Geo membranes- worth it?

cwr

Hi folks

I was going to start spreading out a load of 63mm crusher run out the front of the house this aft, but wondering should I put a layer of membrane down first, eg something like a G90 woven geotextile membrane. We'll eventually put stone down on top of it.

The ground had the top soil layer removed, and 100mm hardcore put down at the start of the build 2 years ago, buts it's muddy enough now. So concerned about mud making its way up through any new material put down.

It's mostly mud impregnated hardcore that's there at the mo, which is probably better than whatever lies below it? Plan is to put the textile on it, and then apply a layer of fresh clean crusher run, then the final stone.

Another concern after seeing the amount of leaves on the ground in the past week, is whether after a few years these will end up increasing the organic content of the stones anyway.

2 minutes ago, cwr said:

Another concern after seeing the amount of leaves on the ground in the past week, is whether after a few years these will end up increasing the organic content of the stones anyway.

That is one of the reasons we chose tarmac not stones.

2 hours ago, Happy Valley said:

My builders merchant is trying to flog me Multitrack 700 as an alternative to the Terram 1000 - it's £58 cheaper for a 100m roll.

Not sure if it's a like for like product.

Multitrack has a puncture resistance of 1000N, Terram is somewhere around 14-1500N I think (ironic given it is Terram ‘1000’) but both are non woven geotex products so either would work. 

Thanks for the replies.

I tried to order off easymerchant, order went in ok then they came back ltr and tried to charge me £84 for delivery!! Taking the p, esp as they advertise free delivery... FFS. Back to Google.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, cwr said:

Thanks for the replies.

I tried to order off easymerchant, order went in ok then they came back ltr and tried to charge me £84 for delivery!! Taking the p, esp as they advertise free delivery... FFS. Back to Google.

I just did a basket for 4.5m x 100m and the delivery was free for that.

45 minutes ago, Happy Valley said:

delivery was free for that.

May depend on location. Many online companies quote free anywhere, then only later say that this is GB mainland excluding Highland and half of Aberdeenshire. Appalling ignorance of the geography of the country,  so I will always then find someone else.