Broken mains electric

Digger1

Now this is a difficult one, ethically the person/company causing the damage should take responsibility but as you are the employer then it’s technically you.

are you paying day rates or contract price?

47 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

We had similar episode.

They called out the DNO to do emergency repair (after calling me in a panic) - was fixed same day and no idea who got the bill in the end but it was not me.

Something similar happened on my build. UK Power Networks fixed it for free. I would call UKPN and not really tell them to much other than there is a live mains which has been exposed/punctured, it's dangerous, etc. They should come out pretty sharpish and fix it.

I did this with my JCB, didn’t cut the cable just folded it tight and the inner core pushed through the insulation which really surprised me with a buried cable, called out the engineers, explained that I, a poor, OAP was trying to build my own house, lots of tea and coffee (and bull shit) and I never got a bill 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First house a Victorian terrace full of lead pipes, water and gas, even gas lights in the walls. Chopping them all out with a hammer and bolster, one of them turned out to be a lead sheathed incoming main. Fortunately the bolster was rubber covered but I was still thrown across the room and the lights went out. Anyway, repair was free!

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I did this with my JCB, didn’t cut the cable just folded it tight and the inner core pushed through the insulation which really surprised me with a buried cable, called out the engineers, explained that I, a poor, OAP was trying to build my own house, lots of tea and coffee (and bull shit) and I never got a bill 👍

Never EVER, trust old people. They have a lifetime of cons tucked up their sleeves ;) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Digger1 said:

How long ago was this?

im very suprised people here didn’t receive a bill, why would they repair for free…

Time, effort, who to blame...... They just want zero liability or comebacks from a member of the public getting injured or killed.

1 hour ago, Bonner said:

First house a Victorian terrace full of lead pipes, water and gas, even gas lights in the walls. Chopping them all out with a hammer and bolster, one of them turned out to be a lead sheathed incoming main. Fortunately the bolster was rubber covered but I was still thrown across the room and the lights went out. Anyway, repair was free!

Jesus! Lucky escape there.

• 1 month later...