Trimless lights plastering

revelation

I’ve done quite a lot of these

The electricians attach a fine string to the wire a tape to the side 

No magnetic fitting in till plastered

Then pre fill around each one and skim over The plasters will pull each wire down then clean each one 

as The plaster sets 

They come up really clean 

1 hour ago, revelation said:

Thanks for the responses.  I will be taking out the light fitting etc before plastering.  

I was wondering whether or not this will require the fibre tape on it or will they just plaster onto the metal part without the tape. 

they skimmed them straight in, no scrim tape :) 

Have installed a lot of these for my current 2 clients builds. They look a million dollars when skimmed and painted, IMO. 

I use decorators caulk around the hole, then push the fitting up into the caulk, and fit with a couple of temp screws. I use baby wipes to remove almost all of the displaced caulk and lea e to dry. 
The screws get removed immediately before plastering. 
Regarding scrim, I do that every time for belt and 2 braces. Cost = next to zilch so why wouldn’t you ;)? I apply the scrim around the hole before the caulk and fitting of the light. The tape goes half inside the perforated skirt and half is left exposed to pick up the plaster. 
I used a bi metal hole saw and cut discs out of foam to use to plug the holes in the light fittings, with the lamp retaining rings still fitted eg so they didn’t go walkeis or get damage in storage.

Edited by Nickfromwales

5 hours ago, DragsterDriver said:

They come out fine. Make sure the ‘guts’ are stripped out and tell the plasterer slowly and clearly they need to be spotless. Then remind him before he starts 😉 

705043D8-FD0D-4021-87CD-9463A725145F.jpeg

That does look very impressive.  Could your average sparky, tacker, plasterer and decorator achieve this without messing up and blaming each other?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

685ED0CB-9E7D-454B-8F79-70F61C1412B2.thumb.jpeg.1efe80171cd981bf7145ad1a67344068.jpeg

This one shows the lights caulked, screwed and wiped. Plasterer scrim taped these before skimming, taped before on a previous job iirc but works either way tbh. 
Screws removed before skimming. 

we're you so happy with how they came out you ended up dancing on the ceiling?

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

That does look very impressive.  Could your average sparky, tacker, plasterer and decorator achieve this without messing up and blaming each other?

Plasterer skims flush to the lip, painter rollers straight over. Easy thing to get great results with.

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Have installed a lot of these for my current 2 clients builds. They look a million dollars when skimmed and painted, IMO. 

I use decorators caulk around the hole, then push the fitting up into the caulk, and fit with a couple of temp screws. I use baby wipes to remove almost all of the displaced caulk and lea e to dry. 
The screws get removed immediately before plastering. 
Regarding scrim, I do that every time for belt and 2 braces. Cost = next to zilch so why wouldn’t you ;)? I apply the scrim around the hole before the caulk and fitting of the light. The tape goes half inside the perforated skirt and half is left exposed to pick up the plaster. 
I used a bi metal hole saw and cut discs out of foam to use to plug the holes in the light fittings, with the lamp retaining rings still fitted eg so they didn’t go walkeis or get damage in storage.

We did you remove the screws?  We didn't use the screws that came with the lights but ones with a slightly smaller and flatter head. 

We have screws in the light fittings already so should we just scrim on top?

9 hours ago, revelation said:

We did you remove the screws?  We didn't use the screws that came with the lights but ones with a slightly smaller and flatter head. 

We have screws in the light fittings already so should we just scrim on top?

You remove the screws to prevent them staining or ‘popping’ the plaster

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Yes but like everything these days you need to explain several times what’s required. 

8 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. Plus they do nothing when screwed into 12mm of plasterboard. The caulk holds them rock solid, when completely dry. Screws just come out and get binned.

We put pieces of ply on the other side of the plasterboard so the screws had something to bite into on the other side.  So it feels like a solid fixing. 

would you guys say regardless screws are a bad idea? 

17 hours ago, revelation said:

We put pieces of ply on the other side of the plasterboard so the screws had something to bite into on the other side.  So it feels like a solid fixing. 

That's a good job tbh, so defo worth the screws in that instance. Small head screws like No.3.5's leave more coverage for the skim over the screw head so be mindful not to use pan-head etc that's all as you dont want more skim on than the depth of the lip of the fitting ( which is what you're supposed to skim to ).

Edited by Nickfromwales

On 14/08/2022 at 10:08, DragsterDriver said:

They come out fine. Make sure the ‘guts’ are stripped out and tell the plasterer slowly and clearly they need to be spotless. Then remind him before he starts 😉 

705043D8-FD0D-4021-87CD-9463A725145F.jpeg

Do you have a link to the make/model you used? GU10 I take it?

Thanks 

On 16/08/2022 at 11:53, Nickfromwales said:

That's a good job tbh, so defo worth the screws in that instance. Small head screws like No.3.5's leave more coverage for the skim over the screw head so be mindful not to use pan-head etc that's all as you dont want more skim on than the depth of the lip of the fitting ( which is what you're supposed to skim to ).

that’s reassuring.  So with the scrum tape it should be used above the fitting where it meets the plasterboard

33 minutes ago, revelation said:

that’s reassuring.  So with the scrum tape it should be used above the fitting where it meets the plasterboard

If you’ve put screws in, then prob not much coverage left to put scrim and skim atop the screw heads. 
With screws into ply, I doubt you need to go any further 👌

• 2 weeks later...