Use of Portable Air Conditioners / Heat Pumps?

Thinking about the hot summer which is now upon us, and my heating for next window.  I have GFCH and a big (10 kWp) solar array, facing E/W.

I can't do anything physical to the house currently as half of it still stuck in a family estate.

So I'm looking at this kind of thing - a portable a/c, which comes optionally with a heat pump, which I have not seen before. Or a slightly smaller version of the same.

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/airflex15/electriq-airflex15

image.png.f51c2d12e82c0817c5b2eb6cc283d78c.png

Power consumption appears to be around 1.4-1.5 kW for 3.2-4 kW of benefit.

image.thumb.png.cf6fb1c71c09c0fdbef84032cb48f247.png

Does anyone have any views?

These are not as efficient as installed aircon / heat pumps. For heating I make that a CoP of 2.5 .

But for my circumstances, with an aim for a solar driven cool or hear boost early in the day, this looks quite good. And might stop me boiling now and let me leave the gas off for at least part of this winter.

And there's a returned and refurbed series of them available at £325.

Any comments are most welcome.

Ferdinand

You definitely want the heat pump version, the little one is probably just an evaporative cooler?

I have a similar thing, it will work as a cooler, dehumidifier or heater.  to work as a cooler you need to put a big pipe out somehow to expel the warm air, without letting more hot air back in.  I cut a bit of plywood to fit a small window opening and cut a suitable hole in that. Not very pretty.

and be warned they are noisy, think f a large fridge running non stop.  We could not stand the noise of it running overnight in a bedroom.

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You definitely want the heat pump version, the little one is probably just an evaporative cooler?

I have a similar thing, it will work as a cooler, dehumidifier or heater.  to work as a cooler you need to put a big pipe out somehow to expel the warm air, without letting more hot air back in.  I cut a bit of plywood to fit a small window opening and cut a suitable hole in that. Not very pretty.

and be warned they are noisy, think f a large fridge running non stop.  We could not stand the noise of it running overnight in a bedroom.

Good question. I have taken it as a real air conditioner, since it includes 'Gas'. ANd expensive enough to be an aircon.

But wisdom would be most welcome.

The manual is here:

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/files/pdf/AirFlex15_ r290 20201016.pdf

OK decision time.

£324 for a scuffed one without WiFi and Google Hub / Alexa linkage controllable from a mobile telephone, but with its own 24 hour timer, thermostat, and remote, or £469 for a new one in the sale with WiFi?

Hmmm. 

Since my intention is to run it off solar for a temperature adjustment in the morning, the non-Wifi one seems adequate. Unless the timer is a delay timer than has to be reset, which would then require a master timer on the plug socket.

57 minutes ago, Jenki said:

Looks similar to a product I was looking at today. I opted for a split unit and fingers crossed it keeps us warm....

Heres the link drastically reduced ..

https://reyfurniture.com/product/electriq-14000-btu-portable-air-conditioning-unit-mobile-air-conditioner-and-heat-pump-energy-a-plus-pus/

Thanks.

Looks identical. 

But that site looks to be questionable to me - the domain was only registered in May 22 for one year, for a start.

And the discount seems too heavy.

Ferdinand

We actually have two "portable" units. Inherited one from family.

1) First is a two box unit we picked up in Belgium. One box goes indoors and one outside. The two boxes are connected by two pipes about 1" in diameter that export the heat. Not sure if that means it's a heat pump model? It's nearly 20 years old now and still works well. Not really portable. 

2) The other unit is a one box that exports hot air down a 5" diameter flexible duct. Can be moved to different room if you can put the vent out through a window and seal the gap.

The first unit is much more effective at cooling a room. Both are quite noisy, noisy enough you need to turn up the volume on the TV. The noise isn't torally constant either. When the thermostat operates you get clunks and vibration and other noises. Some might not get able to sleep with the noise.

We only use it /them if it gets over about 27c so they don't get much use in a year but they are life savers when it's 30+. 

Edited by Temp

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

and be warned they are noisy, think f a large fridge running non stop

Ours are more like a big freezer and a pedestal fan going at same time.

7 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Thanks.

Looks identical. 

But that site looks to be questionable to me - the domain was only registered in May 22 for one year, for a start.

And the discount seems too heavy.

Ferdinand

Buy with you CC ;)  

5 hours ago, Temp said:

Ours are more like a big freezer and a pedestal fan going at same time.

They don’t get much quieter tbh, as is the same for my sons attic unit. Also needs an 8” discharge hose to atmosphere. 
A split will give you cooling with just the sound of a fan oscillating. I’m looking at a split for my other sons room as there just isn’t any floor space left in the room that I wish to sacrifice, so a unit on the wall is the weapon of choice by default.

Maintenance of the in-room units is a drag, as the tiny gaps between the heat exchanger fins catches dust extremely efficiently, and I have to take the unit outside and blow it all clean with my compressor and an air ‘gun’. You can see how quickly and by how much the output is affected by even the start of that accumulation of crud, mostly carpet / clothes fibres and then the fine particle dust catches in that. A PITA, but, in fairness, without the attic unit running 24/7 that room would be unusable.

I am likely to go for a split for my other sons room because a) I want to put AC in every bedroom by the end of the year, ( 8kWp of PV going in soon, expanded by another 4 also by the end of the year ), but his room ( rear extension 1st floor ) is 9” brick and it is just unbearable in both the peak of summer and the depths of winter, so that unit will likely need max output focussed in that room plus one other less adverse room, ergo the split will likely feed 2 rooms with his ‘prioritised’ as iirc you can do with certain decent splits. 
The other 3 less adverse bedrooms can come off a second split ( feeding the 3 rooms ) and that should suffice. 
Was hoping to get DIY Pre-gassed units for self install, but I’ve decided to just run all the gas lines, condensates, cables etc and dry mount the internal and external units and then get an AC fitter in to gas, test and commission in one visit. 
I’m way too busy with work to do EWI, and IWI is not sn option either for a bunch of reasons, but the 9” brick extension is gagging to be EWI’d in honesty.

Time is my enemy.

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Order placed for the new one, since the refurb is on a 4 week lead time.

I'm seeing this as a sort of informal test of a small heatpump in my house, and see how it compares to the GFCH in winter.

I'm sure you already know, but as a reminder, don't forget to let it settle before you switch it on! Following delivery I would leave it standing where you're going to use it and wait until the next day.

• Like 1

Got some quotes coming in for 2 multi splits systems, mixture of wall mount and slimline ducted units for our build. Bedrooms, lounge, living area and kitchen, cooling and taking the edge off later in the year with a touch of heating.  I'm putting the Air to Water HP on pause for now, but will install the UFH kit just in case my plan backfires and is needed at a later date, I'll be in and out of the build over winter so will be able to see if this will work for us or not.  Daikin as a manufacturer look good, as does Haier, Daikin almost twice the cost though.

On 14/07/2022 at 00:24, Ferdinand said:

Good shout, gutted I missed that, I'm usually aware of these and check, goes to show that the name of the site can help deceive.  

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Jenki said:

Good shout, gutted I missed that, I'm usually aware of these and check, goes to show that the name of the site can help deceive.  

Hope you didn't buy one 😁.

To be fair I live around the corner (2km) from the old Appliances Direct depot in Derbyshire, and have bought more than a dozen appliances from them over the last 10 years, including 6 in one go once, so I know that Electriq is bascially an Appliances Direct house brand, roughly like Lamona with Howdens. Though I do not know if it is a separate related company. So it was a huge red flag when it appeared on a third-party site.

For me AD have always been there-or-thereabouts on price, and I could go and look at the showroom in 5 minutes, pick up ex-showroom stuff, and collect easily in the estate car for smaller items. They have now moved to Castle Donnington, which is half an hour.

My first thought was whether it was a secondhand bit of kit, but I think it is probably just sell-and-vanish.

The brand is also now sold via Amazon, so slightly stretched and repositioned ('we only work with selected retailers'). https://www.electriq.co.uk/content/find-a-retailer .

The others eg Laptops Direct, Drones Direct are Appliances Direct verticals.

All run by a man in Huddersfield called Nick Glynne. Rapid-growing discounters leveraging scale remain a way to get quite rich, quite quickly. Very much a version of the same model as Pound Shop Chains, Dunelm or Screwfix. It's easier to build the front end presentation - as Toolstation prove to Screwfix' frustration. 

F

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

All run by a man in Huddersfield called Nick Glynne. Rapid-growing discounters leveraging scale remain a way to get quite rich, quite quickly. Very much a version of the same model as Pound Shop Chains, Dunelm or Screwfix. It's easier to build the front end presentation - as Toolstation prove to Screwfix' frustration. 

Trivia fact (might be fiction) I was informed that the original owner of Screwfix expanded and expanded until he needed bigger warehousing altogether, so found a new site, at this point the kingfisher group came along and offered him good money so he sold, he then set up Toolstation on his new site....

1 hour ago, Jenki said:

Trivia fact (might be fiction) I was informed that the original owner of Screwfix expanded and expanded until he needed bigger warehousing altogether, so found a new site, at this point the kingfisher group came along and offered him good money so he sold, he then set up Toolstation on his new site....

Indeed :-). Not fiction. One Jon Goddard-Watts. 

Around here we seem to be in a competition for number of branches.

I used to have Screwfix One 12 minutes away. and SF Two 12 minutes the other way.

Then TS One opened up 50m from SF One.

Then TS Two opened up 6 minutes away.

And we just have SF Three opening up 6 minutes the other way, having failed to get a unit by TS Two.

And 12 minutes the other way we also have TS Three in the adjoining unit to SF Two. 

It's like Boris Johnson, Wives and Mistresses. Though he has rebranded to Screwstation, and has 7 (known so far) direct subsidiaries. 

Ferdinand

toolstation-vs-screwfix.thumb.jpg.6a0865def1046b8717acbf78ac4d40a3.jpg

Why is it that both SF and TS seem to carry the same products? It'd be nice to see some more alternatives to the brands they stock. I can see how they might be selling the most popular or profitable brands but I've been in a situation where both fail to list the same part e.g. a copper T piece/reducer with a particular configuration that the manufacturer does in fact make.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

All run by a man in Huddersfield called Nick Glynne.

According to this US supplier intelligence company site Electriq have a presence at Trident Business Park, Leeds Rd, Huddersfield, GB with HQ in Australia, Browning St. Byron Bay, AU. Quite common to have Australian companies mediating with Chinese manufacturers.

Well, it's arrived 2 days early, and they woke me up.

Big parcel - 28kg and got a "f*ck's sake" from the nice delivery man as he lifted it over the doorstep very kindly, having suggested he leave it on the drive. 

Looking forward to a cool weekend.

🙂🤗