What height to begin stair rail / balustrade

revelation

44 minutes ago, revelation said:

So the max it can be is starting at the second step? 

Newel posts are usually fitted against the riser of the bottom step so the handrail finished against the newel post pretty much vertically above the first step, but stairs sometimes (more often in larger wider cases) the first step fans out and is unprotected.  But some BCO’s can be arsey so better to check beforehand. D3EAB15D-B2E6-4015-ADD7-C929D929E569.thumb.jpeg.0e6815bc84804a2028ccdb29a65a5bb0.jpeg

We did it same as Joe, newel post on the second bottom step. The underside of the handrail is a continuous 900mm above the imaginary string line across the treads. And remember, max of 100mm space between ballusters / spindles. 

Edited by Conor

2 hours ago, Conor said:

And remember, max of 100mm space between ballusters / spindles. 

Hate to be pedantic but balusters need to be spaced so that a 100mm sphere CANNOT pass between them. Slight difference but less than 100mm.

I’d normally suggest 100mm maximum centres. Works for most infill balusters. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, revelation said:

I was looking to put in our balustrade/handrail but didn't want to start the first step.  Are there any regulations in terms of what height or what step it needs to begin at?

Speak to Building Control. They will give you all the information you need.

On 18/10/2022 at 08:16, DevilDamo said:

Guarding is usually required when there is a difference of levels of at least 600mm so that would naturally be 3 steps.

That would be ideal, but it would be nice to have that in black and white, do you know where I could find the reference for that?

• 1 month later...