Long crack in brickwork- under chimney stack in loft

karatekaren

Looks to me like the corbelled brickwork leans on that  timber and the timber has bowed a bit and the Mortor is soft. Try a straight edge against the wood and see if it is straight!. I would be tempted to diagonally brace that timber, rake out and re point the crack and surrounding brickwork. IMO it’s not going anywhere soon.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suspect the timber is a later addition to try and support the brickwork.  Looks like the brickwork wasn't bonded very well when it was constructed and has possibly settled a bit over time (not unusual with old chimney stacks; there's a lot of weight there). I'd get a professional to have a look at it for peace of mind, but I'd rake out and stitch maybe every 5th or 6th course.

5 minutes ago, markc said:

What’s going on next floor down? Have chimney breasts been removed?

Difficult to tell but that crack appears to stop at floor level and stop above the timber so I don’t believe movement has occurred above or below that crack.

• Like 1

Is it adjacent to a flue?  And is the flue in use and/or lined?

The crack hasn't significantly opened up but I'd certainly monitor it. Repairs would be to reinforce the timber and repoint. 

Edited by George

3 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

suspect the timber is a later addition to try and support the brickwork

I have the same timber set up in my loft-I’m inclined to think it was set up for the bricklayers to follow for the corbel,and provided a little stability during construction in the process. 

• Like 2

I have seen that timber too. For ease of construction I think.

Behind the brick will be 2 flues, and they do not seem ho be bonded together.  Perhaps one was used a lot and the other not. 

As Mark c. Says...do you still have chimney breasts in the roomz below? A lot were taken out.

Edited by saveasteading

18 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I have seen that timber too. For ease of construction I think.

Behind the brick will be 2 flues, and they do not seem ho be bonded together.  Perhaps one was used a lot and the other not. 

As Mark c. Says...do you still have chimney breasts in the roomz below? A lot were taken out.

Hi they are still in place fortunately. No danger of chimney stack falling, fingers crossed. 

On 13/09/2022 at 10:46, George said:

Is it adjacent to a flue?  And is the flue in use and/or lined?

The crack hasn't significantly opened up but I'd certainly monitor it. Repairs would be to reinforce the timber and repoint. 

Hi, we are not using the chimney- we have a lovely 9riginal fireplace still but just ornamental. We are getting ready for sale and I know cracks can look scary to new buyers. Because of renovations we have done the loft is now super accessible and light for any surveyor so they will definitely see it! 

On 13/09/2022 at 07:40, Roundtuit said:

I suspect the timber is a later addition to try and support the brickwork.  Looks like the brickwork wasn't bonded very well when it was constructed and has possibly settled a bit over time (not unusual with old chimney stacks; there's a lot of weight there). I'd get a professional to have a look at it for peace of mind, but I'd rake out and stitch maybe every 5th or 6th course.

Can you tell a novice what stitching means please? I can Google bit I like this site for real insight from professionals. 

38 minutes ago, karatekaren said:

Can you tell a novice what stitching means please? I can Google bit I like this site for real insight from professionals. 

You rake out mortar across a crack, insert a small length of reinforcing (mesh, rod, brick-tie) and then repoint the mortar. Leave to cure and then do the next joint. (You can do a few joints at once but not adjacent or the crack can open more while mortar is going off) .. unless you bend rod into a elongated U shape and hook over the ends of bricks into vertical joints.

Edited by markc
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, karatekaren said:

Sorry, not a professional by any stretch of the imagination; more of an enthusiastic amateur 🙂

Crack-stitching involves cleaning out a horizontal mortar joint, maybe 50cm either side of the crack, and then embedding a helical steel rod deep in the joint with a resin compound.  You can buy kits and diy it, but you really need a professional opinion as to whether it's an appropriate solution for your situation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roundtuit said:

Sorry, not a professional by any stretch of the imagination; more of an enthusiastic amateur 🙂

Crack-stitching involves cleaning out a horizontal mortar joint, maybe 50cm either side of the crack, and then embedding a helical steel rod deep in the joint with a resin compound.  You can buy kits and diy it, but you really need a professional opinion as to whether it's an appropriate solution for your situation.

Yes not even going to begin to attempt this on my own but don't want to sound like a numpty when talking to potential builders as some are less than scrupulous round our way, and I want to make sure I have a little knowledge in advance, so I can ask the right questions. Thanks so much!