Decking in sloped garden - objections raised

plazacornwall

Hi all, was looking for some advice if you please. I've erected some decking at the back of my home in Cornwall on a sloped garden and have complied with the planning permission requesites re the decking not being over 30cm higher ground level (at the highest point from the ground adjacent) & not covering more than 50% of my garden. 
I informed both of my neighbours about my intentions well in advance, out of courtesy, and they raised no issues. 
Having completed the project, I went on holiday for two weeks and I have had subsequent contact from both neighbours stating they are uncomfortable about their privacy/being able to see into their homes from the decking (I am assuming they have colluded as they raised pretty much the same complaint word for word one after another). 
I've offered to erect privacy screening but they have both said they don't want this as would effect their light/view. Was intending on applying for retrospective planning permission with the screening regardless, but there seems to be a whole swathe of differing information online. This site states that neighbours can refuse permission even if the decking conforms:- https://www.cladcodecking.co.uk/blog/post/planning-permission-for-decking whilst there seems to be a precedence set from previous planning inspectorate cases that my application would be succesful if I was to erect privacy screening. I'm trying to be reasonable, paticularly as no issues were even hinted at when I discussed this prior to constructing the decking. 
Any advice on what my rights are/how you advise I should proceed would be greatly appreciated - also if anyone has encountered similar problems & the outcomes. Many thanks.

Edited by plazacornwall

If you meet the PD guidelines, then you have nothing to worry about. Neighbours can comment/object all they want. If you want that added piece of mind if it is PD, then you can submit a Lawful Development Certificate application to the Council. It'll cost you £103.00 plus the PP service charge and the application would also need to be accompanied by the relevant drawings.

I wouldn't read too much into that decking link. It seems they have extracted certain parts from the GPDO and made up the rest.

• Like 1

Hi all, thanks very much for the responses thus far, it’s much appreciated. That’s a really handy bit of info regarding a Lawful Development Certificate and I’ll definitely explore this route. 

As regards complying with the rules, I believe I have albeit there does seem to be a caveat regarding privacy which is 

“The decking must not affect the ability of neighbours to enjoy their own gardens, or risk any intrusion to their privacy – for example, by being high enough to see over their fences”

As it is a sloped garden, if I was that way inclined I could stand at the edge of the decking and look over their fences. This is why I mention erecting privacy screening at the far end of the deck to effectively counteract this argument and, provided this screening isn’t taller than 2m (is this measured from ground level?) I can’t see I’d need permission from the neighbours despite their protests. 

• Like 1

At a previous house I planned to build a conservatory but the neighbour complained I would be able to see straight into her bedroom (bungalow) via her kitchen, when I pointed out that the view would be no different from me sitting on the existing patio and it was her that built close to the boundary she bought a blind for her window 🤣

14 hours ago, plazacornwall said:

Hi all, thanks very much for the responses thus far, it’s much appreciated. That’s a really handy bit of info regarding a Lawful Development Certificate and I’ll definitely explore this route. 

I would wait as there is a fee.

If the neighbours are really upset they will complain to the planners. The planners may ask to come take a look. If you meet Permitted Development Rights they will go away and tell the neighbours that Planning Permission isn't required. End of story.

If the planners think you don't comply they may send a "letter of intended enforcement". Don't panic. You have lots of options. Read the letter to see why they think it doesn't meet Permitted Development Rights. Then call and ask what they recommend you do. They may suggest a retrospective planning application and allow it just so they can tell the neighbours its all in order. You could also fix the problem and the apply for a Certificate. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

Where have you read that caveat… on the PP website or another official source?

Again, not an official source (so could well be incorrect/a misinterpretation) but some websites allude to this privacy caveat as per the following:- https://www.savoytimber.com/help-and-advice/do-you-need-planning-permission-for-your-garden-decking/

I'm not particularly au fait with planning permission regs outside of those I read and complied with on the official website, but given my lack of knowledge seems a bit of a minefield in terms of differing info online have been caught a bit off guard by these sudden objections. 

6 hours ago, Temp said:

If the neighbours are really upset they will complain to the planners. The planners may ask to come take a look. If you meet Permitted Development Rights they will go away and tell the neighbours that Planning Permission isn't required. End of story.

If the planners think you don't comply they may send a "letter of intended enforcement". Don't panic. You have lots of options. Read the letter to see why they think it doesn't meet Permitted Development Rights. Then call and ask what they recommend you do. They may suggest a retrospective planning application and allow it just so they can tell the neighbours its all in order. You could also fix the problem and the apply for a Certificate. 

OK, this is brilliant advice thanks. 

Do not read too much into third party websites giving “their” take on Planning/PD. Always use the Planning Portal or Government website. If you comply with that, you have nothing to worry about.

I could spend days trawling through various third party websites where they provide incorrect Planning and Building Regulations advice.

• Like 1

I don't think it has been mentioned how "ground level" is measured for fence height.

There's stuff about measuring from the original ground level, whatever that means, and also how slopes are handled, and also how being next to a building affects it.

But for now just be aware of the issue, and only dive into it if you need to.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I don't think it has been mentioned how "ground level" is measured for fence height.

There's stuff about measuring from the original ground level, whatever that means, and also how slopes are handled, and also how being next to a building affects it.

But for now just be aware of the issue, and only dive into it if you need to.

The same as if it was a building.DF54890C-99B6-4DF9-877C-298B6F4249DD.thumb.jpeg.5bba066c095c9d1bbbb553824bc9f3b4.jpeg

11 hours ago, Temp said:

+1.

I wouldn't do anything. The neighbours might not even complain, and even if they do the complaint might not be upheld, and even if it is you then still have options.

Wow, just read that long link but the end result is as I expected, planners know nothing about the rules (don’t get me started about planners, I went to appeal about our build and won), his went to appeal and he won, decking height is measured next to the house (max 300mm) and any slope acceptable , all done under PD. (As long as you retain PD rights?).

Edited by joe90