New build floor plans - critique

bmj1

Hi all,

Open season ! Any comments, feedback, and suggests very much welcome and appreciated..

All I'd add is we are pretty much built out on the ground floor now (i.e. internal + exterior block walls are now above head height), but keen to learn any lessons nonetheless, and definitely keen to get any practical advice regarding 1st + 2nd floors.

Many thanks all in advance :)

ground-floor.pdf first-floor.pdf second-floor.pdf

7 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Looks like a lot of money being spent on steels!

Not a lot of grouping of bathrooms to reduce the number of soil pipes, distance of pipe tuns etc Not much you can do about it now, you are already committed

Plus 1 with The bathrooms 

Architechts have a habit of putting steels in everywhere Speak to your SE to minimize 

+2 for the steels, we have one in our 280sq.m 5 bed house. 

Never seen so many sliding doors, is that something you really want or architect’s idea? The one in the snug slides into a curved wall?!

Related to bathroom comments, not liking the soil pipes in the dining room, acoustic or not!

Whats going on between the dining room and snug, is there a hidden door behind a bookcase?

Gym on top floor and above a big bedroom? The noise and vibration will be horrendous. I reckon the staircases will feel dark and cramped. The whole design comes across as trying to get everything in even if that means compromising what it will be like to live in. 

As you are now committed to the ground floor layout I would just advise you are very, very careful about furniture and internal decor choices.   The dining room/lounge and hallway are long narrow spaces, and from the plans I’m struggling to visualise the placement of furniture etc.without making rooms feel cramped.  I’m no interior designer but I think a less is more approach to furniture, and the careful placement of mirrors in the narrower tighter spaces may help.  I think you need to decoratively separate / define the dining room and loung areas.  Leaving the sliding doors open from this room into the hallways will make that room feel wider.

in your study swap the bookcases (built in?) and desk around.  you don’t want your main desk space with windows behind. you end up closing blinds to see your screen , and working in a space with minimum natural light. 

Moving upstairs, bedroom 3 will be a problem for wardrobes.   Having the edges of wardrobes across windows can look terrible and badly designed, and if you have wardrobes on the wall opposite the windows that room will feel very long and narrow.   If it were me, I’d put a built in corner WIW in that room.  Have attached a sketch.  I’ve seen these in American homes and they work really well.

On the second floor I think you’ve got real problems.  Lots of odd shaped box rooms.  If you were able to just have one shower room that would help.  Also would have though having natural light to art room to be important.

Have attached an alternative idea.

without providing a background to your needs and circumstances - family etc, it’s always difficult to give the best advice.  Eg kids, dogs, WFH etc.

understanding your needs will help us give you some good ideas or suggestions.  

at the moment I do agree you’re trying to squeeze too much in, especially top floor.  I suspect you have concerns yourself. 

A bit of rethinking, and you’ll end up with an amazing house lots of the things in the design could work out really well.  Just try not to think like a major developer who doesn’t care less about how you live after they’ve sold you their overpriced houses with loads of tiny rooms.

9A62E16D-8D57-4E01-BAB7-A74DD52CE3D8.jpeg

651382FE-9078-45A3-8477-F6FC1B6E6775.jpeg

On 21/08/2022 at 22:55, bassanclan said:

Looks like a lot of money being spent on steels!

Not a lot of grouping of bathrooms to reduce the number of soil pipes, distance of pipe tuns etc Not much you can do about it now, you are already committed

On 22/08/2022 at 06:50, nod said:

Plus 1 with The bathrooms 

Architechts have a habit of putting steels in everywhere Speak to your SE to minimize 

As you say, already committed. An interesting learning though. The steels were actually as per design from SE..

On 22/08/2022 at 07:48, Bonner said:

+2 for the steels, we have one in our 280sq.m 5 bed house. 

Never seen so many sliding doors, is that something you really want or architect’s idea? The one in the snug slides into a curved wall?!

Related to bathroom comments, not liking the soil pipes in the dining room, acoustic or not!

Whats going on between the dining room and snug, is there a hidden door behind a bookcase?

Something we want so we can open up the space seamlessly for hosting.

Yes, hidden door behind joinery.

On 22/08/2022 at 08:07, markc said:

Gym on top floor and above a big bedroom? The noise and vibration will be horrendous. I reckon the staircases will feel dark and cramped. The whole design comes across as trying to get everything in even if that means compromising what it will be like to live in. 

Thanks for the feedback. Any suggestions for how we can soundproof/vibration proof the gym ?

I'm hoping the floor to ceiling windows next to the staircase will bring in lots of light, as well as the crittall-style sliding doors to the dining room, which will bring in light from that side as well. We've also got a rooflight above the staircase (not shown on the floor plans), which should bring light in also.

On 22/08/2022 at 12:12, Bozza said:

As you are now committed to the ground floor layout I would just advise you are very, very careful about furniture and internal decor choices.   The dining room/lounge and hallway are long narrow spaces, and from the plans I’m struggling to visualise the placement of furniture etc.without making rooms feel cramped.  I’m no interior designer but I think a less is more approach to furniture, and the careful placement of mirrors in the narrower tighter spaces may help.  I think you need to decoratively separate / define the dining room and loung areas.  Leaving the sliding doors open from this room into the hallways will make that room feel wider.

Agreed - thank you !

in your study swap the bookcases (built in?) and desk around.  you don’t want your main desk space with windows behind. you end up closing blinds to see your screen , and working in a space with minimum natural light. 

Agreed - we're making this change now

Moving upstairs, bedroom 3 will be a problem for wardrobes.   Having the edges of wardrobes across windows can look terrible and badly designed, and if you have wardrobes on the wall opposite the windows that room will feel very long and narrow.   If it were me, I’d put a built in corner WIW in that room.  Have attached a sketch.  I’ve seen these in American homes and they work really well.

Agree it's a compromise. Will look into this, thank you!

A bit of rethinking, and you’ll end up with an amazing house lots of the things in the design could work out really well.  Just try not to think like a major developer who doesn’t care less about how you live after they’ve sold you their overpriced houses with loads of tiny rooms.

Thank you for the really thoughtful feedback :)

On 22/08/2022 at 12:53, Mr Punter said:

Your steel could cost £50k.  Can you just do 200mm hollowcore concrete floors instead?

I think our steels was closer to £30k. Honestly though, this ship has sailed for us. Next time 😅 I'll solicit feedback earlier !

On 22/08/2022 at 14:01, CharlieKLP said:

Any elevations? What’s it look like.

Attached is a render, hope this helps !

image.thumb.png.f34378888a84f26852fe766b6eded01e.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Shame not to balance it up with a matching bay on the right/study window

8 hours ago, CharlieKLP said:

Very nice I like it.

I think I would have double bay windows so it’s symmetrical.

Not a fan of the flat pyramid roof in general.

A combination of planning considerations and a desire to deliberately break the symmetry. But I hear you !