Another French Renovation

bobbert

Hi all,

Just found this forum and had to join.

Got a small renovation project in Normandy we picked up during lockdown. A 150 year old cottage we want to raise the roof on. Attached a picture below.

My background , many years in excavators and groundworks, changed direction a few years back and studies engineering so more software based now.

Really keen to pick up peoples knowledge and experience on roofing and loft conversions as I've not too much experience that far above ground. 

IMG-20220602-WA0003.jpeg

Hi and welcome to THE forum fir self builders. Looking forward to hearing about your project, looks lovely (jealous emoji). Just remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, stupid is not asking. We have all been there and done that so bring on the questions and don’t forget to post pics of your progress 👍

• Thanks 1

Think one of my mate's places is in Normandy, his first French place. It was basically a stone build animal shed with a high front and very low back wall he raised. His other place is further south...begins with C...

I'm seeing him this week for a beer hopefully as he's over he on family business. 

Welcome anyway.

• Like 1

Hi all thanks for the responses.

So the roof does look good yes but in short it's not in great condition(not terrible either). A lot of the tiles are broken, brittle or have holes in them. So of the wood work underneath is beyond repair from water damage. Lead flashing has worn through in many places too. The houses last update was in 1989. The roof is older though. All that said, the leaks were managed so damage is localised. Roof could be repaired but my wife and I are looking to gut and redesign it into our family home so repairs are only to get us to that point. We do plan to stay in keeping with the area.

The tiles are not asbestos. We've had an asbestos survey done so all clear there. We do have asbestos on another building but that will be another story in this saga. The plan is to completly remove the roof, add 1m to the walls and install 3 dormer windows on the front with us south facing. This is so we can put in 2.5 bedrooms upstairs. Roof will either be raised in its entirety or opt for a lower truss angle(hence higher walls). It will be an new roof going back on in both cases.  I'll perhaps be making a few posts with pictures soon enough. Looking for some opinions on some of the more granular aspects.

Cheers all.

• Thanks 1

As France has very different rules on planning and building control are you aware of what is required to make those alterations. A friend who moved to France found that as long as the local Mayor was happy it was allowed.

Yeah,it's surprisingly different. We have made contact with a relatively local building project manager who is giving us guidance on the ins and outs of planning and formalities. We're modelling the house on a close neighbour from the outside at least. This will hopefully head off any problems with it not fitting with local designs.

In terms of regs, I'm aware that there is a broad spectrum of standards. If we get a registered builder in we'll get a 10 year state underwritten guarantee, if we do it ourselves then that could have its own consequences. Our plan is to do as much are we can but anything structural, electric or plumbing to use a registered tradie. 

We're planning a visit to the mayor on our next trip to the house to give him a run down of what our plans are for the house and property. My hope is there will be some positives from our desire to bring this vacant house back to life and also get the land back into some production. 

8 minutes ago, bobbert said:

if we do it ourselves then that could have its own consequences.

Namely the VAT, iF a builder does it no VAT, if you do it 25% VAT (note, this is what I remember but check). I know one family who took a lot of their UK purchased stuff over to fit in their France property.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

That sounds like a good idea.  I do wonder how many claims are successful and what hoops have to be jumped though to make a claim.

Finger crossed we never have to find out. From what I understand though, we would be covered even if the company went into administration.