Building regs inner room query

AmyB

We are wanting to extend our kitchen by knocking down the highlighted wall, removing the old fashioned lean too and rebuilding to the back of the house. We will be installing French doors at the back and a sky light in the new roof. 

Between the current lean too and my playroom is a large window (but it only has a top opener). The building regs guy told me that he wouldn't sign off any extension as there's no second exit, as the playroom is an inner room. I suggested replacing the current window with a tilt and turn so it could easily be used as a exit, but he said that wasn't good enough. 

He also said that it doesn't have a direct light source, but I don't see how a door would be any better than a window for providing light either. 

Is this correct? I really don't want to knock a door through and I don't want open plan rooms. 

Thanks. 

20220903_153041.jpg

4 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Could you have a 'store' instead of playroom?  A storage room needs no light or heat.

It's a large room, it's meant to be a living room or dining room. I just use it as a playroom as I have 3 messy children. 

Can you show exactly where the sliding doors are going?

If the'y're going in the room currently called 'lean-to', then as a thoroughfare to outdoors it's becoming a less convoluted route to get from playroom to outdoors? TBH, it would be the same if they were going into the rear wall ( top of the drawing )? You're not adding a maze of corridors! As it stands, you need to get through 4 doors to get to outside / rear from the current playroom?

Can you get a second opinion? Offer to install linked ( mains ) heat / smoke detectors in those rooms for early warning?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Can you show exactly where the sliding doors are going?

If the'y're going in the room currently called 'lean-to', then as a thoroughfare to outdoors it's becoming a less convoluted route to get from playroom to outdoors? TBH, it would be the same if they were going into the rear wall ( top of the drawing )? You're not adding a maze of corridors! As it stands, you need to get through 4 doors to get to outside / rear from the current playroom?

Can you get a second opinion? Offer to install linked ( mains ) heat / smoke detectors in those rooms for early warning?

The French doors are going on the current kitchen back wall, and they'll be a full size window on the new 'lean too' wall. I can see how currently it's not great for a fire escape, that's why I suggested a full opening window (it's a pretty huge window atm). 

This was the council building regs, so I could investigate a private one for a second opinion. 

I hadn't thought of a mains detector, I'll see if that is an option. Thanks 

Which direction does the hallway go ..? As that isn’t a room it’s a circulation space and you have one door to exit. Fit a fire door on the kitchen and it also then becomes an enclosed space for fire regs. Not 100% convinced the BCO is correct here 

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Why not have a glass internal door instead of the window? It would let a lot of light in and be safer. 

I didn't really want a door as I was planning on having kitchen cupboards under the window. I'm going to have to rethink the kitchen layout now if I have to have a door . 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Which direction does the hallway go ..? As that isn’t a room it’s a circulation space and you have one door to exit. Fit a fire door on the kitchen and it also then becomes an enclosed space for fire regs. Not 100% convinced the BCO is correct here 

The hallway leads straight from the kitchen to the front door. I seem to be getting a few conflicting opinions to what the BCO told me. 🙈

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Not 100% convinced the BCO is correct here 

+1 .   as said above you will be removing a door (from 4 to 3) to exit out the back and still 2 to exit at the front. More light will enter the playroom because of you're roof light. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Completely agree.

I have a study which is an inner room and had to have a suitable escape window opening as detailed below. However my escape window exits into the rear garden....I assume you can't have a new window in the LH side wall?

An inner room can be acceptable where:
the inner room is a kitchen, laundry or utility room
the inner room is a dressing room

the inner room is a bathroom, shower room or WC, or any room on the basement, ground or first floor, which has an openable window or external door suitable for escape or rescue.

To be suitable for escape purposes, windows should conform to the following dimensions:
It should have an unobstructed opening area of 0.33 sq.m and have a minimum dimension of 450 mm in either direction. The bottom of the opening should be no more than 1100mm
above the floor.
Note: a window 450 mm x 450 mm will not meet the 0.33 sq.m criteria. In practice, the minimum clear openable area is 450mm x 734mm.

Escape from the window should be to a place of safety free from the effects of fire. Where this is to an enclosed back garden or yard, its length should be at least equivalent to the height of the dwelling.

https://www.north-norfolk.gov.uk/media/1809/building-control-guidance-notes-means_of_escape.pdf

Edited by MAB