Do I have Efflorescence on my walls?

So far I have tried a vinegar and water solution. I have also tried a chemical solution called salt away.  I have used a jetwash afterward.

What I have tried has failed to remove it.

Do I have Efflorescence on my walls? If I do how do I get rid of it?

wall.jpg

Is that at the level of the DPC? I'm wondering if rainwater is getting into the wall higher up and running down inside the cavity before emerging through the bricks at the DPC level? If that's possible check to see how the water is getting in higher up and fix that. Then when the wall is drier try brushing off the efflorescence with a stiff broom. Avoid wire brushes as they can scratch up the brick.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ennogs said:

Do I have Efflorescence on my walls? If I do how do I get rid of it?

Yes - looks like it is below some sort of damp proof course so is likely being driven out through the moisture in the lower bricks. This can happen irrespective of ground conditions though and when bricks are laid that are very wet for example. 

How old is the house and when did it appear?

In house is 10+ years and and the efflorescence is new then most likely it's due to a more recent change/leak .

If the house is newish then could be just a natural/common issue with new bricks. 

On 01/07/2022 at 12:47, Temp said:

How old is the house and when did it appear?

In house is 10+ years and and the efflorescence is new then most likely it's due to a more recent change/leak .

If the house is newish then could be just a natural/common issue with new bricks. 

The walls are about 30 years old.  The Efflorescence strated appearing about 2 years ago.

14 hours ago, ennogs said:

The walls are about 30 years old.  The Efflorescence strated appearing about 2 years ago.

I would expect it to have appeared earlier if normal efflorescence.  I think there is a chance something may have changed 2 -4 years ago. Check for blocked or overflowing gutters? Any pipes in the area? New paving? Anything that could make the wall a bit wetter than it was before.

Dont buy a product called Salt Neutraliser - it is garbage.  Even called them up a few months ago to point that fact out and they said their chief scientist would call me back. Still waiting...

Have bought something else but haven't used it yet. Judging from the number of health warnings on the side it should have some poke.  The other crap may as well have had 'serve below 6 degrees' on the side as it was probably just water!

I used 20% ethanoic acid (aka acetic acid)

The trick was to treat the wall in the solution until the surface efflorescence visibly dissolves or clears, leave it for an hour or so then rinse off with clean water, without drenching the wall.

I did it a couple of times on the persistent patches and now it's fine

Brush down with properly stiff synthetic brush, then......

A solution of white vinegar, approx 1 part to 8 / 10 of water and sponge onto surface. Leave for ten mins and wash off excess. Repeat as required.

Definitely improves it.