Jump to content

Is a surge protected CU worth it when living in the sticks.


Recommended Posts

We haven't lived here a year yet but so far we've had several short power cuts of five to twenty seconds. Is fitting a retrofit SPD in the CU or even a new SP CU worth the effort. We currently have the computer equipment running off a SP extension board.

 

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HGVM02SPD.html

 

Edited by Gone West
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Power cut isn’t a surge, so your call, if fitting a new consumer unit I would install it definitely, that unit only fits a Hager board so you have to watch if you have space in the existing that it’s not type tested for other manufacturers equipment 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, TonyT said:

Power cut isn’t a surge, so your call, if fitting a new consumer unit I would install it definitely, that unit only fits a Hager board so you have to watch if you have space in the existing that it’s not type tested for other manufacturers equipment 

A power cut isn't a surge but power surges can occur after an outage and we seem to being a lot of those. So if replacing the CU, fit one with surge protection. That sounds like a good idea then, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might think of AFDD ( Arc fault detection devices ) too along with surge protection as that's now in the second amendment and required I think next year? 

Edited by MikeSharp01
Edit to unpack acronym. (I know it messes slightly with some posts below but get it out up front.)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had our elec sign off last week. I ran all cables, etc electrician checked and fitted consumer unit, he fitted an anti surge and said they would be compulsary in the next round of regulations. We also fitted rcbo's on every circuit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

You might think of AFDD too along with surge protection as that's now in the second amendment and required I think next year? 

I had to look that up. That's interesting as arcing I would have thought would be a major cause of fires in CU. I shall have AFDD as well as SP then, thanks for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Do you get your supply by overhead cabling?

Yup, but I don't know if that is contributing to the number of short power cuts we get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is something I would definitely consider, especially after this... (though I don't know for sure surge protection would have worked). Knackd a few electrical items but luckily anything expensive wasn't plugged in.

20200916_150710.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Gone West said:

I had to look that up. That's interesting as arcing I would have thought would be a major cause of fires in CU. I shall have AFDD as well as SP then, thanks for that.

 

Sorry, wasn't trying to be cocky using the acronym. More here:

 

https://www.electrium.co.uk/about/news/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-amendment-2-18th-edition

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lost a couple of fax machines years ago after a storm (TN-S system). 

 

Same street where in another house up the road I had "blue lightning" come out horizontal from the socket during a massive electrical storm. Scared the sh!t out of me. I had the ring main fuse in my pocket and the DP main switch was off. Earth was the only path. Saying that it was all run in old imperial steel conduit. 

 

It happened!

 

Edited by Onoff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi been in our house North Bude GCHQ area for over 6 years we have numerous small power cuts some we don’t notice the clock on the microwave is the tell other items must have a capacitor in them as a few minutes is ok for them, very little needs resetting. No surge protection. Wiring about 20yrs old. Never had any problems with a surge following a power cut. One computer a big iMac needs unplugging for a minute before it will restart. No blown tv’s, or routers etc. I think it’s something you just get use, I certainly don’t worry about not having surge protection. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Just what was it that went bang rather spectacularly?  Any "before" photo?  Was it something plugged into that now rather sorry looking socket?

Don't have the before photie unfortunately. It was a bt socket that went bang. You can see the remains of it with the wire sticking out. A router was plugged in above. It was also beyond repair.

 

The CU was remarkably intact inside - everything checked post bang. It did melt and warp adjacent to the bt socket so we had it replaced. This was not from a standard power cut/storm though. Buzzard flew into the transformer that serves the house from the overhead line. It was mostly stuff attached to bt sockets that got fried, according to the guy the DNO sent out he's seen a few similar instances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jamieled said:

Don't have the before photie unfortunately. It was a bt socket that went bang. You can see the remains of it with the wire sticking out. A router was plugged in above. It was also beyond repair.

 

The CU was remarkably intact inside - everything checked post bang. It did melt and warp adjacent to the bt socket so we had it replaced. This was not from a standard power cut/storm though. Buzzard flew into the transformer that serves the house from the overhead line. It was mostly stuff attached to bt sockets that got fried, according to the guy the DNO sent out he's seen a few similar instances.

I guess the buzzard formed a circuit from the HV primary to the LV secondary.  I very very much doubt any surge protection devices would have helped there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...