Heating Controls - options

mike2016

I have a Hub Controller for my central heating (gas boiler) which is a locally developed system. It has a local LCD control screen and an app. They are moving to a paid subscription at the end of the year and only offer subscribe or return options. I can turn on and off the heating from the LCD but not change the schedule. It's a single zone for al heating/hot water. I assume I'll lose app access in 2023 if I don't pay. 

What are the alternative options (no subscription) if I want to rip this out and retain local control, even if I lose app options on my phone? Any recommendations? Thanks! 

Can't get the damn thing off the wall. I'd break it trying - the power shorted so it rebooted, don't want to lose it yet. There was an ordinary analog clock timer there before. I'll have a chat with them as they haven't responded to any of my emails but if there's a cheap replacement out there let me know. It's an Irish developed device which took advantage of grants but not enough to cover their operating costs after 4 years now they've dried up. Oh well, time to switch or pay.....

5 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

It's an Irish developed device which took advantage of grants but not enough to cover their operating costs after 4 years now they've dried up. Oh well, time to switch or pay.....

I have always been very sceptical about any form of cloud based service whether that is just for storing your pictures and music or controlling your house.  Sooner or later, some or even eventually all of these are going to stop any free service and expect you to pay up.

• Like 2

I wish there was a simple way of disrupting this model. We're nearly there with Openthermopenenergymonitor and Home Assistant but you need to be familiar with setting up a Raspberry Pi or flashing a microcontroller. Much if this stuff is copy/paste and the same requirements keep popping up over and over again. Also, being based on HTTP protocols over the LAN means user interfaces can be entirely virtual, so no fancy enclosures or attractive looking wall gadgets have to be fabricated. Any standard tablet might suffice.

It feels to me like a little bit more effort going into modularity and documentation might just tip the balance. There's nothing lacking in the results that can be obtained - quite the opposite. Local control, complete ownership and a community of experts contributing their time and skills mean the things that can often be custom created that exceed the usefulness of commercial offerings.

40 minutes ago, Radian said:

There's nothing lacking in the results that can be obtained - quite the opposite

Isn't that part of the problem to uptake. Way too much choice just paralyses potential customers.

You only have to look to the different 'flavours' of Linux to see why it is struggling in the marketplace.  All the talk at the moment is about Rust. I do t have a clue what the (expletive deleted) it is, or why I might need it.

Computer aided design packages have the same problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Isn't that part of the problem to uptake. Way too much choice just paralyses potential customers.

Maybe, but I always start out by thinking "what would I get if money was no object" then figure out how to copy it. This narrows things down a bit by looking at the niche end of things. But when it comes to heating controls and energy monitoring, while there are masses of products to choose from, the core principles and facilities are very similar so there's an opportunity to capture the essence of them and make an accessible design product that's easily replicated.

The closest examples I can come up with are Robin Emley's PV Router and the Open Energy Monitor emonPi projects.

10 minutes ago, Radian said:

I always start out by thinking "what would I get if money was no object" then figure out how to copy it.

Have you ever been tempted to copy a Machintoch?

I like things to be really simple and intuitive.

Most people understand a basic thermostat, and most can set a basic timer.

Where it gets too much is if you have to delve into sub menus to do that.

I did suggest that it should be possible to replace a basic wall thermostat with something a bit smarter, but easy to revert back to a wallstat.

It would help immensely if plumbers and electricians would stop putting controls in inaccessible places, with unmarked cables and no manual.

It would also help if all manufacturers would agree to just supply one type of switching i.e. zero volt.  If you need power to something, run a separate power lead.

The first topic I created over at the 'Other Place' many years ago was about Open Source house design.  Within hours there was disagreement about the best formats to use i.e. which software packages.

Pencil and paper and a book of rules/tables was all that was needed, but no, everyone wanted to make it way to complicated. 

It is strange, most people, most of the time, understand and stick to the rules when driving.  As soon as they become pedestrians they set their own rules that they think will benefit them the most.  That is why it takes to long to walk down a busy street, to many random actors (expletive deleted)ing it up.