9CFA33-264B-4274-8FC4-0B688FEC8EB8.jpeg

Serious suggestion, I would just paint it with a good rough finish masonry paint.

I am not a fan of render on walls like that, probably because up here where we get very cold weather in winter, I see no end of rendered garden walls where the render has blown probably due to water soaking in then freezing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Serious suggestion, I would just paint it with a good rough finish masonry paint.

I am not a fan of render on walls like that, probably because up here where we get very cold weather in winter, I see no end of rendered garden walls where the render has blown probably due to water soaking in then freezing.

We have painted the retaining wall on the level up because we were fed up of looking at concrete blocks but the pointing wasn’t the best so doesn’t look great.  It’s a backup plan though

Second to the painting option above.

Is there a drainage system/gravel/membrane behind the new wall? I see gaps in the bottom row of blocks which should do the job. If not, the wall will be permanently damp and whatever you face it with will degrade over time.

My biggest concern would be what is at the back of the walls. Is there any tanking / damp proof membrane between the soil and the new block? 

If not, then the blocks will soak up the moisture and WILL come through to the front. If you render, then as @ProDave , suggests the render will pop off or at least blister before failing.

If above could be an issuer, you could consider securing fence panels to the walls? or cladding. 

Steps could be paving / tiles.

Edited by Jenki

2 hours ago, Jenki said:

My biggest concern would be what is at the back of the walls. Is there any tanking / damp proof membrane between the soil and the new block? 

If not, then the blocks will soak up the moisture and WILL come through to the front. If you render, then as @ProDave , suggests the render will pop off or at least blister before failing.

If above could be an issuer, you could consider securing fence panels to the walls? or cladding. 

Steps could be paving / tiles.

There is a void behind the main wall that has been filled with rubble and gravel to allow drainage. The smaller wall at the side has next doors patio on the other side with a small amount of soil at one end from a border. There is no membrane but hopefully what has been done will avoid the walls getting too damp.

• Like 1