Lead soaker(s) - can it be long lengths of lead? Or must it be short sections?

Oxbow16

Hi

I'm going to be having some roof work done.  The lead needs replacing and doing properly where a lower roof meets a wall (it slopes down the side of the wall...  ASIDE - what's it called where a roof meets a wall like this?).  

The chap doing it has proposed to put in long overlapping lengths of lead beneath all the slates (I think around 1.5m lengths each).  And then lengths of around 1m flashing on top of the slates.  

All the info and videos I can find say to use small soakers that are the same length as the slates, and sit on top one slate/covered by the next.  

I'm worried that the way the chap has proposed to do it is wrong, as I can't find anything that recommends doing it like that.  In case it changs anything, he is planning to put a bell bead on the wall above the lead.  

Sorry if I've not explained that very well...  It's be a long day!  

Many thanks

I’d get someone else 

You are correct Short lengths that finish just short of where each slate is nailed Allowing the next slate to cover and so on

Leaving the soakers stepped like the slates 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That certainly concurs with all I've read and watched.  Thanks for confirming.  

So that I'm clear though, and just to help me understand it, what would be the problem with having long lengths of lead running under the slates, to act as soakers?  

Thanks for the super quick reply

Have a look at this guide to good lead work. Easy reading and should help you out. Tells you all about max lengths of lead and the code (thickness) of lead to use and where etc. It' one of my go to guides.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=0CAMQw7AJahcKEwjA-KCI3NH6AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.calderlead.co.uk%2Fuploads%2Fdocumentsearch%2Fid4%2FCalder-GTGLW-210213.pdf&psig=AOvVaw07OgmkkR7N57A4sfbm148e&ust=1665355815925499

9 hours ago, Oxbow16 said:

So that I'm clear though, and just to help me understand it, what would be the problem with having long lengths of lead running under the slates, to act as soakers?  

There is nothing technically wrong with it, that's how it's done most of the time in Scotland.

Saying that soakers and stepped flashing looks much better.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Oxbow16 said:

The worrying thing would be 

He isn’t saving time or money doing this 

He just doesn’t understand what the soakers are there for 

• Thanks 1

To be honest, I think he is planning to try to save time and money. 

RE the soakers, from what you guys have said, and having watched more videos - taking slates off, cutting individual soakers, and putting them in piece by piece and slate by slate, will be a lot slower and more work than not removing any slates, sliding in a couple of long lengths of lead beneath them, and calling it a day at that.  

I should have added that the wall is an old stone wall.  Not only is it not flat faced, but it doesn't run a straight line either Iit curves a bit).  So stepped flashing is not an option. 

Thanks again for the help. 

Edited by Oxbow16

Thanks, but just to be clear, for the soakers in his proposed install it wouldn't be showing.  It's more than he would b putting in long lengths of lead underneath all the slates.  

True that there would be flashing visible, but he's got 150mm for that.  So with 100mm or so up the wall, there'd barely be any on the slates. 

Not to mention that due to the lay of the land that part of the roof isn't all too visible anyhow.

Ta

• Like 1

I did read about hidden gutters but wasn't sure how appropriate it would be given the way the wall bends.  It bulges out as you get toward the apex.  Would that not be a problem and make a hidden gutter difficult?  

The other issue is that there are sarking boards and I'm not sure how close they get to the wall.  I'd also need to check how much depth there is until your on top of the purlins, although I suspect there would be enough...

3 hours ago, makie said:

There is nothing technically wrong with it, that's how it's done most of the time in Scotland.

@makie - do you mind if I just clarify, seeing as you responded before I posted photos...   Now that you can see the job, do you think it would still be ok for the soakers to tuck long lengths of lead in beneath those slates?  Most likely without removing or lifting any of them?  

And just to add, for the soakers he'll be re-using the lead you can see in the photos.

Many thanks

Soakers are in effect another form of hidden gutter.  Their job is to catch any water that is not caught by the lead flashing on top of the tiles, most likely blown under by wind.  So they still need to form a proper gutter so water flows down and out at the bottom. So there will need to be some form of upstand or turn up in the lead to prevent any such water just running off the side.

So I think it highly unlikely you will get the detail right, just by shoving some lengths of lead under the tiles in situ without removing any.

• Thanks 1

As the above replies, if your roofer thinks he's going to slide 1.5m of lead under the slates without removing them then he's not a roofer but a magician. 

The slates will need to be removed. I'm assuming this is remedial work? Then this will possibly be due to leaks? Then surely you want to ensure the wood (joists and battens ) are  sound before spending money covering them up?

If it's leaked inside, then you can be sure it was leaking for a long time before it came inside.

As it's stone I'd opt for individual soakers as the upstands  can be dressed individually to the stonework, same for the stepped flashing. 

That said a grp hidden gutter would work well with some stone dressing.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Oxbow16 said:

@makie - do you mind if I just clarify, seeing as you responded before I posted photos...   Now that you can see the job, do you think it would still be ok for the soakers to tuck long lengths of lead in beneath those slates?  Most likely without removing or lifting any of them?  

And just to add, for the soakers he'll be re-using the lead you can see in the photos.

Many thanks

Long lengths no. My comment was in reference to a Watergate slated in (see picture), not long soakers. It would be near impossible to do what your roofer is proposing and I doubt it would work.

No matter what happens that lead can't be used for soakers. Soakers should be code 3 with those slates.

image57.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the additional comments and replies.  Really helpful stuff.  Definitely won't get him to do it then.

Might have some more questions in the future about exactly how to do it, but will make a new thread should that need arise.  

Thanks again everyone

PS - What a lovely looking roof/wall

Edited by Oxbow16
  • Like 1

Another question if I may please....  

Do you think the removed lead in the photos would be suitable for the flashing?  It's 240mm and Code 4 (I think), but a bit chewed up on one side from where I removed it from the cement fillet.  It's also a but curved and bent.  I can get a better photo of the lead if that would help assess?  My thinking was to have the soakers done in new Code 3 - as suggested - and re-use this if possible.  But if not I'll get new for the flashing too and stop being so tight ;)