Irritating floor screed problem

dnb

I have a problem with sourcing floor screed due to a few (covid related) delays. It seems that the liquid screeder I was planning to use is spending less time working in my area probably due to high ferry costs and significant cancellation risks so doesn't appear to want the work any more. (I can understand why anyone would not want to operate under these circumstances, especially over the summer when tourists are the priority for the ferries.)

It looks like there are no other options here for getting a liquid screed. I therefore looked at other options - I can get any amount of locally made cement based screed delivered to site with ease. But I can't find anyone to lay it who isn't snowed under with work until at least the end of September. It's the usual self builder issue of it being too big for the people that do extensions and too small for those that do whole estates.

So I am reluctantly looking at option no. 3. Getting a cement screed and laying it myself. I have some labour I can call upon but I'm concerned it's a job that I won't be able to do well. The house is roughly 3 areas each of 40m2 with a depth of 65 to 70mm. Is DIY screeding a possibility. Does anyone have sage advice?

If i had to do this myself, due to urgency, and assuming some enthusiastic and strong assistance, then I would. I have knowledge but not much hands on with biggish areas.

Levelling would be my concern, as the screed keeps on coming and tamping/floating would be difficult without experience.

So i think i would leave it 2 to 3mm low as there will be glitches in level and screed marks. Then a few bags of self lelling screed will finish it off.

If you don't have the knowledge, then get learning or go back to plans 1 and 2.

Always bear in mind that you may not know how much you don't know.

And a very spectacular thing when done poorly….

If you could section each area off and install screed rails a-la @Onoff, and make some robust straight-edge’s up, you could get it close enough to use SLC after the initial ‘pour’. If you plan and strategise then this is doable, but do not even DREAM of trying to get the lot down in one go. Try one area first and see how big your balls remain ;) 

What are the sizes ( LxW ) of these areas? Possibly make a straight edge up for the widest room first, use it there, and then you can retain and cut it down for each smaller floor.  

2 hours ago, nod said:

September isn’t that far off 

It isn't.  But this is a tradesman's September. So could mean October or November... 😉  the disinterest is marked in some cases.

2 hours ago, nod said:

Screeding like plastering

And this is why I don't want to do it myself! I have tried plastering and I am dreadful at it so won't do it again.  I did screed half a small kitchen last year and that went OK. But it was hidden by units in an old house so I had a huge tolerance to aim for.

Room sizes are approx. 7.5 x 4, 7.5 x 5 and 9.5 x 5 (all metres).

7 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Is plain concrete an option, usually cheap and readily available.

A cement based screed is readily available. But labour to lay it well is not. 

Getting even one section done would allow other build progress. Will keep working on option 2.

My slab was that flat with my diy screed rails it didn't need SLC.

Most people other than some on here wouldn't take the time to do what I did. I'd hazard the majority of bought in contractors certainly wouldn't. 

Such a shame this, I was due to come over to the IoW last week and could have brought my lengths of Unistrut and £29.99 laser level! 😂

(Was coming over seriously but cancelled due to father's ill health then my lot got Covid the week we'd have been there). 

I have watched someone screed a very uneven floor.  They built up level around the edges and then filled in towards the middle.  The result was perfect.  I would not dream of doing this myself as it was clearly a very skilled job.  I have screeded sand for block paving but doing a whole house is a different prospect.

Think I would use a square baton of wood or aluminim as a movable depth gauge. Keep the baton in front of you and do narrow strips about 1m wide or as far as you can reach. So you are only having to level a strip between previous strip and the baton. Work backwards from a far wall towards a door (obviously). Have people supply mix whle you concentrate on getting it flat. Knee pads essential. Perhaps every other strip go back over it with a big float on a pole?

Looks like I have managed to find an option 2 based solution. My preferred sand and cement based screed layer has a delayed job so if I add some labour to the team we can get everything done in a couple of days. With any luck it will all be done (and I will need a chiropractor) by this time next week.

• Like 4

2 days in. I am worn out and my arms ache. Was a short day today due to the way the ground floor is divided up (28 m^2 so only 4 tonnes of barrowing).  Last day tomorrow and I can go for a long lie down.  Just under 6 tonnes to go!

• Like 4

Next week we are laying the base screed (ie for the PIR to sit on.)

I have specified fibre crack reinforcement, because it will save £2,000 worth of steel mesh.

The fibre concrete can be a pig to work with, and we have dispensed with the contractor. So 4 amateurs doing it (not me).

We will have a Gen 2, with fibres and plasticiser. £12/m3 more than without the fibres, i.e £1.80 /m2 for the reinforcement.

Report will follow.

They laid an outbuilding slab last week, prepped, shuttered, site mix, and lay. Very high quality, and for beginners I am seriously impressed.. No cracks at all.

No fibres in that though, so we will see soon enough how it goes.