Does this make sense?

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me make sense of this issue. We had a flat roof resurfaced and the roofer removed and reset the ridge tiles but has now offset them which looks odd to me. The pictures show before and after. Here is the explanation I received when questioning the need for this. 

"Hi there, we done it that way as your flat roof ends there, it's an end peak to install harris rails so it's flush we can change it if you wish buddy we done it that way for better run off on the roof from harris rail and the battern line under ridge"

The flat roof is at the rear of the property and these pictures are from the front view. They fitted the old tiles but it looks like they broke one and added in a different tile. I'm just not sure how to respond now and if I should even have them back to change it.

Many thanks 

Gary

20220821_185937.jpg

20220821_190026.jpg

20220821_203154.jpg

I am not understanding why a flat roof required them to alter the ridge of the peaked roof?  I am not even sure from the pictures where the flat roof referred to is?

The ridge tiles are appalling, they should all be the same size and I think the apprentice's son must have bedded them in, a very poor job indeed.

• Like 2

Crap!!! The flat roof is too high (which is why the ridge tiles are higher), I have seen the flat roof be extended over the front roof and ridge tiles not used (looks rubbish IMO). The ridge has been raised so Technically it needs planning permission (but doubt the council will notice 🤷‍♂️).

• Like 2

Christ on a bike.

If you have not paid them yet, then DON'T

It looks to me like you are having a loft conversion done with a flat roofed dormer.  They have run into trouble with headroom so jacked the dormer roof up to the point it is too high.  then the laid the ridge tiles back, cementing them onto roofing felt, and cocked up at a funny angle so they are higher than the end ones set correctly (but badly)

I suspect your builders turned up on horseback, wearing spurs and big brimmed hats?

I don't know how to correct this mess, but mess it is and I would not want it left like that.

• Thanks 1

@Confused123 It looks like the original flat roof was very close to the ridge and is now even higher? This Is almost always a problem both for watertightness and looks.

If It's low enough you do something like this. The waterproof layer goes up under the tiles to prevent water ingress.

89994138.jpg.12ff98f637e08cc84e9209729a3dcbfe.jpg

The higher the flat roof is the harder it gets to make it waterproof and look good. In extreem you do something like this which extends the flat part to the other side and does away with the ridge tiles but it's not pretty.

7.1_10.5.thumb.png.3f3e7e9512d3de80a6f6b780505605f6.png

I'm not sure what to suggest as it depends why it's now this high...

20220822_154734.thumb.jpg.e6603920bcdd13cec21eb5d3226640d8.jpg.c0b73e910c9d9ae1f2bf78929a40931f.jpg

15 hours ago, Confused123 said:

We had a flat roof resurfaced and the roofer removed and reset the ridge tiles but has now offset them which looks odd

34 minutes ago, Temp said:

depends why it's now this high...

I guess it was always that high as it’s just been resurfaced but what a state. The flashing looks diabolical along with everything else. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marvin said:

Hi @Confused123

when looking at the photos I notice that the board on the side of the flat roof is exposed more than it was suggesting that the flat roof has be raised at the ridge end.

I think you are absolutely right there. Perhaps that's why those ridge tiles are also now set at a strange angle. 

15 hours ago, Russdl said:

I guess it was always that high as it’s just been resurfaced but what a state. The flashing looks diabolical along with everything else. 

Thanks for all the details. This was built before we moved here but the flat roof was very high. I think the new flat roof has pushed it higher and caused problems with fitting the ridge tiles.

22 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

Do you happen to have a 'before' photo of the flat roof side?  It looks a bit like they've built the new roof on top of the old one, and hence the 'difficulties' at the ridge. No easy answers I suspect...

Yes, I took this to record the state of the old roof so you can see the old ridge tiles in the background.20220816_154143.thumb.jpg.83a94207da1b7499bb3dcf00e63d2f5f.jpg

So clearly the old roof covering needed replacing.

So just what did they do to raise it's level so much?  did they add a layer of insulation?  If that was their plan it would be obvious the issue it would create with the ridge tiles and they should have discussed a plan and alternative way to deal with the ridge.

Simply replacing the roof covering, preferably with something better than felt, e.g fibreglass or rubber, would not have cause the ridge tile issue.