Remote Guest network

Hi all. Some advice please.

For my 2 guest cabins I want to supply internet access. I've currently run a Cat 6 external cable from my static 40m to an amenity block. 

Then a cat 6 cable from the amenity to see each cabin 

Eventually the feed to the amenity will be from the house about 70M away.

Will the following work?

connect the cable in static to plusnet router.

In amenity block connect cable from static to WAN Port on a tp link router (this is a 4g router I'm using at the moment)

Then connect the cabins to the lan ports. I think I can then use the tp link router to create the guest network.? Any issues with this?

What should I use in each cabin to give a network port and WiFi?

Thanks in advance.

My understanding is you connect the cable from the static into one of the LAN ports and it just acts as a network switch.  If you are not using the 4G router you will need to go into it's settings and turn off most of it's functions e.g DHCP etc.

Might be simpler just to buy a cheap 8 port network switch for the amenity block.

You will have some long cable lengths (about 100 metres is the limit) so buy GOOD quality CAT6 cable make sure it is COPPER not copper plated aluminium.

I doubt you want a wired network port, just give them wifi, the access point can be in a locked cupboard without guest access, and just give them the password, or considering how remote you are (there won't be any passers by within range) make the wifi for the cabins open access without a password?  (I would not do that in a built up area)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I doubt you want a wired network port, just give them wifi, the access point can be in a locked cupboard without guest access, and just give them the password, or considering how remote you are (there won't be any passers by within range) make the wifi for the cabins open access without a password?  (I would not do that in a built up area)

I would add a password even if it's simple like 'cabinguest2022'. it might make your guests feel more secure if the wifi is password protected

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jenki said:

Has anybody got any links to some cost effective Wireless access points? They seem very expensive.

When I set up wifi in the static caravan, with the phone connection in the house, I used an old BT Home hub 3 router which I had spare.  Turn off all the DHCP functions etc and it just connected to the ethernet.  If you don't have one, you can possibly get one on freecycle or not a lot on ebay.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2022 at 10:15, Jenki said:

connect the cable in static to plusnet router.

In amenity block connect cable from static to WAN Port on a tp link router (this is a 4g router I'm using at the moment)

Then connect the cabins to the lan ports. I think I can then use the tp link router to create the guest network.? Any issues with this?

Is the amenity block just a loo or do you want WiFi in or near there as well? If just a loo I would buy a cheap hub to put in there. Approx £10.

If you want WiFI in the amenity block then many WiFi access points have a few wired connections as well. So you can use a WiFi AP as a hub. 

Having the same kit everywhere means you can set up one, save the configuration file and upload it into the others. All the menus are the same etc.

Create the guest network at the house/static van end so you avoid having to go to the amenity block to reset it?

Edited by Temp

How much is too dear for your access point? You can buy them cheap enough but cheap is relative. 

It’s also worth thinking about security and privacy. You as the subscriber are on the hook for any illegal activity your internet connection is used for. There have been cases where the subscriber has been fined. Therefore, I would definitely set a password as a minimum. But you might want to consider some disclaimers your guests need to sign etc. there are bound to be templates you can use. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Is the amenity block just a loo or do you want WiFi in or near there as well? If just a loo I would buy a cheap hub to put in there. Approx £10.

If you want WiFI in the amenity block then many WiFi access points have a few wired connections as well. So you can use a WiFi AP as a hub. 

Having the same kit everywhere means you can set up one, save the configuration file and upload it into the others. All the menus are the same etc.

Create the guest network at the house/static van end so you avoid having to go to the amenity block to reset it?

At the moment the amenity is my tool store and washer dryer room.😂. but no WIFI is not required in there.

so if I opt for a small 5 port switch

then put one of these Routers into each cabin, with a bit of setup (???) I should be ok?

all in for £30 ish

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

How much is too dear for your access point? You can buy them cheap enough but cheap is relative. 

cheapest wifi AP I've seen is around £45?

I wouldn’t do connections to the cabins - too much hassle. 

Just install a pair of these at either side of the amenity block and job done. 

https://www.ebuyer.com/828322-tp-link-eap225-outdoor-ac1200-wireless-mu-mimo-gigabit-outdoor-access-point-eap225-outdoor

Use the Omada controller and you’ve got the ability to do multiple guest networks / SSIDs etc. Range outside is a good 50-60m with no drop off. 

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I wouldn’t do connections to the cabins - too much hassle. 

Just install a pair of these at either side of the amenity block and job done. 

https://www.ebuyer.com/828322-tp-link-eap225-outdoor-ac1200-wireless-mu-mimo-gigabit-outdoor-access-point-eap225-outdoor

Use the Omada controller and you’ve got the ability to do multiple guest networks / SSIDs etc. Range outside is a good 50-60m with no drop off. 

Too much hassel I'm not after. But economy I am.

And these are not economical.😬 Thanks for the option, but i'll accept some hassel to reduce the bill. Also concerned that the full wrap of PIR may affect signal strength. In each cabin.

5 hours ago, Jenki said:

At the moment the amenity is my tool store and washer dryer room.😂. but no WIFI is not required in there.

so if I opt for a small 5 port switch

then put one of these Routers into each cabin, with a bit of setup (???) I should be ok?

all in for £30 ish

I don't know about using Routers as WiFi Access Points. I guess they would work. Perhaps need to turn off DHCP so devices get an IP from your main router managing the guest network?

You can get WiFi access points for £20 - £40 on Amazon but I've not used them. Perhaps others here have. Example:

TP-Link TL-WA901N 450 Mbps Wireless N Access Point, Passive PoE Power Injector, 10/100M Ethernet Port.. £20.49.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA901N-Wireless-Injector-Ethernet/dp/B087MSF7BR/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=53310796295&gclid=CjwKCAjw4c-ZBhAEEiwAZ105RSuejHOnZC2FA83urbj3nXcfmYXfnfcfR19_iwfBGee8GOj2YL9PxxoCn9oQAvD_BwE&hvadid=259016914938&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=1006818&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10865873223415071343&hvtargid=kwd-361530570237&hydadcr=5058_1827822&keywords=wifi+access+point&qid=1664402731&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0Ljk3IiwicXNhIjoiNC40MCIsInFzcCI6IjQuMTMifQ%3D%3D&refinements=p_36%3A-3000&rnid=428432031&sr=8-1

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jenki said:

Thanks, Looked at these last night, and decided to sleep on it.  This morning on my phone Amazon suggested I buy them and the price had dropped to  £16.19🤷‍♂️. so all being well this will work seamlessly.

Thanks all....

the 901 is still £20, the 801 is £16 which is just a lower powered one and not as many bands etc

you’ll still need a way of managing DNS and guest networks etc and it just seems a lot of work to save £40…

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

the 901 is still £20, the 801 is £16 which is just a lower powered one and not as many bands etc

you’ll still need a way of managing DNS and guest networks etc and it just seems a lot of work to save £40…

Confused.

I thought if I use my main router, and set up a guest network on that, that separates my home network from the guest wifi access?  Then using the wireless Access point, this guest network will be broadcast in each cabin with no additional setting up?  Am I missing something...

I've already got the cables in place, so was hoping that it was a case of adding the boxes / power and plugging in?

Ok you have to disable the dns on each individual unit and make it dumb, and then you have to create the guest networks on each of the routers you install - this is separate to the DNS which allocates each device on the network an IP address and allows routing to the internet. This isn’t simple or easy to do as you also then need to access the units locally to reset anything unless you find some fun way of providing subnets and so on … 

So I refer back to my “less hassle” option that means you can reset the Wi-Fi from the other side of the world off a phone using the app… and not have to get out of bed to sort it when it stops working ..!

On 29/09/2022 at 13:21, Jenki said:

Confused.

I thought if I use my main router, and set up a guest network on that, that separates my home network from the guest wifi access?  Then using the wireless Access point, this guest network will be broadcast in each cabin with no additional setting up?  Am I missing something...

I've already got the cables in place, so was hoping that it was a case of adding the boxes / power and plugging in?

The TP-Link one linked to above supports multiple SSID mode and vLAN. So this effectively separates it from your own internal network. It’s easy to setup. TP-Link have videos on their web-site showing you how to do it. 

• Thanks 1