Which treatment plant?

crispy_wafer

Following on from my previous adventures of connecting the new build to the lash up that was the septic tanks of the old bungalow.  The recent rain and increased ground water has shown a few flaws in the whole system.  I'm going to have to bite the bullet, open my wallet and put in a treatment plant.

Bearing in mind this was something I didn't really want to get involved with, I'm starting with a blank sheet and not sure where to start.

All I know is - 4 bed property, 3 occupants, want it to be pumped due to ground levels and seasonal water table - we are on relatively slow draining ground, Approx 40m to a watercourse.  Invert about 600mm give or take.  It just needs to work, and not cost too much upfront.  I will be doing the digging and install.

So, with 5 minutes of looking I'd been drawn to the Rewatec/conder ASP units and, I've been in touch with the local civils supplies company and they can do me a pumped Bioficient 1 Pumped & PPFDS & HLA.  I'm open to suggestions for other units too if you like.

Please can you help me with some feature points and things I should look at to make comparisons, and suggestions if you have any?

Well as I have said before I could not be more pleased than I am with my vortex, one of the lowest pollution figures regarding water output nasties, the only thing I changed was the pump unit, I removed it from the lid (which acted like a drum) and buried it next to the unit and now virtually silent. 
https://www.wte-ltd.co.uk/vortex-sewage-treatment-plant.html

p.s. I later covered the lid in astroturf so hardly visible as well.

Edited by joe90
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Well as I have said before I could not be more pleased than I am with my vortex, one of the lowest pollution figures regarding water output nasties, the only thing I changed was the pump unit, I removed it from the lid (which acted like a drum) and buried it next to the unit and now virtually silent. 
https://www.wte-ltd.co.uk/vortex-sewage-treatment-plant.html

p.s. I later covered the lid in astroturf so hardly visible as well.

So a remote blower/pump unit of sorts, could be a useful feature, I think the bioficient unit has this too, looking at the bumpf.

5 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

So a remote blower/pump unit of sorts

Yes but the pipes were long enough to allow me to put it next to the unit, I added a couple of vent pipes to help with air circulation to stop overheating.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

What do you mean by pumped. 

Pumped to watercourse,  so these units do 32 or 50mm mdpe discharge.

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

have you easy digging to the depth required or will you hit bedrock? If that's a consideration look at one of the shallower units. We're very pleased with out Solido Smart as it went in easily and is very quiet.

No problems with bedrock, it'll be an easy dig for a 2.5t machine.  I looked at the solido and it looks a good bit of kit, but couldn't work out/justify why I'd want to spend an extra £600 other than it says smart and this man likes control panels and gadgets 🤣

Edited by crispy_wafer

Graf one2clean for me. installed but not used yet. we have sandstone about 2.5m down so I didn't want to go for one of the conical ones and the one2clean gets good reviews and is slightly shallower dig. external pump unit for blowing bubbles in to the brown stuff as well.

there's lots of threads on here about this subject. what I found from my research was that everyone seems to recommend blower units rather than disc based units and everyone seems to have different brands and everyone is happy with them.  so, I would suggest that the pretty much all do the same thing. just find one that ticks your costs/requirements/environmental discharge and then see if anyone on here has one installed and ask what they think of it if that's not already been asked!

• Thanks 1

I am a happy user of a standard Conder ASP6 the gravity outlet version.  I know they do a pumped outlet version as we might have used it until they allowed us to discharge to the burn.

I think the consensus of this forum is any of the air blower types of treatment plant are good and we have satisfied users or most makes on here.  To some extent the decision will be swayed by availability and delivery options, particularly if you are in a remote location.  Mine was bought through Travis Perkins which had the advantage of delivery on their wagon with a hiab to unload it.

Whatever you fit, as you have high water table issues, make sure you concrete the treatment plant into the ground.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Is a reed bed a possibility?

I enquired about a Reed bed and was told by a supplier they no longer did Reed beds after a customer died from a cut from the reeds and contracted a deadly disease.

6 person is about £1,700 + vat, from marsh, delivered. Fibreglass and very tidy.

Discuss any tech stuff with Marsh but orders are through any bm.

4 person obv should be less.

Yes, air bubbles preferred to anything mechanical.

There is an extra shallow one but costs more.

• Thanks 1