I am looking for about 7 tons of  gravel for paths and a front and back garden, base for a loose-paved seating area etc in the next day or so. I would be grateful if anyone could give me a price check. I have looked at Decorative aggregates (eg "Golden Gravel" and normal gravel) think I can use a basic 20mm quartz gravel rather than decorative since much of it will be hidden and I am going for architectural planting etc and have an interesting boundary treatment. 

Prices are delivered.

From the local BM,

Decorative gravels (Golden, Slate chippings etc) are between about £100 and £130 for a bulk bag (=~800kg), plus VAT. Normal gravel = £50 per bag. Non starter.

From Wickes

Decorative Gravels are about £140 per bulk bag for eg Golden or Plum Slate. 3 for 2 makes that £94. Minus the usual 20% for Trade Card and using a Reloadable Gift Card makes it about £75 per bulk bag, plus £30 delivery equals £78 each for 10 bags.

Normal Driveway Gravel is £43 per bulk bag or £40 each for more than 3. Minus 20% = £32 each. Or £35-6 each including delivery. Good reviews.

From a local quarry:

Golden gravel or Yorkshire Flint gravel comes in at about £400-450 plus VAT for 8 tons delivered.

Quartz Gravel (ie normal basic driveway gravel) comes in at £200 plus VAT for 8 tons delivered.

But I really do not want to inflict a 6 wheeler on this small cul-de-sac and make half a dozen people rearrange their cars - will use up too much goodwill.

Conclusion

Therefore I think I am inclined to go for a slighlty smaller quantity and get 8 bulk bags from Wickes, and swallow the extra £50 or so it will cost.

Have I missed out any keenly priced options?

Cheers

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

8t is a small lorry. I buy aggregate in either 20t or 13t loads, in either case it's a non-artic tipper lorry.

What about collecting directly from the quarry with a smaller vehicle? You'd need a decent 4x4 and heavy duty trailer to make it worthwhile, but you'd get a very cheap quarry-gate price and have manageable load sizes. You might even find that you can turn up with bulk bags and get them to fill them and lift them onto your trailer.

I always use a local demolition/ recycling place. They sell gravel in either 10 or 20mm sizes, its very similar to golden gravel, but I get as much as I can on the back of my truck for £20 cash.

If I put 2 tonnes on the back it would work out at £10 a tonne, but obviously I wouldn't as that would put me over weight!

I'm sure the neighbours would move a few cars, people are generally very reasonable.

Count yourself lucky I'm having to pull off a diplomacy miricle that frankly Kofi Annan would be proud of! Try explaining to builders that they have to take "1 hour quiet breaks" so a rescue horse in an adjoining paddock can "de-stress". I kid you not!! 

:/ 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Temp said:

Especially if you spend the £50 on a BBQ for them.

I ate horse in Greece. That was barbecued. When I asked the taverna owner what it was he said "Is meat!" and made a galloping motion.

Personally I would not in theory be that sympathetic to the owners of such a horse :o. Not sure if I could follow through in practise.

Thanks for all the help on this thread.

In the end I went for 8 bulk bags at about £30 each delivered, so I can control exactly where they go and avoid paying anyone to shovel 8 tons around.

Still need the Audi Allroad and the big trailer.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

23 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

[...]

Still need the Audi Allroad and the big trailer.

Ferdinand

Do I detect a little iddy biddy bit of something akin to guilt in the back of your mind? Partners can be all too good at detecting the surreptitious (not to say gratuitous, or even highly revealing) insertion of the word 'need' into a sentence.

Teenagers are past masters at it.

• Like 1

A further comment would not be appropriate. :D

Had 150 blue bricks in the Corsa this morning, mind, and at present I do not have a 4m sized trailer secure storage facility.

Edited by Ferdinand

13 hours ago, Barney12 said:

I'm sure the neighbours would move a few cars, people are generally very reasonable.

Count yourself lucky I'm having to pull off a diplomacy miricle that frankly Kofi Annan would be proud of! Try explaining to builders that they have to take "1 hour quiet breaks" so a rescue horse in an adjoining paddock can "de-stress". I kid you not!! 

:/ 

I wired a few houses at the Findhorn Foundation, where we were not allowed to start work before a certain time because we might disturb meditation.......

6 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

I am looking forward to getting rid of my project Land Rover - and the digger- it'll mean that we're nearly finished

M digger has gone, but the Landrover. No way.