Nightmare tape removal

Arnold9801

There's been a 12mth delay in finishing the dormas on our new build. Subsequently I've started to remove the tape off the outside of the window frames and doors. 

OMG, what a nightmare. They're on the South side of the property and the sun has done something to them as they're bonded to the frames. As you pull them off, they all break up in little bits rather than come off in one. This means I have to use my thumb nail to scrape them off which is taking forever. 

I tried to scrape but it's damaging the frames. A solvent cleaner doesn't do anything and I'm afraid it will also damage the frames. 

Has anyone else had this issue and if so any hints on a better way to remove them?

What solvents have you tried? I've got a growing collection that work on some things but not others. Acetone, IPA, Petrol, White Spirt,  Methylated spirit, Cellulose thinners etc,

Test on somewhere out of sight first.

Edited by Temp

Since I found out how well vegetable oil lifts paint off your hands (I know... proper painters keep it on the brush), I'd be tempted to give that a try.  Cheap, easily available, and fairly innocuous.  As above, test where it won't be noticeable 😉

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Temp said:

What solvents have you tried? I've got a growing collection that work on some things but not others. Acetone, IPA, Petrol, White Spirt,  Methylated spirit, Cellulose thinners etc,

Test on somewhere out of sight first.

I've tried an acetone but it doesn't touch it. I'm afraid if I use something strong like white spirit, turps etc, it will discolour the black frames. 

Why not contact the window manufacturer for advice? Mine gave me low residue tape as I knew we would have a long delay. It's still made those funny marks on the glass that only show when it's damp or cold. 

Edited by Jilly
  • Thanks 1