what surface for sloping drive

Post and beam

This weeks question for my planned build. Advice sought yet again.

The frontage to the plot i hope to build on slopes 2 metres downwards over a 18 metre distance to the house. The frontage is about the same width, 18 metres. I would be happy with a gravel drive. What kind of slope would make gravel a bad idea and what are good alternative options?

I would rather spend the moneyi have on the house if at all possible.

I have the same problem. In the end we changed the approach and will enter the plot lower down and drive across the slope rather than down it. The height difference from the road to lowest point of the drive (and house) is over 2m so it meant building up the site bringing a lot of material in. I said this was a non-starter as it nearly brought us to sell the plot. 

We’ll be using gravel. 

0CCC5065-6D15-4331-BB30-8AE5C135366D.jpeg

2B354D47-1DB3-4326-8D11-98AEC9AE9B27.jpeg

Edited by Kelvin

If your plot is LOWER than the road, beware.

Our previous house was like that, and we had a gravel drive.  It was constantly suffering from rainwater run off from the road down the drive, bringing road silt with it and clogging the gravel.

IF you are going to do that, fit an ACCO drain across the entire width of the road opening right by the road, to catch any run off and pipe it away.

This time, similar situation, we are having tarmac that will be more robust and easier to clean of any run off.

• Like 1

That was exactly my concern with the first block plan the architect did. The groundswork guy I’m speaking to made the same point with the same suggestion. 

Edited by Kelvin

Post and Beam  2m over 18m is rather steep. OK but not comfortable for most cars or people. 

Also remember you need to level off at the road, so that uses some of your 18m.

2m over 16m will be 12.5%

Kelvin, The bellmouth entrance is likely to be required as tarmac, to stop stones getting on the road. 

Whatever the material, if you can contrive a slight rise onto your plot then no water will run in.

With option 2 a slight crossfall (as the existing slope) will shed the water off the side.

If you have any abnormally steep country roads near you, then try driving them and imagine as your drive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

I saw you mention them in another thread so have been looking into them. Was originally looking at gabion baskets but they surprisingly dear. 

In real terms Gabion walls are (can be) a very cheap alternative, they are easy to place, no brickies no shuttering and no concrete pour plus a complete novice can fill with stones and make a respectable dry stone wall look retaining wall.

I think i can get the backfill for the baskets relatively cheaply as I have a source of free stone not far from the plot. As it happens I am going on a dry stone walling course as one of our boundaries has 100m of wall. Most of which is in reasonable shape but there is some work to do to repair it. I also want to build some dry stone wall features in the garden. 

Thanks guys but to get back to the question, is the drop i am anticipating too steep for gravel even with the reatining hexagons stuff i have seen.

One alternative i considered was to build a gabion wall across and fill with the spoil from my foundations. If i could raise it 1 metre it makes the slope much less dramatic.

3 hours ago, Post and beam said:

the retaining hexagons stuff

I have used this a lot and it works. The  plastic will chip at the top over time but it will continue its job of retaining the stone. 

Yu must consider if you will have heavy loads on it ever, and put more stone underneath accordingly.

Yes you will be able to dive up that slope, but the decision on attractiveness/ comfort must be yours.

3 hours ago, Post and beam said:

If i could raise it 1 metre

Yes that works too but you then need pedestrian ramp or steps, and there is a potential 1m fall off the drive.

On 10/08/2022 at 13:51, SteamyTea said:

I have a gentle slope on my drive.

It is a bugger to check the oil level on the car.

Won't be a problem in a few years when we all have EVs.

Won't the electrolytes migrate to one end? 😉