Flat roof upstand

GreenGables

Hello. 

We’re having GRP flat roofs done and the builder has done a section of upstand without any vertical insulation or plywood so the GRP waterproof membrane is bonded straight to the brickwork. We were supposed to have 15mm high insulation so I’m assuming this will mean my ceiling below will be colder than it should have been. Should I get them to redo the roof? Thanks for any advice. 

11 hours ago, JohnMo said:

If the drawing is to scale the upstand doesn't look to 150mm, more like 50mm.  I would leave it as is.  But insulate around the steel internally. To get rid of the cold bridge.

The upstand is definitely 150mm. I will look into putting internal insulation around the steel. 

22 minutes ago, GreenGables said:

The steel is curved over floor to ceiling fixed windows. 6-7 metres long. 

That's one big lump of cold steel in your room. I have a similar problem with a 6m long ɪ beam over floor to ceiling windows. It was boxed in when I wasn't on site to keep an eye on things and no insulation was added. Subsequently small patches of mold have appeared in the corners.

The biggest problem to overcome will be insulating the underside of the steel. Your window head will come right up to it and not leave space for insulation - and even if it did, how would this look from outside? Only insulating up to the frame would seem to be the only option but the thickness of the frame will dictate how much room, if any, there is for insulation. 50mm of PIR would be the absolute minimum I'd guess. Add 12.5 for fireboard and you're probably down to the glazing level.

9 hours ago, Radian said:

That's one big lump of cold steel in your room. I have a similar problem with a 6m long ɪ beam over floor to ceiling windows. It was boxed in when I wasn't on site to keep an eye on things and no insulation was added. Subsequently small patches of mold have appeared in the corners.

The biggest problem to overcome will be insulating the underside of the steel. Your window head will come right up to it and not leave space for insulation - and even if it did, how would this look from outside? Only insulating up to the frame would seem to be the only option but the thickness of the frame will dictate how much room, if any, there is for insulation. 50mm of PIR would be the absolute minimum I'd guess. Add 12.5 for fireboard and you're probably down to the glazing level.

There really isn't room inside to insulate around the steel. They will have to redo the roof to include insulation. It looks like there isn't even a cavity tray to protect the steel lintel from water ingress so my problems just got bigger. 

10 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Just a quick check, do the window frames provide any support to this beam or is there a column / cantilever somewhere at the center point of the curve, furthest from the cord between its ends, otherwise you will have quite a twisting force at that point?

It does have two steel support beams and it’s all be checked by the SE so that shouldn’t be a problem. 

1 minute ago, GreenGables said:

It does have two steel support beams and it’s all be checked by the SE so that shouldn’t be a problem. 

Great - when you see one piece of poor construction (insulation not fitted) you wonder about all the rest. I won't ask how the support steels are insulated / placed inside the glass wallB|

53 minutes ago, GreenGables said:

There really isn't room inside to insulate around the steel. They will have to redo the roof to include insulation. It looks like there isn't even a cavity tray to protect the steel lintel from water ingress so my problems just got bigger. 

Is the inner leaf all that visible? I'd be thinking hard if the inner brickwork could be swapped for block and the GRP taken all the way up to the copings.

1 hour ago, Radian said:

Is the inner leaf all that visible? I'd be thinking hard if the inner brickwork could be swapped for block and the GRP taken all the way up to the copings.

Actually the inner leaf is blockwork on this section and the GRP has been taken the whole way up over the cavity at the top. They just haven’t added the required insulation inside the blockwork.