Flooded basement....need reliable pump recommendations and high water alarm

Thorfun

Just now, Thorfun said:

while I await a response from the SE I thought it'd be interesting to post a photo of our lovely warm (and dry!) floor in the basement taken with my new FLIR ONE Gen 3. 🙂 

image.jpeg.174eb0e51e8ca75d38a93ea1c154963c.jpeg

The Flir app ecosystem is a bit of a mess so In case you don't know, the Flir Tools app can be used to connect to the camera (not in all cases though) and provide multiple spot temperature readings - which can be positioned retrospectively.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Radian said:

The Flir app ecosystem is a bit of a mess so In case you don't know, the Flir Tools app can be used to connect to the camera (not in all cases though) and provide multiple spot temperature readings - which can be positioned retrospectively.

I thought multiple spot temperature readings was just on the Flir ONE Pro camera?

3 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I thought multiple spot temperature readings was just on the Flir ONE Pro camera?

I have the 1st gen Fir one and while the Flir tools app won't connect, I can use the image gallery to view photos I take with the bog standard app and call up additional spot readings at any time.

Screenshot_20221227-170253.thumb.jpg.0668dc0daa0aa11444ff0209bf1eda7b.jpg

2 minutes ago, Radian said:

I have the 1st gen Fir one and while the Flir tools app won't connect, I can use the image gallery to view photos I take with the bog standard app and call up additional spot readings at any time.

Screenshot_20221227-170253.thumb.jpg.0668dc0daa0aa11444ff0209bf1eda7b.jpg

Cool. Will check it out. Thanks. 

Looking at section F, I see a mention of a waterproofing additive  'if required'.  You would expect the SE to be the one to 'require' it.

Do you know if it was included?

Otherwise, I don't see any membrane between the concrete and the stone, so there is nothing to stop the concrete being constantly wet.

There are ways of designing concrete to be watertight but I don't think this is it, and this isn't the time to discuss reservoir design.

Water won't gush through but it might lt be a bit damp.

12 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Looking at section F, I see a mention of a waterproofing additive  'if required'.  You would expect the SE to be the one to 'require' it.

Do you know if it was included?

Otherwise, I don't see any membrane between the concrete and the stone, so there is nothing to stop the concrete being constantly wet.

There are ways of designing concrete to be watertight but I don't think this is it, and this isn't the time to discuss reservoir design.

Water won't gush through but it might lt be a bit damp.

this is where it gets a little confusing as when the SE was designing the basement we were going for an internal type waterproofing membrane and waterproof concrete. but after I chose the groundworker to do the work their chosen basement contractor used an external tanking system and waterproof concrete so the wording on the SE drawings is slightly wrong. but there is definitely a membrane there (it's faded from red to white over time) but that will eventually be covered in 100mm PIR and then rendered anyway to add an extra layer of protection to it all. 

as a picture speaks a thousand words here's one that should explain it. 🙂

image.png.cea253e7b90002309838ac485d3bc355.png

areas surrounded by grey are waterproof concrete (with the waterproof additive) and the areas surrounded in red have the external tanking membrane.

products used were FIS  Maxiprufe Plus (http://www. fisproducts .co.uk/product/maxiprufe-plus-2/) and also FIS  waterproof concrete additive

here's a better photo showing the membrane and lack of such in the courtyard.

image.jpeg.f1b2220027f74cb1ea01167839adbc69.jpeg

there's loads more info about our basement build in our blog showing the entire journey! 

should you wish some light reading and watching Timelapse footage

and here's the entry after the basement was completed.