Rust Removal Adventures: Electrolysis, Acid etc

Onoff

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

You had better think of another project quick. Else people might start mentioning the bathroom. 

Tree house roof tomorrow...maybe!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Need to derust a couple of steel wheels.

20180409_165316

And to think everything in the photo was being thrown out!

20180409_165030

My 38 year old CB pack made from a battery charger:

20180409_171216

10ml of these per litre, so 350ml into 35 ltrs of water:

20180409_171139

And leave to ferment:

20180409_175034

Safety first:

20180409_175244

Quite why SWMBO moans...

:ph34r:

35 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

would get me out of a hole :ph34r:

;)

I believe washing soda itself has weed killing properties. In the States where soda blasting is big they sell the waste residue to the rail companies. My missus wants to "pour some on the patio" to test it's effectiveness at removing the green algae(?).

"When I've done yer wheels luv!"

Tbh when I've got the heavy stuff off I'll give them a grit blast before painting but this should save on the blasting grit. Not sure whether to knock off the balancing weights that are on there?

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

;)

I believe washing soda itself has weed killing properties. In the States where soda blasting is big they sell the waste residue to the rail companies. My missus wants to "pour some on the patio" to test it's effectiveness at removing the green algae(?).

"When I've done yer wheels luv!"

Tbh when I've got the heavy stuff off I'll give them a grit blast before painting but this should save on the blasting grit. Not sure whether to knock off the balancing weights that are on there?

Knock the weights off. Or they wont be there when you take the wheel out. Plus they will contaminate your tank.

51 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

I hope you were wearing gloves and a mask. I’m no mr safety but blasting is a dangerous game. 

Gloves and a mask but I did it topless which wasn't the best idea tbh with the blow back! 

Running out of blasting medium now. Been advised to look for J-Blast Supafine. Need somewhere close I can buy 25kg without getting stung for hefty p&p!

Is there any way to gauge when my washing soda based electrolyte is exhausted? Thinking test strips? I presume it's an alkaline medium?

So if it is exhasted can I just add more soda crystals and give everything a stir?

The bloody dustbin leaked and CT1 wouldn't fix it! :(

Made a new batch in a water butt. 45l water with 450ml soda crystals. 

20180418_203738

The electrode "ring" could do with being set lower tbh:

20180418_203754

24vdc psu this time at 5A and it's going berserk! :)

20180418_203805

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Looks like my mates homebrew, probably tastes better.

That's something I keep meaning to get back into, home brew.  Started making it when I was about 12. Happy Summer days with a Corona lemonade bottle full of Boots Continental Lager etc. Wine too.....and cider, ginger beer, mead.....

This is weird...the second steel wheel. The electrolysis has removed huge amounts of rust but the resultant surface is really rough, black and almost oily, stains yours hands like nothing else. I don't remember having the same amount of this stuff on the first wheel. It reminds me of when Jenolite converts iron oxide (red) to iron sulphide (black) but that I'm sure is like a hard substance. Thinking the only way to remove this black stuff is sand blasting of which I was hoping to keep to a minimum. Maybe it just needs to be left in the tank for longer?

2018-04-22_01-02-08

• 1 year later...

Anyone used citric acid as a deruster? It "gets in places" where electrolysis, being line of sight, doesn't.

Supposedly nearly as good as Bilt Hamber Deox-C which is damn good but I've run out and don't want to buy any as it's expensive.

I'm going to get some citric acid from Wilko and have a go but heat in the ancient heated tank I made 35+ years back. Was meant for electroplating PCBs originally. Just found it in a clear out. 

Got a bearing assembly off the mower I need to loosen up. Currently pre soaking in finest McDonald's diet coke!

Edited by Onoff

Timely reading!!!, I have just bought an old cylinder mower which has a fair amount of rust on various parts, I was going to wire brush with angle grinder then hammerite. Would I be better off using above acid stuff? Is there a particular way to get good results?.

I remember in the 70s using a IIRC pink gel rust convertor based on phosphoric acid. I can't think of the name. After that I always seemed to be using copious amounts of Waxoyl. Cars always rusted away in those days. Don't see many rusty cars any more.