Wood. Burning stove for the Windy Roost Static

Jenki

Its obvious I will need to improve the heating in our static. (  As well as the drafts).

This fire can be on for an hour and you wouldn't know.

I've been offered a 6kw (wood burning stove) for free, that will fit, but thought I'd seek the advice of those who've trod this path previously.

Background:

We don't have any wood lying around except the offcuts from framing.

The 2kw heater does get the place warm.

My plan is to remove the fireplace and wooden sides, install a base probably some form of paving. A heat shield at the back.

The stove flue will be a short iron adaptor and then twin wall as soon as I can. Existing through the enlarged existing hole on the roof 

I've got a cheap thermometer so can check the surrounding temps.

Is 6kw too large, I know I don't need to fill it to the brim but?

Any suggestions for a cheap but acceptable heat shield.

Any other suggestions before I take the plunge.

It's been lovely up here the last few weeks but the caravan still drops to 15deg overnight. Winter will be long and hard if I don't sort this.

Also any tips on improving the drafts on the single glazed windows?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20220713_071737.thumb.jpg.7075249b4a8cceb99fff4b1f0ba6b236.jpg

16576944877063793999174119982421.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jenki said:

Any other suggestions before I take the plunge.

Get the draughts sorted out, stop the wind blowing underneath the van.

Then, assuming you have electricity, fit a cheap A2AHP.

You may have a second use for it later i.e. heat workshop or garage, summer cooling in bedrooms.

Build a large lean to shed on the side of the static, put wood burner in there, keep work clothes and wellies in there, washing machine and freezer, I saw this done on a YouTube vid, in very cold climate, it made life so much more bearable in the static. 
dirty out side clean inside, no workwear passed over the door threshold. 

14 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Build a large lean to shed on the side of the static, put wood burner in there, keep work clothes and wellies in there, washing machine and freezer, I saw this done on a YouTube vid, in very cold climate, it made life so much more bearable in the static. 
dirty out side clean inside, no workwear passed over the door threshold. 

Our project includes some pods/ cabins and an amenity block. This amenity block will be initially used for the purpose you describe. Washing machine / dryer and our work clothes. 

I've been building this, this week but it's not attached to the static.

IMG_20220712_185918.thumb.jpg.cb47130c22dc0a7a229573211319dafd.jpg

Edited by Jenki

22 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Get the draughts sorted out, stop the wind blowing underneath the van.

Then, assuming you have electricity, fit a cheap A2AHP.

You may have a second use for it later i.e. heat workshop or garage, summer cooling in bedrooms.

I'm interested in all options. do you have any suggestions / recommendations for a "cheap" monobloc A2AHP?

https://reyfurniture.com/product/electriq-14000-btu-portable-air-conditioning-unit-mobile-air-conditioner-and-heat-pump-energy-a-plus-pus/

seen the above its very cheap any thoughts

Edited by Jenki
info added

Just now, Jenki said:

I'm interested in all options. do you have any suggestions / recommendations for a "cheap" monobloc A2AHP?

Not really.

Panasonic used to do them for under 300 quid, 

There is this one for under 400

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/tf-12000ch/telefunken-tf12000ch-air-conditioner-air-conditioner

Not sure how much it would cost to get an F-Gas man in, but a few people have fitted them themselves.

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Not really.

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/tf-12000ch/telefunken-tf12000ch-air-conditioner-air-conditioner

Not sure how much it would cost to get an F-Gas man in, but a few people have fitted them themselves.

seen this one reduced, a newer model available it seems?

https://reyfurniture.com/product/electriq-14000-btu-portable-air-conditioning-unit-mobile-air-conditioner-and-heat-pump-energy-a-plus-pus/

I fitted a 5kW WBS to my static 'van. I fitted it alongside rather than in place of the gas fire.

I had several stone slabs I picked up from freecycle, all offcuts of stone worktops of differing thicknesses and sizes and made them work as a hearth and a surround.

stove_1.thumb.jpg.9c26437e19834ed15277b8c1fd388ee8.jpg

stove_2.thumb.jpg.5157cbdcaae851879a41dcba724a1110.jpg

stove_flue.thumb.jpg.9668545fb1a3173190b42456abfaa8e0.jpg

stove_joint.thumb.jpg.9b51010e82265898e73d112afad593be.jpg

The kink in the flue was so the twin wall went between the roof trusses and keep it to one side of the window.

an important (I think) detail is there is a small gap left between the stone sides and the wooden wall they are protecting.

It worked very well and kept us warm through the winter with the "beast from the east" but it was a challenge feeding it with wood.  We lit it in November and it hardly went out until March.  We put coal on over night to keep it in.  The wood was free as we had taken down a number of young trees to clear the plot.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jenki said:

seen this one reduced, a newer model available it seems?

That would need a large vent hole cut into the van.

The one I linked to just needs a small hole.

If you ever go to to a shop that has a portable AC unit running at the back, point out that they are actually heating the shop, not cooling it.

They need to draw in outside air and expel the hot air.  So the working bit should really be outside.

20 minutes ago, Jenki said:

Those normally come with a hose about 4" diameter to expel the hot air out of the building, but they are usually very noisy in operation, not something I would want on for a long time.  But on that one I don't see a facility to attach a hose and no mention of it.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Those normally come with a hose about 4" diameter to expel the hot air out of the building, but they are usually very noisy in operation, not something I would want on for a long time.  But on that one I don't see a facility to attach a hose and no mention of it.

There is a picture on the manufactures site and it shows a 4" hole. so assumed this. I could use the hole ion the floor where the fire is... 

I don't have access to free wood / so would have to buy that in as well as coal...

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Not really.

@SteamyTea I Think you've done your bit to save the planet, quick call and a local refrigeration guy will connect for £120.  If I do the install work... cheaper than buying the twin wall and heat deflectors.. and I can sleep easy at night knowing that my heating is green.  ( gas fired / nuclear / coal electricity🙈)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jenki said:

Hard to see how this one would work tbh - if its an all in one unit where's it pumping the heat from/to? Looks like it's just a dehumidifier.

25 minutes ago, Jenki said:

quick call and a local refrigeration guy will connect for £120. 

Document it all so we can see what is involved.

Be an interesting project.

May even post you one of my homemade energy loggers, could be useful data.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1