Energy saving

To me this is very sensible. I took this picture in a Spanish supermarket. It confirms that it is the law (royal decree) to use sensible heating and cooling. No heating allowed above 19C and no cooling below 27C. Everyone seems happy with it all year, although it helps when the natural temperature indoors is 23C in November, aided by chiller waste heat of course.

In fact I suspect that the heating/ cooling is seldom used as I have never seen the temperature being 19 or 27.

If I was in charge in UK I would apply this immediately and permanently. 19C is just fine.

A good idea to make it public too.20221117_172612_resized.thumb.jpg.adbd5980a9d9c59e93ea63c40dc036e7.jpg

20221117_172612.thumb.jpg.39644a491fd9907425f2ae87013e217c.jpg

• Like 1

I totally agree with this. I apply a similar approach in my house. I don't need a constant temperature. I can live between 18c and heat the house to 23c with my wood stove.

People are too soft, needing a consistent temperature all the time or the need to have warm feeling on their feet when they come out of the shower. 

Slippers and a jumper are fine even in a modern self build.

I dream of 18 degrees! Lots of pullovers, and fingerless gloves. Definitely +1 to no silly temps, but at the other end of the scale for less mobile people there is the matter of safety, and potentially hypothermia if they cannot move much. Another argument for proper, sensible schemes of thermal improvement carried out by properly-trained contractors.

1 hour ago, Redbeard said:

but at the other end of the scale for less mobile people there is the matter of safety, and potentially hypothermia if they cannot move much

40 minutes ago, Radian said:

Agreed. Caring for a 92 year old and 22oC is needed otherwise necessary clothing becomes too restrictive and creates mobility issues.

Same problem with my Mother.  Set the wireless thermostat to 23°C, which seems fine.  Then find that the thermostat has been left in the kitchen.

I have suggested that if she feels cold, get up and walk about for a couple of minutes, which luckily she can do now.

Got home tonight, house back up to 20°C, it is lovely again.  Condensation on the rear door seems to be drying out.  Never seen it there before, but then it was leaking air around the frame until I sorted it out earlier in the year.  Room is draught free and much quieter now.

Temperature is a funny thing.  Our room stats are at 20 and that is what the rooms are.  But 20, when it is grey, raining and blowing a hoolie outside feels cold, so on goes the stove.

A big problem with most houses is no room by room control just a thermal radiator valve if you are lucky, so precise room control is poor and often some rooms are over heated.

• Like 1

Lot depends on what you are doing. We have living room at 18C in the daytime and that seems OK, but watching TV at 20C in the evening can sometimes feel cold. 

I discovered out MVHR was consuming more than I expected and now have it on a timer so it's on at night and shower times. Might revert to 24/7 it electricity prices come down.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

A big problem with most houses is no room by room control just a thermal radiator valve if you are lucky, so precise room control is poor and often some rooms are over heated.

Not mine! But then I did spend a fortune on Tado thermostats!

We're living with a fresh 15 degree daytime temperature. It's jumpers and blankets till the windows get replaced and the cavity walls insulated. Running our ancient massive storage heaters even on eco7 is stupidly expensive. 

@TempAlso curious about the running costs of MHRV as that's on the 'too research' list. 

14 hours ago, ProDave said:

precise room control is poor and often some rooms are over heated.

In an open plan office the various staff complain about it being cold while others open windows. The solutions are either a clever aircon system or dummy thermostats around the wall...especially if they make a nice click at 22.

44 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

In an open plan office the various staff complain about it being cold while others open windows. The solutions are either a clever aircon system or dummy thermostats around the wall...especially if they make a nice click at 22.

If you take away too much choice in an office, you get disgruntled staff.

I worked in an office with individual heating/AC settings, and lighting settings, it was rubbish.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2022 at 23:32, Adsibob said:

How much was it costing you to run it 24/7 ?

Sorry for the delay in replying.

On 24/7 ours consumes around 2.5-3kWh a day or 105-125W. That's about 1000 kWh a year or £350 pa at the capped rate.

Edited by Temp