Critique of new new build design, please!

LnP

3 hours ago, ash_scotland88 said:

I like it, typical traditional appearance to the front, more contemporary to the rear.

Sorry - but the elevations really are poor - especially the front porch with the very small extended roof between the first floor window. The window proportions are not right and the composition of the elevations is - in my opinion - not good.

20 minutes ago, ETC said:

My GF proposal. 

FF and elevations to follow.

4EF7B8F5-E010-4EB4-9772-41C6D9B17B0E.png

I generally like that, certainly good for buildability.

But the kitchen / dining / family has no south facing aspect.

I provisionally sketched some ideas when we might have bought a north facing plot like that, and it would basically have been the kitchen / dining / living occupying the left half of the house from tv corner to study where it would have had north, west and south windows, lounge where you have it having east and south windows, and all the utility stuff in the NE corner.

Even better would be to mirror that down the centre, so the east side of the house front to back is the kitchen / dining family getting east, south and north windows, you are more likely to use that in the morning to benefit from the early sun.  and the living room to the front bottom so south and west windows, you are more likely to use that in the evening to benefit from the west sun.  And utility stuff to north west corner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I generally like that, certainly good for buildability.

But the kitchen / dining / family has no south facing aspect.

I provisionally sketched some ideas when we might have bought a north facing plot like that, and it would basically have been the kitchen / dining / living occupying the left half of the house from tv corner to study where it would have had north, west and south windows, lounge where you have it having east and south windows, and all the utility stuff in the NE corner.

Even better would be to mirror that down the centre, so the east side of the house front to back is the kitchen / dining family getting east, south and north windows, you are more likely to use that in the morning to benefit from the early sun.  and the living room to the front bottom so south and west windows, you are more likely to use that in the evening to benefit from the west sun.  And utility stuff to north west corner.

Appreciate what you’re saying. Thinking was to have the k/d/l have morning and evening sun and the study and lounge to have morning midday and evening sun. Plus trying to get rid of steelwork and make it a lot more simple to build.

I’ll play about again and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the comments.

• Like 1

I really appreciate all the great comments and advice. Fantastic.

@Kelvin @ETC Regarding the comments about balconies being a bit of a white elephant, I know what you mean. But for us it's also about having a larger ground floor footprint than first floor, which means a single storey area which we might as well put a balcony on. The views over the canal are quite nice.