Steel lintel with granite heads

Hi guys 

Has anyone had experience of this.

Basically I was assuming we could just place the granite heads and build on them but supplier said they aren't load bearing.

So question is what type of steel lintel would be required and would it  be visable to the underside of the head. 

Also we have a 3m opening which we are told is too large for a granite head so they are quoting for 2 25mm deep granite cladding panels. 

Would I be best just getting concrete lintels and cladding all of them?

Thanks

Damian 

I used a concrete lintel on the door opening and used the corner bits of my cladding to cover the bottom.

For the wrap around window I had to use a steel catnic but again used the corner bits to hide the steel underneath.

If you really want the seamless look of a granite post them use a catnic and have a join in the middle but to make it look a bit more fancy use a keystone granite piece in the middle. 

Or I know a guy who could make you one out of brick that even does writing on it!! @Construction Channel

2 hours ago, DeeJunFan said:

granite heads and build on them but supplier said they aren't load bearing

Der - I wonder how many mountains are held up by granite, must be erzatz granite as this link I think shows you can explode nuclear bombs in normal granite quite safely! Oh and take a look at here, because it says that Concrete crushes at 3T / in2 while Granite is at 10T /in2. All that aside if they say you cannot use it structurally and it fails then you cannot blame them.

I'm not sure of the construction method, but if it is a brick/block build with a cavity, you could put a catnic lintel/ single skin L shaped lintel OVER the granite, meaning the load is not on the granite lintel and say a concrete lintel on the inside skin.

we are in the unfortunate position that the stone work is approaching head height and the issue has just been flagged.

So there is nothing we can do other than what will work with the stone as its being built.

Dont think we could use the stoneer @Declan52 as we are doing dry stone and you have to point the stoneer.

Granite clad all round?  Dont know what way a steel lintel would work.

20 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

every one i have dried out so far has cracked....... I will get one to work but I just havent got there yet :( 

What sort of clay have you been using? I believe people tend to add "grog" or other additives to strengthen clay and reduce the chance of cracking.

Iv been using the clay I dug up from Brick Kiln Field, which I'm fairly confident is where most of the bricks on the farm came from, 

I'm fairly sure I just haven't been working the clay enough, another major issue is I have started a lot of other things since then and the brick isn't holding anything else up so it might be a while before I have another crack at it...

Think you might have to just use a lintel and accept the fact you will see the underneath. @DeeJunFan did you try Wilson's reclamation yard on the A1 to see if they had a granite post to suit 3m. 

If you can get one long enough then you could put a lintel above as mentioned already.