Mind the wet spot

Moonshine

My build is water tight and its great to have it dry inside, however it is not rendered.

There is a location where a scupper drain is dripping (no hopper fitted yet)with very heavy rain causing the outside block work to get soaking, and on a couple of occasions a wet spot has appeared on the internal leaf of the block on the cavity wall (150mm fully filled cavity)

This issue will highly likely go away when its rendered and the hopper is fitted but i want to make sure that whatever is causing this sorted just in case its a weakness somewhere.

My best guess is it is a wall tie that either has a large build up of mortar on it, or is angled with the drop into the inner leaf.

my thoughts are to put a core drill through the inner leaf to investigate, knock off the snot.

Question is, is this likely to be the issue, and if so where to core drill, is the tie likely at the base of the wet patch?

20221013_073544_resize_77.jpg

20221016_200400_resize_88.jpg

Edited by Moonshine

3 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Cant help, but I've bought a cheap endoscope from Amazon for this type of situation and its quite fun to use. 

i have got one of those for work, but i think it will be limited use as its a fully filled cavity and won't be able to move it round in there very much

8 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Cant help, but I've bought a cheap endoscope from Amazon for this type of situation and its quite fun to use. 

Going to myself in trouble for posting this up, but it is close to Halloween.

I suspect between @pocsterand @Onoff, a small device could be printed.

But at 1200 quid to cure the leak, I am tempted to rent one out in my back room 

I think the tie may be at the bottom of the damp patch.  You could run a grinder along the joint bed and see if you can locate the wall tie.

It could be quicker to take the block out rather than core drill.  Fingers crossed the beads are well bonded!

Once it is rendered it will be dry.

11 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have a look on outside

Also while it is raining. An issue in the cavity is indeed likely to be bringing the water inside, but if the source is cured then that should be the end of it.

Otherwise....cut out the inner block, sort, and build back.

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

I think the tie may be at the bottom of the damp patch.  You could run a grinder along the joint bed and see if you can locate the wall tie.

It could be quicker to take the block out rather than core drill.  Fingers crossed the beads are well bonded!

Once it is rendered it will be dry.

I think that you are right that the tie is likely to be at the bottom of the wet patch, and that is a good idea to use a grinder to find it.